Coach search......if needed

C N Red

3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Coaching searches are simple-  3 lists...

1- Who do we want to hire list.

2- Who is willing to come here list.

3- Who are the regents and Booster willing to support.

Hire the best guy out of the ones that appear on all three lists.  

I think the "We" in your first bullet is the term in question.  At least it was last time.  

10 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Very true.  The "we" needs to be someone the new AD is willing to gamble his career on.  Such a weird position the AD holds...  placing 100% of your career in the hands of someone else who may or may not be willing to do what you ask.  

You need to take a risk if you want to take the next step. I don't think it has to be AD career suicide though if the AD and fans both understand it needs to be a risk and that risk could fail. Big 'if', I know.

11 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Very true.  The "we" needs to be someone the new AD is willing to gamble his career on.  Such a weird position the AD holds...  placing 100% of your career in the hands of someone else who may or may not be willing to do what you ask.  

Do you really think that after firing an AD who apparently was the sole decision maker in hiring Riley, the administration would turn Moos loose to hire the next coach on his own? I hope there is more oversight this time.

If they make the decision for him, there is almost no accountability.  What coaches are employed rests fully on the AD's shoulders.  At a minimum, the AD needs to be very comfortable with the "suggestions" made by the University and the boosters when it comes to hires.  Why else pay this person the kind of money that we do?  Heck, we wouldn't even need someone qualified if they don't have to make decisions.  Just hire some pretty young woman who can just be the talking piece for the media...smh.

If the decision is to fire Mike Reilly (which is looking very likely) I would absolutely LOVE to see him "resign" and take another job in the Nebraska Athletic Department. I think he is a good man, with a lot to offer the University---just presently not as the head football coach.. I think he could be an amazing recruiting type coordinator. Keep some continuity in the program. Remove any perception of "bad will" towards firing a coach (who may have inherited a messy situation) and just could not get it done in time. Given his past ties with Moos, I think this would be a great move. 

3 minutes ago, Keith.Wassung said:

If the decision is to fire Mike Reilly (which is looking very likely) I would absolutely LOVE to see him "resign" and take another job in the Nebraska Athletic Department. I think he is a good man, with a lot to offer the University---just presently not as the head football coach.. I think he could be an amazing recruiting type coordinator. Keep some continuity in the program. Remove any perception of "bad will" towards firing a coach (who may have inherited a messy situation) and just could not get it done in time. Given his past ties with Moos, I think this would be a great move. 

He doesn't really have any ties to Moos, other than the fact they "know each other" from competing against each other in the Pac-10/12 days.

I'm sorry, but I don't want Riley to be affiliated any longer with the NU athletic department.  Yes, he's a very nice guy, and is a good representative of the University, but that's about it.  I don't want him helping the next coach at all.  I want this football program torn down to the foundation, allowing Moos and the new coach to do so.

Just now, Keith.Wassung said:

I could just see him be a huge asset to recruiting esp on the west coast---and given that will be paying him anyway, why not get something in return?  It would not be like he is being retained on the staff

I don't think we should have the former Head Coach who has been fired for failing to win being kept around to "assist" the new coach.  You aren't the only one who has commented on keeping Riley around, but it's just ridiculous.  Let the old man go back to Oregon and live in retirement.

6 minutes ago, husker98 said:

Can't find anything if moos used a search firm at Oregon or Wazzu for hires. Nothing in the articles about the courting of leach mentions a firm either.

I think he will do the work him self make a decision and then run it past bounds and green for approval

Exactly. For better or worse, a lot of universities value the football program (or basketball) more than the scholastic side. I wont debate which way NU falls, but for such an important decision, I wouldn't think the AD would have full autonomy, nor should said AD believe he/she should. I agree, Moos will put in the work to find who he wants, then present his case(s) to his leadership.