NU staff trying to find a way to get TE's involved

1 hour ago, InOmaha said:

1) Why give your upcoming opponent a heads up on your game plan.

2) If you want your tight ends to catch the ball more, have them run routes and throw it to them more.

3) Stop throwing the ball long on 3rd and 2 .... sorry that just slipped out.

Maybe it's misdirection and they're going to YOLO bomb Purdue instead.  That actually seems plausible now that I typed it out.

• Plus1 2
49 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Maybe it's misdirection and they're going to YOLO bomb Purdue instead.  That actually seems plausible now that I typed it out.

Not sure what our YOLO success rate has been over the years but I suspect its pretty low.  But, as many times as we seem to keep going back to it, maybe I am wrong?  It reminds me of a gambling addict who is always trying to "win it back".  YOLO failed again..... but I know it going to work "next" time.

3 hours ago, Isle of View said:

NU staff trying to find a way to get more sprinkles on cupcakes

pQk0BF.gif

You maniacs! Now Riley is messing with forces of nature he can't comprehend...

...like how 'Dorf doesn't comprehend how boundary running plays work (that aren't the Jet Sweep). 

32 minutes ago, adc7236 said:

Not sure what our YOLO success rate has been over the years but I suspect its pretty low.  But, as many times as we seem to keep going back to it, maybe I am wrong?  It reminds me of a gambling addict who is always trying to "win it back".  YOLO failed again..... but I know it going to work "next" time.

An accurate analogy I've actually fallen into watching our games. Incomplete pass? Hopefully we pass again to get a first down! You quickly learn that it's not a winning strategy and I wasn't advocating going full YOLO. Although I was typing and thinking about it as an alternative to whatever we are currently doing but didn't do the math. Maybe it's time. Assuming 13 possessions/gm gives 40 YOLO downs. If we complete 10% YOLOs for touchdowns we score 28 points. I think we have something! 

I hope Langsdorf is not reading this.

Edited by 4skers89

2 hours ago, InOmaha said:

1) Why give your upcoming opponent a heads up on your game plan.

2) If you want your tight ends to catch the ball more, have them run routes and throw it to them more.

3) Stop throwing the ball long on 3rd and 2 .... sorry that just slipped out.

:thumbs

Number 3 made me chuckle.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I also think they have miscalculated how critical the fans and media can be when things don't go well.  They just aren't used to this microscope, and it's not a good fit.

That's close but I think it's more that they aren't used to much scrutiny at all. Hell at Oregon State most of the fan base and media was probably tinkled pink with a mind blowing upset every couple of years. This staff likely hasn't had to deal with fans that understand the game better than they do. Check that...that understand the game better and care enough to express it. I'm sure the OSU fans understand the game but just didn't care enough to get too frustrated.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, El Diaco said:

That's close but I think it's more that they aren't used to much scrutiny at all. Hell at Oregon State most of the fan base and media was probably tinkled pink with a mind blowing upset every couple of years. This staff likely hasn't had to deal with fans that understand the game better than they do. Check that...that understand the game better and care enough to express it. I'm sure the OSU fans understand the game but just didn't care enough to get too frustrated.

I think we are saying the same thing.

EDIT:  Basically, NU fans know good football when we see it.  We haven't seen much of it under Riley (or any of the previous coaches post-Osborne).

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

OK...this is where I have to step away and point out where delusional fans are exposed through frustration.

I don't care who you are, even with bad coaches, you don't understand or know the game better than they do.

Sure, we can point out areas where we are frustrated.  But, fans would not be better at coaching than they are.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...this is where I have to step away and point out where delusional fans are exposed through frustration.

I don't care who you are, even with bad coaches, you don't understand or know the game better than they do.

Sure, we can point out areas where we are frustrated.  But, fans would not be better at coaching than they are.

Maybe as a general statement it is delusional but I can guarantee there numerous individual instances where some of our fans know better than what this staff has done in some situations. It may be easier in our shoes to second guess and play Monday morning quarterback and likely none of us could do a better job but I promise you many of us know better than they in many situations. If we didnt, these pages wouldn't be overflowing with griping and legitimate criticisms.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

Maybe as a general statement it is delusional but I can guarantee there numerous individual instances where some of our fans know better than what this staff has done in some situations. 

Just odds will tell you that will happen. It's one vs a field of thousands, for practically any call someone in the field will get something right.

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

Just odds will tell you that will happen. It's one vs a field of thousands, for practically any call someone in the field will get something right.

It's more than "odds" with this staff. Unless you guys want to begin making the argument as to how very capable they are. Otherwise just nod along and agree.

1 minute ago, El Diaco said:

It's more than "odds" with this staff. Unless you guys want to begin making the argument as to how very capable they are. Otherwise just nod along and agree.

You have an argument if you consider $/win. Pull together a handful of Nebraska HS coaches and cut the $/win to a third of what we are paying. We might end up with a few less wins but outstanding bang for the buck.