** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

As much as I'd like to see frost as our coach, I don't see it happening. It's just bad timing. One of the main reasons he took the UCF job is because recruiting is so easy there to implement his offense. Despite his and his staffs Nebraska ties, I think hes more likely to turn down a Nebraska offer and hold out a year or two more until he gets an offer from a big school with great local recruiting.

2 minutes ago, MileHighHusker said:

As much as I'd like to see frost as our coach, I don't see it happening. It's just bad timing. One of the main reasons he took the UCF job is because recruiting is so easy there to implement his offense. Despite his and his staffs Nebraska ties, I think hes more likely to turn down a Nebraska offer and hold out a year or two more until he gets an offer from a big school with great local recruiting.

It's possible but I don't think he would struggle that much to land players that he is already landing at UCF for his offense and better.  Do you really think UCF out recruits Nebraska?

• Plus1 1

I understand the "easy" part about not having to travel much to recruit, but National recruiting is a part of every major job. You just hire guys that are go getters and the traveling you do is at CLOSING time.

which is why you keep guys like the Williamses on staff. Definition of GO GETTERS

Edited by ScottyIce
9 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

It's possible but I don't think he would struggle that much to land players that he is already landing at UCF for his offense and better.  Do you really think UCF out recruits Nebraska?

They ranked 55 for the 2017 class.  One four star kid out of Memphis.  The rest were 2-3* guys.  IIRC, there were 21 kids in the class with 11 being from Florida.  Local kids with higher rankings are going elsewhere.  UF, FSU, Miami or other P5 programs.  What people are seeing at UCF is a coach with "less" who is actually doing "more".  He has a competent staff with a shared vision and a definitive scheme to recruit and implement.  no square peg round hole stuff going on...

Short answer, they don't out recruit NU.  They simply out scheme and out coach...

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I understand the "easy" part about not having to travel much to recruit, but National recruiting is a part of every major job. You just hire guys that are go getters and the traveling you do is at CLOSING time.

which is why you keep guys like the Williamses on staff. Definition of GO GETTERS

Nebraska outrecruits UCF, yes. But recruits from Florida are less likely to come to Nebraska when their family and friends may not be able to watch all their games (as others have noted). 

Another aspect that some of you (happy) current Nebraska residents might not understand is that the quality of life is so much higher outside of the plains and Midwest. I'm a Nebraska alumni, and despite loving NU athletics, I could never move back. This obviously may not be a factor for football coaches (especially when you make > $1m), who probably don't have much of a life outside of coaching.

9 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I'll throw in that Frost is from NE, he played at NU....He definitely knows the issues in recruiting.  The reality is win and they will come....

He had the rep as a solid recruiter at Oregon....Unsure where the "doesn't like to recruit" comes in. I know he said he likes recruiting in Florida and that it's "easier", but don't see where he's said he dint want to....

8 minutes ago, lo country said:

They ranked 55 for the 2017 class.  One four star kid out of Memphis.  The rest were 2-3* guys.  IIRC, there were 21 kids in the class with 11 being from Florida.  Local kids with higher rankings are going elsewhere.  UF, FSU, Miami or other P5 programs.  What people are seeing at UCF is a coach with "less" who is actually doing "more".  He has a competent staff with a shared vision and a definitive scheme to recruit and implement.  no square peg round hole stuff going on...

Short answer, they don't out recruit NU.  They simply out scheme and out coach...

Lol no kidding, that's why we are trying to hire them! Plus they would have more talent to work with.

Edited by ScottyIce
4 minutes ago, MileHighHusker said:

Nebraska outrecruits UCF, yes. But recruits from Florida are less likely to come to Nebraska when their family and friends may not be able to watch all their games (as others have noted). 

Another aspect that some of you (happy) current Nebraska residents might not understand is that the quality of life is so much higher outside of the plains and Midwest. I'm a Nebraska alumni, and despite loving NU athletics, I could never move back. This obviously may not be a factor for football coaches (especially when you make > $1m), who probably don't have much of a life outside of coaching.

I live in Midwest. Have travelled everywhere in the US. Have no intention to ever move there though. Everyone is different.

Edited by ScottyIce
1 minute ago, ScottyIce said:

Lol no f'ing s#!t, that's why we are trying to hire them! Plus they would have more talent to work with.

Haha.  I was agreeing  with you.  I think he would recruit very well here.  No worse than Bo and Riley have.  Like you, I really think he could do great things here.

Just now, lo country said:

Haha.  I was agreeing  with you.  I think he would recruit very well here.  No worse than Bo and Riley have.  Like you, I really think he could do great things here.

Sorry, I realized that.  That's why I edited to sound less pricky. I thought initially we were going to debate that riley might be better schematically lmao.

6 minutes ago, MileHighHusker said:

Grew up in NE.  Lived in Miami.  I'd take NE.......

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, MileHighHusker said:

Bolded is incorrect according to almost every study on QOL based in the States.  Midwest contains the highest QOL.  

You can be talking from personal experience, which is fine but to say Midwest has lower QOL overall is false.  

• Plus1 4
11 minutes ago, famoustitles said:

Bolded is incorrect according to almost every study on QOL based in the States.  Midwest contains the highest QOL.  

You can be talking from personal experience, which is fine but to say Midwest has lower QOL overall is false.  

You're absolutely right. My experience and that of my close friends and family.

• Plus1 1

As I read and listen to all things SF I wonder this: Scott is about to become a Dad for the first time in his life. Nebraska is one of the best places in the country to raise a family.  I think he might be thinking this is a great time to go back home and get his new little family established. I could be totally wrong but unless his wife is from Florida (anyone know?) This could be a strong deciding factor. He can his whole staff, of whom many have Nebraska ties, and they can start rebuilding Big Red Football!

Edited by ladyhawke