Trending down in the Trenches?

Multiple posts today suggesting MR has gone mostly after 4-5 star skill recruits at the expense of not going after and getting O and D linemen like Wisconsin.  Is that really true....a hint of truth?  Well I was curious so I looked.  Here's what I found, be your own judge.

2017 Wisconsin O line signees:

OG Kayden Lyles ****

OT Tyler Beach ***

OG Logan Bruss ***

Wisconsin D line signees:

WDE Van Dinkle  ***

WDE Green-May ***

SDE Vopal ***

2017 Nebraska O line signees:

OT Jaimes ***

OT Sichterman ***

OG Bando ***

OT Walker ***

Nebraska D line signees:

DT Thomas ***

WDE Thomas ***

DT Daniels ***

DT Watts ***

Plus 2  for Nebraska in 2017

2016 Wisconsin O line signees:

OT Van Lanen ****

OT Kasl ***

DT Rand ****

SDE Biadesz ***

WDE Preston ***

WDE Benzschawel ***

2016 Nebraska O line signees:

OG Raridon ****

OT Farniok ***

OT Brokop ***

OG Wilson ***

Nebraska D line signees:

WDE Alexander ***

SDE Stille ***

WDE Englehaupt **

In MR's two full recruiting classes he's signed more Interior Linemen:

8 O-linemen to Wisconsin's 5. 

3 DT's to Wisconsin's 1

11-6 Advantage N

Not quite the picture I was led to believe.  The above numbers show we are MOVING in the right direction.  Sure looks to me like MR's plan, as evidences by his recruiting, is building a team that will be doing the pushing and not getting pushed around.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

Multiple posts today suggesting MR has gone mostly after 4-5 star skill recruits at the expense of not going after and getting O and D linemen like Wisconsin.  Is that really true....a hint of truth?  Well I was curious so I looked.  Here's what I found, be your own judge.

2017 Wisconsin O line signees:

OG Kayden Lyles ****

OT Tyler Beach ***

OG Logan Bruss ***

WDE Van Dinkle  ***

WDE Green-May ***

SDE Vopal ***

2017 Nebraska O line signees:

OT Jaimes ***

OT Sichterman ***

OG Bando ***

OT Walker ***

Nebraska D line signees:

DT Thomas ***

WDE Thomas ***

DT Daniels ***

DT Watts ***

Plus 2  for Nebraska in 2017

2016 Wisconsin O line signees:

OT Van Lanen ****

OT Kasl ***

DT Rand ****

SDE Biadesz ***

WDE Preston ***

WDE Benzschawel ***

2016 Nebraska O line signees:

OG Raridon ****

OT Farniok ***

OT Brokop ***

OG Wilson ***

Nebraska D line signees:

WDE Alexander ***

SDE Stille ***

WDE Englehaupt **

In MR's two full recruiting classes he's signed more Interior Linemen:

8 O-linemen to Wisconsin's 5. 

3 DT's to Wisconsin's 1

11-6 Advantage N

Not quite the picture I was led to believe.  The above numbers show we are MOVING in the right direction.  Sure looks to me like MR's plan, as evidences by his recruiting, is building a team that will be doing the pushing and not getting pushed around.

Are you an assistant AD? The argument is that the 4-5 star talent that gives the high ratings is all in receivers, not the quantity of recruits. The significant thing here is that Wisconsin signed three 4 stars and we signed one.The recruit rankings are practically useless anyway though. It's how you train them that matters and in that area Wisconsin wins in a landslide.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, billdozer15 said:

I would argue this proves MR can't develope and motivate. 

So you really expect players to be on the field making a big impact in their RS Fr. year? We have seen 5 of 11 of those guys on the field this year and do pretty well so how exactly is that bad development? Or have D. Thomas, Stille, Jamies, Farniok all looked like they've had zero coaching??

You know I'm fine with wanting Riley gone, I understand, but damn you guys really exaggerate his shortcomings. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

So you really expect players to be on the field making a big impact in their RS Fr. year? We have seen 5 of 11 of those guys on the field this year and do pretty well so how exactly is that bad development? Or have D. Thomas, Stille, Jamies, Farniok all looked like they've had zero coaching??

You know I'm fine with wanting Riley gone, I understand, but damn you guys really exaggerate his shortcomings. 

Only 2 of the 4 you mention are on the O-line. Most the guys playing have had 3 years in Cav's system. Have you seen any marked improvement?

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, fire mike said:

Only 2 of the 4 you mention are on the O-line. Most the guys playing have had 3 years in Cav's system. Have you seen any marked improvement?

Well Raridon has also played. The guys Riley have brought in haven't been here long enough to be our top lineman which is fine, ideally we want our juniors and seniors to be better than our redshirt frosh 

And I have seen improvement actually, 5 straight games with a 100 yard rusher and Lee sacked only once I believe against Wisconsin who got NW 8 times. The line has been steadily improving. 

• Plus1 1

I think cav is the weak link in this formula.  We have talent on the O-line squad but it amazes me sometime when I see guys that don't hold their blocks or are out of position for their assignment. almost looks like practice sometimes.  I think the D-line has came a long way in this new system.  I think they got winded in the 4th against a relentless wisconsin run attack.  Adam C said it best in his gut reaction...  "it was like getting beat by your evil twin"  the way Nebraska used to tear down opponents with long run drives.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

I think cav is the weak link in this formula.  We have talent on the O-line squad but it amazes me sometime when I see guys that don't hold their blocks or are out of position for their assignment. almost looks like practice sometimes.  I think the D-line has came a long way in this new system.  I think they got winded in the 4th against a relentless wisconsin run attack.  Adam C said it best in his gut reaction...  "it was like getting beat by your evil twin"  the way Nebraska used to tear down opponents with long run drives.

Cav is a complete moron.  I think the o-line has improved since Decker and Jaimes have entered the starting lineup. But those guys only sniffed playing time because there were injuries in front of them. I don't know what he sees in practice or if he plays favorites to certain guys, but when he kept on saying Cole Conrad was the best center, when he's obviously not, it shows me that Cav is dumb and stubborn. 

• Plus1 3
27 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

Hit it on the head about the defense. If we had about 4 more nasty bad boys who could come in for a spell on the D line we would have fared alot better near the end I think.

The offense seems like a Langsdorf problem to me. We can run the ball and we can pass it efficiently but we can't pass it efficiently if we don't run the ball. I don't think we've attempted 2 runs in a row if the first run goes for less than 4 yards all season. We get stuffed on first and 10 then he just passes until we punt. Whenever we hit on a run we will start stringing them together and typically have a good drive. We have to run more on 2nd and 9 but truth is we never do that and it kills us. 

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Well Raridon has also played. The guys Riley have brought in haven't been here long enough to be our top lineman which is fine, ideally we want our juniors and seniors to be better than our redshirt frosh 

And I have seen improvement actually, 5 straight games with a 100 yard rusher and Lee sacked only once I believe against Wisconsin who got NW 8 times. The line has been steadily improving. 

Improved since it hit rock bottom last year, sure, ok.

Improved since 2014.... that's debatable at best.

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Cav is a complete moron.  I think the o-line has improved since Decker and Jaimes have entered the starting lineup. But those guys only sniffed playing time because there were injuries in front of them. I don't know what he sees in practice or if he plays favorites to certain guys, but when he kept on saying Cole Conrad was the best center, when he's obviously not, it shows me that Cav is dumb and stubborn. 

Rob Zatechka has been talking about this on his podcast (Husker Doc Talk). They're off this week, but next week's podcast should be interesting.

• Plus1 1