Gary Patterson

jessica0

I still content that had Bo not been screwed out of the Big XII title he won in 2009, he'd still be coaching today. 

That 2009 Big XII title game and how it was (mis)handled by Beebe really left a sour taste in our collective mouths, and I think we ultimately took that frustration out on Bo, which helped gestate the seed of animosity between Bo and the fans. 

Not saying Bo shouldn't have been fired or anything like that--just saying things would be on a *much* different trajectory had Texass not used the Big XII officials to weasel their way to the NC. 

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

We had one blowout loss (loss by 20+ points) in 2009.  None in 2010

I wasn't commenting on blowout losses, I was commenting on Cdog's comment about the defenses.  I understand 2010 was very good, but 2009 was dominant by the end of the season.  The Texas Tech game was an outlier compared to the rest of that season, as that was the only game NU allowed more than 20 points (allowed 20 to CU), and 7 of those Texas Tech points were scored by their defense.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I wasn't commenting on blowout losses, I was commenting on Cdog's comment about the defenses.  I understand 2010 was very good, but 2009 was dominant by the end of the season.  The Texas Tech game was an outlier compared to the rest of that season, as that was the only game NU allowed more than 20 points (allowed 20 to CU).

Understood

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I'll contend that if we could have paired the 2009 with the 2010 defense, we'd at least have played in a BCS bowl. 

All we needed was one less second on the clock to win a conference championship and play in a BCS bowl - and probably a BCS bowl win over a less-than-stellar UConn team.

Success at one school (TCU) does not necessarily imply success at another school (NU).  Each program/culture/business is unique.  Stoops, Gundy, M Brown and Pelini..at the time were considered were not established coaches.  M Brown is not a good coach.  See his track record at UTA.  The way I see it if you are the HC at UTA and not putting up Saban'esque numbers you are a complete failure given the best recruiting base and financial support in the known universe.  Stoops is a great coach but aside from Heupel and Calmus team in 00 he had not won a NC in over  a decade (no disprespect because I think he honestly is the 2nd best coach to Saban in the last 20 years).  Gundy is like Stoops lite with not so great defensive leadership on his staff.  Pelini got the nod because he had experience with coaching at NU, had a good track record for defense and had just won a NC at LSU.  S*** happens and you can't tell the future.  Moving forward I hope we get a coach who is younger and can stay here and establish continuity with the leadership of the program, dominate our division (at least), compete for B1G championships annually and stick around 9-10 wins per season while consistently getting into the CFP.  Also run the program with integrity and return us to a respectable place in NCAAF.  /end rant

2 minutes ago, HIHusker said:

Success at one school (TCU) does not necessarily imply success at another school (NU).  Each program/culture/business is unique.  Stoops, Gundy, M Brown and Pelini..at the time were considered were not established coaches.  M Brown is not a good coach.  See his track record at UTA.  The way I see it if you are the HC at UTA and not putting up Saban'esque numbers you are a complete failure given the best recruiting base and financial support in the known universe.  Stoops is a great coach but aside from Heupel and Calmus team in 00 he had not won a NC in over  a decade (no disprespect because I think he honestly is the 2nd best coach to Saban in the last 20 years).  Gundy is like Stoops lite with not so great defensive leadership on his staff.  Pelini got the nod because he had experience with coaching at NU, had a good track record for defense and had just won a NC at LSU.  S*** happens and you can't tell the future.  Moving forward I hope we get a coach who is younger and can stay here and establish continuity with the leadership of the program, dominate our division (at least), compete for B1G championships annually and stick around 9-10 wins per season while consistently getting into the CFP.  Also run the program with integrity and return us to a respectable place in NCAAF.  /end rant

I get the financial angle.  But literally only Saban is Saban'esque.  There is no one like him.  So every football coach is a failure regardless of recruiting base and financial support.

• Plus1 1