22 hours ago, ATS Knight said:

I mentioned this on another board as a reason to hire Walters. Walters could be HC for the game, Frost could be his OC and then a lot of the awkwardness goes away. Like a band reuniting for one show, even though they're all going their separate ways after. 

Most UCF fans are conflicted. We know that Auburn will be a tougher opponent than Baylor was in our last big bowl and that we have no chance with Heupel and a bunch of new assistants installing a new system in a few weeks. And I think most UCF fans admire Frost for actually wanting to be loyal to the players and not leave the school hanging. 

The most complicating factor is the recruit poaching. I'm not really sure WTH Frost is thinking with that. You can either be magnanimous or screw over your former team in these situations, but there's not a lot of gray area.

You're already screwing over the team by taking all the coaches and making sure the team will not be the same one that shows up at the bowl. But you can explain it away as "we have a good team of coaches, we wanted to stay together, didn't know who the new coach would be" and if you come back for the bowl, I think all reasonable people understand. 

But know one is forcing you to poach recruits. And I get it from Frost's perspective, most of these recruits committed to him and not the university and who knows if the new coach will want/utilize them. But it looks really bad. And it knocks down the magnanimity down quite a few pegs and leaves a lot of people very suspicious of what else you're capable of.

If I'm White, I tell him to stay away from the recruits or not coach in the bowl. Be a hero or a jerk, but don't try to be both, it just makes a lot of people unhappy. 

He's already a hero.

He's a coach trying to find players to fit his system. What better place to start than recruits he already was going after?

FHCMR was in Matt Snyder's house the night before he took the Nebraska job, trying to recruit him to Oregon State. Guess where Matt Snyder is playing now a days?

Mike Riley is considered the "nicest" coach ever. So if he can get away with it, so can HCSF.

Edited by ScottyIce
  • Plus1 3
On 12/7/2017 at 9:38 AM, ATS Knight said:

I mentioned this on another board as a reason to hire Walters. Walters could be HC for the game, Frost could be his OC and then a lot of the awkwardness goes away. Like a band reuniting for one show, even though they're all going their separate ways after. 

Most UCF fans are conflicted. We know that Auburn will be a tougher opponent than Baylor was in our last big bowl and that we have no chance with Heupel and a bunch of new assistants installing a new system in a few weeks. And I think most UCF fans admire Frost for actually wanting to be loyal to the players and not leave the school hanging. 

The most complicating factor is the recruit poaching. I'm not really sure WTH Frost is thinking with that. You can either be magnanimous or screw over your former team in these situations, but there's not a lot of gray area.

You're already screwing over the team by taking all the coaches and making sure the team will not be the same one that shows up at the bowl. But you can explain it away as "we have a good team of coaches, we wanted to stay together, didn't know who the new coach would be" and if you come back for the bowl, I think all reasonable people understand. 

But know one is forcing you to poach recruits. And I get it from Frost's perspective, most of these recruits committed to him and not the university and who knows if the new coach will want/utilize them. But it looks really bad. And it knocks down the magnanimity down quite a few pegs and leaves a lot of people very suspicious of what else you're capable of.

If I'm White, I tell him to stay away from the recruits or not coach in the bowl. Be a hero or a jerk, but don't try to be both, it just makes a lot of people unhappy. 

giphy.gif

• Plus1 5

This is Heupal's and  UCF's decision alone.  If they feel that having Frost coach is in UCF's best interests, then he should do it.  But ffrom a Husker fan's perspeective this game could be tricky with Frost coaching- do well and use it as a commercial.  Do poorly and that could also be a commercial-but not the good kind.  The wearing two lapel pins last night was telling- as a Husker fan I loved it, as a UCF fan I realize that his interest is split.  I would have been ok with him leaving off the N pin.  

49 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

This is Heupal's and  UCF's decision alone.  If they feel that having Frost coach is in UCF's best interests, then he should do it.  But ffrom a Husker fan's perspeective this game could be tricky with Frost coaching- do well and use it as a commercial.  Do poorly and that could also be a commercial-but not the good kind.  The wearing two lapel pins last night was telling- as a Husker fan I loved it, as a UCF fan I realize that his interest is split.  I would have been ok with him leaving off the N pin.  

