Sexism - It's a Real Thing

Know what tradition is being followed when people pass things off as "warm and cuddly", "flirty", "just boys being boys", "no filter", etc. We're all by default trained in this ritual so we know how to execute it if called upon. Realizing that this is not the appropriate, just-being-reasonable response takes some active rewiring. But it's necessary.

On Roman Polanski. A good thread comparing the incongruity in defending him while being on board with everything else:

I especially appreciate tweet 13: "The tropes offered to defend Polanski are the tropes being used to defend Roy Moore or Harvey Weinstein or others. The people who used those tropes empowered them, normalized them, legitimized them." Knowing what these tropes are and how easy they are to feel reasonable to use is important.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, zoogs said:

On Roman Polanski. A good thread comparing the incongruity in defending him while being on board with everything else:

I especially appreciate tweet 13: "The tropes offered to defend Polanski are the tropes being used to defend Roy Moore or Harvey Weinstein or others. The people who used those tropes empowered them, normalized them, legitimized them." Knowing what these tropes are and how easy they are to feel reasonable to use is important.

Popehat is a good read, especially if you're serious about 1st Amendment issues.

This woman is just disgusting.

First, if she reported sexual harassment, people should have taken her seriously.  However, she has the gall to say something like this while she was and still does fully support a man with many many many women accusing him of sexual harassment.  AND...they all support a child molester for Senate.

She loses all credibility when she starts going to the liberal vs. conservative crap.

• Plus1 2

Bra-feaking-vo, John Oliver. 

Of all the people I have ever followed in media, I think Oliver ranks near tops in this disregard. He isn't just there to do the polite job of making you life. Especially since he began Last Week Tonight, he makes a mission of raising the right amount of ruckus to shine an appropriately glaring light. I appreciate him so much. I didn't know there were these allegations about Dustin Hoffman, and really he's one of the very last people on earth I would have expected. Do you guys remember this? 

This was shared to me at a time when I absolutely did not "get" it, and it took years for me to understand why someone was trying to communicate this to me. Of all people I would have thought, Dustin Hoffman is someone who really gets it. But - BUT! This of course does not mean the allegations don't have merit. And facing uncomfortable questions at inconvenient times ... bravo, again. It needs to happen more. It's a culture that is overly permissive to begin with, and as quick to dismiss as it is to rehabilitate. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

John Oliver...when you aren't clever or funny turn to attacking people.

:bang

Oliver is excellent at all three. If you don't watch his show, you should. He makes fun of everyone - even himself - and has some of the best deep dives into today's issues.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Oliver is excellent at all three. If you don't watch his show, you should. He makes fun of everyone - even himself - and has some of the best deep dives into today's issues.

Meh....not my thing.

I've never really liked any of these types of comedians/commentators.  Sure, I've seen a clip here or there that I thought was pretty decent of his.  But, a steady diet of it is not for me.