What Did We Learn?.....Purdue

The Duke

Our rushing game was particularly bad in the red zone where it mattered most. We actually did try to run in the red zone enough times to satisfy what I personally would like to see, and our line just didn't play well. I do think things would be at least somewhat better in that category if Bryant didn't have the knee injury and was 100% healthy. 

If two out of our four field goals had been touchdowns, we probably would have a much different outlook on the game. We wound up with 471 total yards. We just couldn't get into the end zone enough once we reached the red zone.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Our rushing game was particularly bad in the red zone where it mattered most. We actually did try to run in the red zone enough times to satisfy what I personally would like to see, and our line just didn't play well. I do think things would be at least somewhat better in that category if Bryant didn't have the knee injury and was 100% healthy. 

If two out of our four field goals had been touchdowns, we probably would have a much different outlook on the game. We wound up with 471 total yards. We just couldn't get into the end zone enough once we reached the red zone.

The lack of a mobile QB also hurts in the red zone.  Just once, I would like Lee to keep one of the zone reads (where it's not a read, because he's handing it off every play).  He could probably waltz into the end zone.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

If two out of our four field goals had been touchdowns, we probably would have a much different outlook on the game. We wound up with 471 total yards. We just couldn't

Considering how many yards were gained in the 4th quarter while we were chasing the game, that yardage total likely shrinks under this scenario, especially given how poorly we ran the ball.

4 minutes ago, brophog said:

Considering how many yards were gained in the 4th quarter while we were chasing the game, that yardage total likely shrinks under this scenario, especially given how poorly we ran the ball.

That's a good point.

But, we did have many more successful drives in this game (regardless of whether or not Purdue sucks). Drives meaning, picking up first downs, moving the chains. My main takeaway is just how bad our offensive line has been this season at run blocking; really hurt us in the red zone against Purdue.

A good D-Co puts players in postion to succeed.  Regardless of the scheme being new or not, you find ways to let your players make plays.  Diaco to me is bigger joke than Riley at this point.  He says stupid stuff like we are going to be the best D in college football.  I mean, really, If I were from Missouri I would say "Show me"  All this talk from this staff lately is stupid.  They are obviously scared for there jobs.  They are trying to play to Moos and his discretion.  No matter what Moos says about him being a hard ball player, the school and its booster will decide if Riley is here or gone, and thats a fact.  AD's make money for the department.  If our big spenders say so, then its so.  Boosters may not get a lot of say in hiring, but they sure the hell do in firing.

On October 29, 2017 at 1:14 AM, brophog said:

I can't wait to see a replay of this because that's exactly what Riley is arguing. However, that rule does not mean you can't run a fake punt. "Simulates a scrimmage kick" is the key phrase there, and apparently that's what the refs told Riley.

Having seen it again, it was the correct call. It's actually a very flat trajectory for a pass of that depth. It does not satisfy the requirement for simulation. Furthermore, it doesn't satisfy the spirit of the rule: these are not two players engaged going downfield as they would on a punt. The defender does not even engage until the pass is to arrive. 

• Plus1 1