The Democrat Utopia

2 hours ago, nic said:

Is he a comedian? ...or maybe a late night host. Either way, it makes sense that he is a free speech purist. It helps his rating...or maybe hurts. He complains about wokeism in all sorts of areas. Gender identity, free speech as you mentioned, new justice policies, you name it. He almost sounds like a conservative or maybe liberaterian.

For knowing all this about Bill Maher, you don't seem to know much about Bill Maher.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

2 hours ago, nic said:

It certainly seems like there is more division based on race than there was even 5 years ago. 

While there's a speck of legitimacy that the incredibly tiny ultra left crowd has progressed into regressivism,  the bigger point here is that just because you weren't aware of racial division 5 years ago doesn't mean it wasn't there.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

One might ask why a campaign for greater equity and inclusion is being called divisive. 

Also a bit jarring to see confederate flags, anti-semitism, and white Christian nationalism being openly displayed and endorsed as they haven't been in years, not to mention the rhetoric of the man who became president six years ago. 

TBH, Black Lives Matter may not have existed without cell phone cameras, graphically proving there was more division based on race than we wanted to believe. The fact that a lot of people don't want to talk about it is a pretty good reason to talk about it. 

The campaign for inclusion and equity is divisive because of how its being driven as much as any resistance you are referring to. Both sides can take some blame here.

Flags never bothered me, except maybe when the American flag is burned, but that is expressing free speech ...so be it. I would agree anti- semitism has increased, but not just from the skinheads...also from the left. It is surprising to see the skinhead type being as bold as they are versus hiding in a basement. Lots of groups out there full of hate are getting bolder. Left and right. 

BLM has its faults. When I see fires burning, looting and vandalism  after BLM protests it takes alot away from the March. Maybe MLKs approach was better. It certainly accomplished more.

• Thanks 2

For knowing all this about Bill Maher, you don't seem to know much about Bill Maher.

Not sure what you're getting at. I really only see clips. I used to think we would be polar opposites politically , and figured he was arrogant. Now I am surprised that I am agreeing with some of his stuff. Very surprised. I still think he is arrogant though.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

While there's a speck of legitimacy that the incredibly tiny ultra left crowd has progressed into regressivism,  the bigger point here is that just because you weren't aware of racial division 5 years ago doesn't mean it wasn't there.

There has always been division, and in my opinion it's getting much worse not better. Not everyone is as enlighten as you I guess. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

CA is becoming bizarro world.    This is also a state that says “hey feel free to start changing your minors sex if they say so, but hell no on allowing a minor to get a tattoo even with parental consent.  That is so permanent and life altering that the kids brain are not developed enough to make the tattoo decision!!”  

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202320240AB957

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

CA is becoming bizarro world.    This is also a state that says “hey feel free to start changing your minors sex if they say so, but hell no on allowing a minor to get a tattoo even with parental consent.  That is so permanent and life altering that the kids brain are not developed enough to make the tattoo decision!!”  

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202320240AB957

I mean...I think 99% of people that get tats, especially at a young age, do regret them later on.

I am not super proud of my Netscape tattoo and my AOL tattoo.  I sort of thought those things would be around forever.  

Anyway, I am off to go get my Ask Jeeves tattoo in about an hour.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I mean...I think 99% of people that get tats, especially at a young age, do regret them later on.

I am not super proud of my Netscape tattoo and my AOL tattoo.  I sort of thought those things would be around forever.  

Anyway, I am off to go get my Ask Jeeves tattoo in about an hour.

I believe it to be much easier to remove a tattoo when it’s regretted than later in life replacing the knockers that were lobbed off or changing the effects of puberty blockers when the idea of being a different sex wore off.  

Just don’t remove that Backstreet Boys tattoo! 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I believe it to be much easier to remove a tattoo when it’s regretted than later in life replacing the knockers that were lobbed off or changing the effects of puberty blockers when the idea of being a different sex wore off.  

Just don’t remove that Backstreet Boys tattoo! 

knockers!  I am dying!

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, nic said:

The campaign for inclusion and equity is divisive because of how its being driven as much as any resistance you are referring to. Both sides can take some blame here.

Flags never bothered me, except maybe when the American flag is burned, but that is expressing free speech ...so be it. I would agree anti- semitism has increased, but not just from the skinheads...also from the left. It is surprising to see the skinhead type being as bold as they are versus hiding in a basement. Lots of groups out there full of hate are getting bolder. Left and right. 

BLM has its faults. When I see fires burning, looting and vandalism  after BLM protests it takes alot away from the March. Maybe MLKs approach was better. It certainly accomplished more.

If we're being honest, the "campaign" we're talking about has its roots in roughly a decade of incidents -- caught on camera for the first time -- of Black people being unnecessarily killed by police. The pinnacle was unambiguous footage of a cop taking 9 minutes to kill George Floyd while fellow police and bystanders watched. By this point everyone realized that without the cell phone footage, Derek Chavin would be policing the same streets today. In the meantime, we're taking a closer look at all the other ways racism lingers in this country. It's not divisive to the millions of white people who support better equity and inclusion, but it is divisive to the people who just want the topic to go away. Maybe that's what you're talking about. A bunch of those people are busy cleaning up textbooks and scouring libraries so white people don't have to feel so bad about slavery. Many will swear to God they're not racist. Meanwhile, the overt racists are thrilled Donald Trump and the Republican Party seems to tacitly support their dream of an inevitable Race War. 

