LJS Letter 12/3: Riley made NU football fun again

zoogs

http://journalstar.com/opinion/letters/letter-riley-made-nu-football-fun-again/article_cf3052a6-0650-563f-950f-375b1f664c8b.html

For once, I wanted nice guys to finish first. You know what? Nice guys did finish first. First in appropriate behavior, first in caring.

Mike Riley needs to know that we care about him, too. Go Big Red, Coach Riley! Thanks for all your time and effort.

:thumbs

Edited by zoogs

Farewell, Coach Riley.  But he isn't the only person on the planet who can treat players and others with respect.  Fitzgerald, Ferentz, and Brohm are all nice guys as far as I know, they finished ahead of Riley.

Riley may have been good for some fans and players, but his on field results may have taken the fun out of the game for players.  Ozigbo himself said this morning that he wasn't able to relax and enjoy this season.  And his reason for not relaxing was not because he was scared of making Riley mad.

edit: I don't mean to sound like I don't appreciate Riley the man, I do.  But no one thought Riley was less than a great guy.  No matter how nice he was, he wasn't getting done what he was hired to do.  Personality aside, he didn't fit at Nebraska; he tried his best but it wasn't near enough.  Articles or letters like this make it seem like his demeanor wasn't appreciated when that couldn't be further from the truth.  His positive attitude may have been the only reason most fans were willing come back for year 2.

Edited by funhusker
  • Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Farewell, Coach Riley.  But he isn't the only person on the planet who can treat players and others with respect.  Fitzgerald, Ferentz, and Brohm are all nice guys as far as I know, they finished ahead of Riley.

Riley may have been good for some fans and players, but his on field results may have taken the fun out of the game for players.  Ozigbo himself said this morning that he wasn't able to relax and enjoy this season.  And his reason for not relaxing was not because he was scared of making Riley mad.

If you can't trust @funhusker on the subject, who can you trust?  Winning is a lot of fun, just ask the UCF players.  The quote in the OP is so bizarre I don't know where to begin :facepalm:   Hopefully Riley won't feel compelled to take out a full page ad thanking himself for all of his accomplishments.

In all of my life there has never been a guy that has been more loved for being normal.  You are supposed to be decent, nice and respectful...you are supposed "show up to work on time".  That is what Riley did.  Great job.

I have worked with hundreds of people in my life...90% have been just like Riley...

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, teachercd said:

In all of my life there has never been a guy that has been more loved for being normal.  You are supposed to be decent, nice and respectful...you are supposed "show up to work on time".  That is what Riley did.  Great job.

I have worked with hundreds of people in my life...90% have been just like Riley...

You should write a letter about them :)

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Very true and I agree with you.  Though I will say that Riley’s attitude, when compared to other coaches, was rare.  He was accessible, realistic and respectful.  I’ll miss him for that.

Thst person’s letter about the games being fun again because you didn’t know who was going to win — I don’t think so.  Most of the games were frustrating to watch because many times, Nebraska lacked the killer instinct to just finish off an opponent.  

In the old Big 8 days, I used to imagine what it was like to be Iowa State or Missouri — when each of the conference games truly was a toss up.  I used to think how fun that might actually be if you didn’t expect to win every Saturday like we used to.  But now that we’re living it — it’s definitely more fun to mow over the opponents that you expect to beat.

I don’t know man, this was the least fun season from a fan perspective I can remember in 10 years. 

Id say that if the players felt it was fun then that’s a good thing. But the comments since the Frost hiring on twitter seem to reflect a good amount of frustration. 

I just cant characterize Riley’s tenure as anything but a giant failure. While he did give the program a much needed facelift from a PR perspective, the onfield product got worse and the fan base division was status quo at best. 

• Plus1 1

sorry, but nothing was fun about anything this past season.  And I'd argue the two seasons prior, but I'm going to leave that as a personal thing.  It was pure torture for me personally from game 1 2015.  I just personally hate his style of offense, game management, and overall player management.

Edited by 614Husker
  • Plus1 2