Development vs. Talent

Mavric

Just now, RedSavage said:

Don't know if it's all no development or if it's somewhat attributable to the defensive scheme, the switch to cb (maybe he'd be better at safety), or what but Lamar Jackson is one of the most disappointing players I've ever seen.  

IMHO, it is simply not realistic to expect someone who has basically never played cornerback before to be able to play corner at the Power 5 level as a true freshman.  Other than QB, it's probably the position that takes the most seasoning to know what you should be looking for, how you should react to certain things, etc. 

But the coaches were so hung up on him playing early that they forced him out there.  A lot of the recruiting pitch to him was we were going to let him play Boundary Corner which he really liked the sound of.  So there he was - until Jones got hurt and he switched to Filed Corner.  So now some combination of inexperience on his part and scheme is leading to tentative play or playing too soft so he doesn't get beat deep.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

IMHO, it is simply not realistic to expect someone who has basically never played cornerback before to be able to play corner at the Power 5 level as a true freshman.  Other than QB, it's probably the position that takes the most seasoning to know what you should be looking for, how you should react to certain things, etc. 

But the coaches were so hung up on him playing early that they forced him out there.  A lot of the recruiting pitch to him was we were going to let him play Boundary Corner which he really liked the sound of.  So there he was - until Jones got hurt and he switched to Filed Corner.  So now some combination of inexperience on his part and scheme is leading to tentative play or playing too soft so he doesn't get beat deep.

I would generally agree but half the time he looks like he’s never tackled someone in his life. Hopefully with another off season or two he can become the player we all think he could be.  

Edited by RedSavage
4 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

It would be so nice to get players to develop well at Nebraska. Not only that, but it would also be nice if we could just put the players in a position to succeed. Start doing that and we will see some improvement in the overall play in this program. 

BINGO!

I think that is a huge part of the "talent development" piece.

According to 247, we have had 10 4 star players in that time frame.  3 of them are redshirt freshmen.  I'm not going to say it's a development issue for them quite yet.

I would even hesitate to say there are development issues for any redshirt sophomores either.  

It just may take a little longer for some than others

Edited by StPaulHusker
  • Plus1 1

Gates has gotten worse. Rob Z has been harping on that for awhile. Of course, he's said that most of the OL has barely improved too.

I also think Benning's comments on talent evaluation is interesting. Bascially, the staff seems to be able to evaluate high school kids, but struggle with finding the best guys on their own team.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

I agree! Do you think Lamar Jackson would do better at safety or is he set to play corner in college? And do you think he could potentially make one on one tackles with B1G runningbacks if he had to?

Listening to the rest of that segment, Benning really went off on Jackson.  Not on the player himself - he said he's not giving up on him yet.  But on how he's been handled.

First, he said he watched a lot of his high school film when he was still in high school and didn't get the feeling that he should be playing defense in college.  Said he thought he'd been a lot more dynamic on offense.  Second, he noted that he really didn't need to have much technique in high school - didn't have to play responsibilities, didn't have to be in the run fit.  He was allowed to just sit in the middle of the field (safety), find the ball and go make plays.  So he never really had to develop the skills needed to play corner in college.  He said he still has time to develop those which is why he hasn't given up on him.  But he basically said he wasn't anywhere near prepared to do what we've been asking him to do.

Me personally, I think he' be much better at safety.  But it would be best if he was in coverage most of the time and not being asked to get down in the box on run support.

• Plus1 7
52 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Don't know if it's all no development or if it's somewhat attributable to the defensive scheme, the switch to cb (maybe he'd be better at safety), or what but Lamar Jackson is one of the most disappointing players I've ever seen.  

I don't blame Jackson, I blame the coaches.  If you insist on a position switch, you must redshirt to develop.  If you made a promise of immediate playing time in recruiting, you are doing a disservice to everyone involved.