The Diaco Love...

huskerfan69

10 hours ago, lo country said:

I am still undecided on Diaco, but hard to not see improvement.  Regardless of quality of opponents, the D has shown improvement since the 2nd half vs Oregon.  When you have your QB spotting teams points, it hurts.  When your play calling puts you right back on the field, it hurts.  One thing I like is the continued evolution of getting pressure.  Today, although Rutgers, we saw a lot of stunts and blitzes.  I also witnessed CB's playing press coverage!  I really like the fact he is playing a lot of guys.  Some due to injuries and some by design.  He is building depth.  Something Cav seems completely unable to or simply chooses not to......

Hearing/reading all the pre-season hype I thought the O would have to cover the D to keep us in games.  Score often and a lot.  4 games in, I realize that the D will have to carry this team if we want to continue to win.

you finally saw that after the usual give em 10yards any time they want approach which will continue to cost us games

this guys D philosophy is garbage and how much are wepaying for this again$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

4 hours ago, brophog said:

As I'm always saying, don't judge a blitz until you see it fail. Fans generally want to be more aggressive than the one calling the plays, because they can afford to do so.

Today, Diaco could afford up do so, because Rutgers never handed him the check.

While I agree with what you are saying, it is just good to see these thing exist within Diacos scheme and he is willing to call them when we have struggled to get pressure all season. He is just less stubborn than I thought and willing to attempt to do something about where we have been weak thus far. His attempts may be the wrong approach and we get torched for it at some point, but the fact that he is making these adjustments is just good to see. 

32 minutes ago, marko polo said:

you finally saw that after the usual give em 10yards any time they want approach which will continue to cost us games

this guys D philosophy is garbage and how much are wepaying for this again$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I agree.  3 games we saw no press (or blitzes/stunts) at all and it cost us games.  Unsure if what we saw Sat is the actual way Diaco will run the D or what was the first 3 games.  IMO, its odd we saw so many different things when we were missing several starters on D.

Regardless, if Riley goes (and I think he will be gone) this entire staff is probably gone as well.  From the performance thus far, not a bad idea.  I like the ability to recruit, but the classes are not much better than Bo's and for all the talent, there is no development...

I am not sold on our D yet. Still, need to play someone with a pulse in the Big Ten before the D (and Diaco) is legitimized. However, I do think Diaco was saving some of his blitz and twist concepts for Big Ten play and that is why we didn't see as much in the non-conference schedule. He doesn't seem to like to put too much on film. For example, in the spring game, he had our D line up in the 4-3 for that very reason. 

54 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree.  3 games we saw no press (or blitzes/stunts) at all and it cost us games.  Unsure if what we saw Sat is the actual way Diaco will run the D or what was the first 3 games.  IMO, its odd we saw so many different things when we were missing several starters on D.

Regardless, if Riley goes (and I think he will be gone) this entire staff is probably gone as well.  From the performance thus far, not a bad idea.  I like the ability to recruit, but the classes are not much better than Bo's and for all the talent, there is no development...

absolutely agree

Nice thread, everyone. Let's not acknowledge that our defense took some steps forward in the past 2 1/2 games because we're anticipating some really good teams beating our ass down the road.  Whether that happens or not, let's anticipate it will and be preemptively upset about it.

No progress is progress until we have an untouchable defense. 

• Plus1 4