The Democrat Utopia

9 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Yeah her policies wont pass, that doesn't mean they wouldn't benefit the majority of americans and what the polling shows most americans want.  Polling doesn't lie.  Even Fox News found out the hard way last week with their 70% tax rate for the rich poll.

Tax season is upon us.  The middle class is already realizing they got screwed with these tax cuts.  The 70% marginal tax rate will be a hot topic for years to come and more middle class will get behind when they finally realize they got the shaft and the rich got richer.

It seems like she just talks up the progressive ideas and rolls with it.

Climate change and going green is good for everyone. Medicare for all is good for everyone. Paying everyone to live is good for everyone. We just need a way to pay for it all. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Fine, then go start one and work for it. But, don’t force that on others. 

If it works better, the job market and work place will migrate that way. 

I haven't said anyone should be forced into a worker coop. I agree that we should try out worker coops and see how they work.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Climate change and going green is good for everyone. Medicare for all is good for everyone. Paying everyone to live is good for everyone. We just need a way to pay for it all. 

We can afford medicare for all. There are just forces at work that would lose a lot of money that do their damnedest to make as many people as possible think it's crazy.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Waldo said:

They could just use some of the thousands of dollars i pay in taxes every year, to do some of those good things for me, instead of using it mostly for thing i don't care about. Hell id even be open to paying a little more into taxes if i actually got something in return for it.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

They could just use some of the thousands of dollars i pay in taxes every year, to do some of those good things for me, instead of using it mostly for thing i don't care about. Hell id even be open to paying a little more into taxes if i actually got something in return for it.

Not sure if serious

5 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I could not a

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not sure if serious

I think he's serious and I agree.  For example, healthcare:  I'd gladly pay and extra $6000 in taxes a year if it meant my family had full medical coverage with no deductibles or co pays.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Huh?  yes that's serious

Do you drive on roads? Did you go to K-12? Do you have kids that go/went through K-12?  Does the existence of the military protect you? How about the fire and police departments? Have you ever visited a national park that was maintained? Been to an airport/ridden on a plane? Consumed clean water?

@funhusker  You're picking one thing you'd like. He's saying he's not getting things in return. I agree with the health care thing and I think there is a lot of waste but I just get tired of people who want to lower taxes until they're nothing and think they get nothing from them (not saying Big Red 40 is necessarily doing that - the comment just reminded me of it). I would wager the vast majority people get more from taxes than they put in. It's just difficult to pinpoint what we are getting out of it individually, which is why so many people hate taxes.

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Do you drive on roads? Did you go to K-12? Do you have kids that go/went through K-12?  Does the existence of the military protect you? How about the fire and police departments? Have you ever visited a national park that was maintained? Been to an airport/ridden on a plane? Consumed clean water?

I think that's why he said "more"....

@Moiraine I took his comment as a rebuttal to Waldo (since it was quoted) talking about how these "pipedreams" need to be paid for.  I guess I assumed @Big Red 40 was frustrated at how some of our current taxes were being spent (wars, subsidies, interest) just like all of us.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yes and with the exception a massive military spending i think its money well spent. My problem is more with medicare and social security taxes that many people in power are trying to make sure i never get anything in  return for.  I want that money (or more) used to fix social security and provide medicare for all. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Big Red 40 said:

Yes and with the exception a massive military spending i think its money well spent. My problem is more with medicare and social security taxes that many people in power are trying to make sure i never get anything in  return for.  I want that money (or more) used to fix social security and provide medicare for all. 

We're in agreement there. I believe it would be easy to fix social security and make it last long enough to outlast the baby boomers. There just isn't the desire to.

• Plus1 1

I'm starting to think the last 15 minutes started because of some sort of misunderstanding....

Cheers :cheers

We all agree that taxes aren't spent in the best way.

We all agree that more should be done with what we do pay.

We'd consider paying more if it were assured to be put to good use.

• Plus1 2