LJS Letter 12/3: Riley made NU football fun again

zoogs

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

If this last season was fun...you think 120 days of Sodom was a comedy.  

Yeah the more I read it the more bizarre it seems to me. Throw out the win/loss aspect. We played a passive Vanilla defensive scheme with no attack or pressure. Our Oline was brutalized the majority of games. The team appeared to fold in the face of adversity on numerous occasions. It was really bad football. To each his own I guess  but the person who wrote that has a very strange football fetish if that was fun for them. 

• Plus1 4

10 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Id say that if the players felt it was fun then that’s a good thing. But the comments since the Frost hiring on twitter seem to reflect a good amount of frustration. 

This.

Mike Riley's brief tenure at Nebraska is deservedly over with.

10 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Yeah the more I read it the more bizarre it seems to me. Throw out the win/loss aspect. We played a passive Vanilla defensive scheme with no attack or pressure. Our Oline was brutalized the majority of games. The team appeared to fold in the face of adversity on numerous occasions. It was really bad football. To each his own I guess  but the person who wrote that has a very strange football fetish if that was fun for them. 

It would be like writing a letter because someone sort of held the door open for you during Xmas when you were walking into a mall.

I watched a number of video interviews with current players after meeting Frost today. Almost everyone mentioned that they were excited to have fun and that’s what Frost’s teams look like they do out on the football field. Riley’s teams didn’t look like they were having a lot of fun on the field. This fan may think that Riley made NU fun again, but ask the players how much fun they had playing football the past 3 years.

Also, it’s neat that you are continuing your crusade to make Coach Riley great at everything except for what he was hired to do, win football games. 

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 3

13 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

I’m with you. That was an extremely strange letter. About the only sentiment I agreed with was wanting to see the nice guy finish first. Unfortunately he didn’t. It seems like the letter writer didn’t enjoy the 80’s or 90’s and that pretty much disqualifies their opinion on anything else IMO. It wasn’t fun knowing you were going to destroy an opponent but it was fun going into numerous games on Riley’s watch knowing the Huskers stood no chance? If that’s fun maybe that person should try elective root canals or recreational colonoscopies. Personally, I haven’t enjoyed Husker football since about November 2001. Yesterday’s announcement and today’s presser are the best I’ve felt about Nebraska in about 16 years. The fact is Riley was a nice guy and he helped address some of the poison from the Pelini years while also introducing a softness never seen in this program in my lifetime. That doesn’t say much IMO about a head football coach at a program like Nebraska. Actually doing something to help make the players successful on the field would be a much more relevant accomplishment. Anybody who enjoyed these last three years is probably going to hate this program going forward because it isn’t going to resemble that. At. All. Thank God.

• Plus1 3
31 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

I don’t know man, this was the least fun season from a fan perspective I can remember in 10 years. 

Id say that if the players felt it was fun then that’s a good thing. But the comments since the Frost hiring on twitter seem to reflect a good amount of frustration. 

I just cant characterize Riley’s tenure as anything but a giant failure. While he did give the program a much needed facelift from a PR perspective, the onfield product got worse and the fan base division was status quo at best. 

"We're nice and our HC doesn't yell. Come join us while we get our teeth kicked in".  Botched facelift, IMO.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

In all of my life there has never been a guy that has been more loved for being normal.  You are supposed to be decent, nice and respectful...you are supposed "show up to work on time".  That is what Riley did.  Great job.

There's nothing normal about Mike Riley as a person of character, especially within the context of football coaches.

Is Tom Osborne also just a regular joe who gets way too much praise for being a normal guy?

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, olddominionhusker said:

Maybe they were masochists and enjoyed the pain.

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

There's nothing normal about Mike Riley as a person of character, especially within the context of football coaches.

Is Tom Osborne also just a regular joe who gets way too much praise for being a normal guy?

Yes but I don't praise him either.  

Riley is a normal person of character inside and outside of his job.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yes but I don't praise him either.  

Riley is a normal person of character inside and outside of his job.  

No he is not. Im sorry but that is not normal people character. Normal people piss and moan and give up when things get hard. Thats why normal people usually don't spend their entire lives making millions of dollars to do what they love. 

• Plus1 1