NU staff trying to find a way to get TE's involved

13 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

It's more than "odds" with this staff. Unless you guys want to begin making the argument as to how very capable they are. Otherwise just nod along and agree.

This is what our local media does when I wish someone grew a pair and asked a tough question. Some few did during the Monday presser and it left Riley almost at a loss for words.

Yeah, he is so done after this season and he knows it.

1 hour ago, alwayshusking said:

Would rather see them find a way to keep the TEs off the field as much as possible and try to spread the defense out. 

The TEs aren't good blockers nor are they threats in the passing game. Them being on the field makes the offense easier to defend.

True, but the 10 personnel choices arent great, either, and you can still spread the field laterally with 11 personnel. We just don't. 

5 hours ago, El Diaco said:

That's close but I think it's more that they aren't used to much scrutiny at all. Hell at Oregon State most of the fan base and media was probably tinkled pink with a mind blowing upset every couple of years. This staff likely hasn't had to deal with fans that understand the game better than they do. Check that...that understand the game better and care enough to express it. I'm sure the OSU fans understand the game but just didn't care enough to get too frustrated.

Kind of along those lines but I think it's pretty obvious that Riley hasn't really put much effort into really evaluating his assistant coach hires for some time.  Sure seems like he got comfortable at OSU and was content - for whatever reason - to just kind of roll with what was going on.  Keep the band together and roll down the road.  Probably why they had been in steady decline for several years before they got here.

Otherwise I don't know how you can possibly begin to explain his coordinator hires when he got here.  Banker had been with him forever.  Yet he apparently struggled mightily to even draw up how his defense would even line up against a given formation, let alone a scheme to stop the plays it might run.  Yet given the chance to go in a new direction, he chose the comfortable route.  I'm really not sure that he would have fired Banker had Eichorst not brought in Devaney to be in his ear.

With Langsdorf, he'd also been Riley's OC for several years.  He only had play-calling duties for a short time then Riley took them back.  I can't think of any other explanation for doing that other than you don't think he was doing a good job at it.  Yet, despite not having any other play-calling experience, Riley hired him back and handed him the reigns.  And the results have been poor.  Probably similar to the last time he tried that but here were are again anyway.

And that's before you even mention having a "full-time" assistant who was not only terrible at his job but only asked to stay for the first half-hour or so of practice.  Apparently he wasn't even worthy of trying to help with any other aspect of the program.  Just walked out and left everyone else to do their jobs.

I have not idea why anyone would expect that type of management style to be effective.

• Plus1 3

5 hours ago, brophog said:

Uh, wut?

Yeah, do we have a goal for TOP? If so does an offense that YOLO bombs on 3rd and short get us to that number? Does it help keep the defense off the field and ball away from the other team? You may not score in every possession but the you had better figure out how long you want to hold the ball for and does your offense get you there.

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...this is where I have to step away and point out where delusional fans are exposed through frustration.

I don't care who you are, even with bad coaches, you don't understand or know the game better than they do.

Sure, we can point out areas where we are frustrated.  But, fans would not be better at coaching than they are.

Well, sure...but that is true for everything.  I mean...we rip on basically tons of different jobs that we have never done.

With that said, I have worked with a few high school coaches that I feel understand the game better than a lot of college coaches.  Basically once you understand the basics the rest is all learning how to break down film and learning how/when to call plays.

And to the people that mentioned how Riley had it "easy" at OSU...It is true...the fans are not "the boss" or the coach and the reporters are not "the boss" and the radio show guys are not "the boss" but there is a HUGE difference from having 1 or 2 reporters at a game and maybe 4 hours a week of talk radio about your program compared to what happens in Nebraska.  

It is like college baseball coaches...for YEARS those guys basically hid at their jobs with no pressure from anyone...but that has changed at a lot of places.

Edited by teachercd
  • Plus1 1

I remember early in Riley's tenure here he said when he was at osu he sometimes only had like 60 scholarship players some years.  I dont think Riley has the ability to manage a roster of this size scholarship and walkons.  

This job is just to tough for this coaching staff, they just cant handle it.  It shouldn't be week 8 and you're still trying to figure out your offensive line rotation.  

Riley runs the risk of being 1-2 verse Purdue after this week. Unacceptable.  Good luck in retirement Riley.