Anti-semitism isn't just coming from the skinheads, either. It's coming from elected Republicans, the clean-cut folks who attend their rallies, and the bottom-feeding (yet well funded) influencers who have a disturbingly large number of followers. Anti-semitism from the Left? There's certainly concern about the Israeli treatment of Palestinians, but that's hardly Elders of Zion stuff. 

BLM indeed has its faults, but surely you know the acts of looters don't change the purpose and organization of the the protests, which continue to align with MLK, who peacefully protested while entire neighborhoods burned. Some people will argue, accurately, that BLM is more of a political catch phrase than actual entity at this point.

FWIW, you see fires, burning, looting, and vandalism after Super Bowl victories, too. 

If we're still being honest, this isn't just a black & white thing. There's a fresh and yet familiar political language being used to blame Blacks, Jews, Hispanics, Asians and Gays for whatever ails America. History will show that when allowed to take hold, this kind of thinking always ends badly. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4
14 hours ago, nic said:

Not sure what you're getting at. I really only see clips. I used to think we would be polar opposites politically , and figured he was arrogant. Now I am surprised that I am agreeing with some of his stuff. Very surprised. I still think he is arrogant though.

Well you specifically listed some of Maher's anti-woke positions, then asked if he was a comedian or talk-show host, as if you know nothing about the guy whose various clips you sought out  -- the same guy with a 20 year reputation that you presumed leaned liberal.

I apologize if this seems judgmental, but it's really hard to tell if you are open-minded and a bit naive, or if that's a role you play in order to engage in P&R.  

• Haha 1
  • TBH 3

If we're being honest, the "campaign" we're talking about has its roots in roughly a decade of incidents -- caught on camera for the first time -- of Black people being unnecessarily killed by police. The pinnacle was unambiguous footage of a cop taking 9 minutes to kill George Floyd while fellow police and bystanders watched. By this point everyone realized that without the cell phone footage, Derek Chavin would be policing the same streets today. In the meantime, we're taking a closer look at all the other ways racism lingers in this country. It's not divisive to the millions of white people who support better equity and inclusion, but it is divisive to the people who just want the topic to go away. Maybe that's what you're talking about. A bunch of those people are busy cleaning up textbooks and scouring libraries so white people don't have to feel so bad about slavery. Many will swear to God they're not racist. Meanwhile, the overt racists are thrilled Donald Trump and the Republican Party seems to tacitly support their dream of an inevitable Race War. 

Anti-semitism isn't just coming from the skinheads, either. It's coming from elected Republicans, the clean-cut folks who attend their rallies, and the bottom-feeding (yet well funded) influencers who have a disturbingly large number of followers. Anti-semitism from the Left? There's certainly concern about the Israeli treatment of Palestinians, but that's hardly Elders of Zion stuff. 

BLM indeed has its faults, but surely you know the acts of looters don't change the purpose and organization of the the protests, which continue to align with MLK, who peacefully protested while entire neighborhoods burned. Some people will argue, accurately, that BLM is more of a political catch phrase than actual entity at this point.

FWIW, you see fires, burning, looting, and vandalism after Super Bowl victories, too. 

If we're still being honest, this isn't just a black & white thing. There's a fresh and yet familiar political language being used to blame Blacks, Jews, Hispanics, Asians and Gays for whatever ails America. History will show that when allowed to take hold, this kind of thinking always ends badly. 

Isn't there antisemitism coming from everywhere, including the black community? A lot of the attacks on Asians were also from  blacks, but suppose that is because Trump called it the China Virus.  Jews seem to get blamed for everything by everyone. I would suggest that Talib and Omar are antisemitic. Neither of us know them personally so I won't say it with certainty, but I would place the bet.

The leaders of BLM certainly made some money. They didn't end up looking great. The followers were at least authentic. A Denver policemen showed me phone videos of the protests they were not peaceful. I was told the after dark looters were a combination of gangs, Antifa and white supremist groups...which is an odd combination.

Race War? Sounds like conspiracy theories. The rhetoric these days might cause a self fulfilling prophecy, I guess. Going around accusing folks (strangers if you will) of being awful people for whatever reason probably isn't going solicit a positive response. If you're right though, I guess that doesn't matter. Drop the gloves and go at it.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Well you specifically listed some of Maher's anti-woke positions, then asked if he was a comedian or talk-show host, as if you know nothing about the guy whose various clips you sought out  -- the same guy with a 20 year reputation that you presumed leaned liberal.

I apologize if this seems judgmental, but it's really hard to tell if you are open-minded and a bit naive, or if that's a role you play in order to engage in P&R.  

All of his anti woke positions were in two clips. And yes, most everyone in the political thread seems judgmental, but it doesn't bother me at all. Judge away. I am good with it. I have my opinions about some posters too. :) 

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, nic said:

I would suggest that Talib and Omar are antisemitic. Neither of us know them personally so I won't say it with certainty, but I would place the bet.

In such a hypothetical world where you could prove this to win or lose a bet, you'd lose it. Being critical of the state of Israel != being anti semitic.

3 minutes ago, nic said:

The leaders of BLM certainly made some money. They didn't end up looking great. The followers were at least authentic. A Denver policemen showed me phone videos of the protests they were not peaceful. I was told the after dark looters were a combination of gangs, Antifa and white supremist groups...which is an odd combination.

First of all a big 'lol' towards your increasingly wacky anecdotal stories that you seem to lean on heavily for your perception of the world. Second, what does 'they were not peaceful' mean? 100% of the people there weren't peaceful? 1% of the people there weren't peaceful? The leaders weren't peaceful? Random unidentified people on the streets who may or may not have anything to do with the protest weren't peaceful?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1