A vocal group of naysayers would've been pissed if he left off the N pin and only had a UCF pin.

It's a trivial thing but also a 'don't bite the hand' that's now feeding you sort of thing.

9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

A vocal group of naysayers would've been pissed if he left off the N pin and only had a UCF pin.

It's a trivial thing but also a 'don't bite the hand' that's now feeding you sort of thing.

BUT- and just playing devil's advocate here because we have a "snow" day and I'm  bored- shouldn't he have answered Patrick's Nebraska questions since he was wearing both pins? 

LOL- I'm not doing well with this unity thing.  I'm addicted to drama

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

Unless he was required to wear the N but was allowed to wear the UCF pin. Just a thought. 

• Plus1 1

I think Scott Frost should ask his former UCF players if they want him to coach them.  Have the team vote on it.  Let the players decide what they want.  If they vote yes, then let Frost coach them in the bowl game.  If they vote no, move on.  (I would imagine that's what Frost did, but I don't know for certain.)

For the record, I am 100% fine with Frost staying at UCF to coach the bowl game.  Nebraska has sucked pretty badly the last 3 years, so 3 more weeks is more or less inconsequential.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I think Scott Frost should ask his former UCF players if they want him to coach them.  Have the team vote on it.  Let the players decide what they want.  If they vote yes, then let Frost coach them in the bowl game.  If they vote no, move on.  (I would imagine that's what Frost did, but I don't know for certain.)

For the record, I am 100% fine with Frost staying at UCF to coach the bowl game.  Nebraska has sucked pretty badly the last 3 years, so 3 more weeks is more or less inconsequential.

I don't know if there is a win or a right way to do things in this situation.  What are the players suppose to say?  Give me my old coach or give me my new coach?  I think it's an administrative decision- no guilt or forward consequences for the players.  

2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I don't know if there is a win or a right way to do things in this situation.  What are the players suppose to say?  Give me my old coach or give me my new coach?  I think it's an administrative decision- no guilt or forward consequences for the players.  

I don't necessarily disagree, but the players should (emphasis on should) have a voice and input on this because they're the ones most directly affected.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but the players should (emphasis on should) have a voice and input on this because they're the ones most directly affected.

If I were player I wouldn't want to be made to choose.  Not arguing, but I would think as a player you would have to align yourself with your new coach.  I think the players would choose Frost but I'm not sure if they want to publically acknowledge that. Let it be an adminstrative decision  

28 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I agree with this, it's about the kids more than the fans. With all the garbage happening, we're probably not going to win, but if it gives the team closure, it's worth the awkwardness. If the team is feeling hurt and betrayed, it's probably not worth the damage. 

• Plus1 1

I'm recalling an interview where Frost was asked about assembling his staff.  The statement and impression was close to, "Well, if the coaches want to come be a part of the next opportunity I want them to have it.  I owe them that."

When UCF passed on Walters as the HC ... I don't get why Frost gets blame about offering Walters to come with him.  He is extending the same opportunity as the other coaches.  The guy gets to double his salary and make a better name for himself so he can then land the best HC position.  Thus, it agitates me a bit how @ATS Knight can slant his view.  I get it however ... but is it truly honest and considerate with all the information known.  Finally, I also don't get the "take" on how it's wrong for Scott to offer these kids to come with him to Nebraska, if they want ... because they wanted to play for him and Scott's offense.  I'm thinking of 3-4 recruits that were committed to MR that since his firing have opened up their recruitment and are going other places.  Is ATS Knight wanting to express to our forum that all these kids must hold to their original commitment to MR and must play for Nebraska?  Again, I just don't think these comments are "honest" and "considerate".  I understand that you are a bit "butt-hurt", actually, a lot ... but I get that.

Finally, I think Scott has been more then open about his frustration in the whole process.  Note, he didn't create the process.  We will all probably see the mistakes and his mistakes more clearly after the fact ... but I give him my kudos for how he has tried to conduct himself and honor all sides.  At a minimum, we should all compare ourselves to his example ... most would fall far short ... if we are honest.