Nebrasetball Game #23: @ Rutgers (Wednesday, January 24- 6pm- BTN)

What will the result of the game be?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result of the game be?

• Nebraska win by single digits
    • Nebraska win by double digits
    • Rutgers win by single digits
    • Rutgers win by double digits

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/26/2018 at 12:09 AM

25 minutes ago, VitMan said:

I really like Allen but I just don't feel like he has the same moxie that Watson has. 

He's a freshman, so it's hard to be sure at this point, but I don't think he'll ever be as dynamic with the ball in his hand as Watson. Though, in his limited playing time you can see he has a high basketball IQ.

10 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Meh, I've never been a fan of how Watson plays off the ball. He needs the ball in his hand to be effective. The emergence of Palmer/Copeland has contributed to his decline in play in my opinion, but he needs to adjust and keep looking for his shot.

The thing is, he's shooting 36% this year, including an abysmal 29% from behind the arc. He should be doing what Palmer is and driving the ball, but even that hasn't been working for him. A change in responsibility might do him good.

16 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

The thing is, he's shooting 36% this year, including an abysmal 29% from behind the arc. He should be doing what Palmer is and driving the ball, but even that hasn't been working for him. A change in responsibility might do him good.

I would much rather have my point guard driving to the hoop trying to break down the defense and distributing the ball than throwing up 3s.

But...I'm old school and believe modern basketball offenses live off the three way too much all the way around.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would much rather have my point guard driving to the hoop trying to break down the defense and distributing the ball than throwing up 3s.

But...I'm old school and believe modern basketball offenses live off the three way too much all the way around.

Completely agree with you, especially when there's one, maybe two, players on the team that can reliably shoot 3s.  

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I agree with you, but modern basketball players also shoot it at a higher level, and it's not uncommon that all five positions on the floor are capable of hitting it.

I know it’s just high school, but, I look at our record boards for scoring and the top players are still from 30 years ago even though we have had some really good 3 point shooters the last 10 years. 

Our teams averaged more points back then too. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know it’s just high school, but, I look at our record boards for scoring and the top players are still from 30 years ago even though we have had some really good 3 point shooters the last 10 years. 

Our teams averaged more points back then too. 

My 3pt record still stands at my old high school 12 years later too :)

Yeah, like I said, I agree with you that there's an over-dependancy on the three point shot, but I just thinks that's in large part because there are more guys able to hit it on a consistent basis compared to 20 years ago.... And Steph Curry. It's always Steph Curry's fault.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
13 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

My 3pt record still stands at my old high school 12 years later too :)

Yeah, like I said, I agree with you that there's an over-dependancy on the three point shot, but I just thinks that's in large part because there are more guys able to hit it on a consistent basis compared to 20 years ago.... And Steph Curry. It's always Steph Curry's fault.

Ha. I think it was the Wisconsin game, but at halftime, there were 6th graders playing 5 on 5. And a majority of them were standing behind the college three-point line and chucking up threes. A couple of them made it but it really made me wonder what the coach was doing allowing his players to shoot from that far out. 

Anyway, I think Rutgers is a tough team to beat at home, but they don't wow you with their talent. Gonna need to go 6-2 and win one or two in the conference tourney to make the big dance. Also, improved play from role players is gonna be necessary for us to be successful.

Edited by HuskermanMike
1 hour ago, HuskermanMike said:

Ha. I think it was the Wisconsin game, but at halftime, there were 6th graders playing 5 on 5. And a majority of them were standing behind the college three-point line and chucking up threes. A couple of them made it but it really made me wonder what the coach was doing allowing his players to shoot from that far out. 

Anyway, I think Rutgers is a tough team to beat at home, but they don't wow you with their talent. Gonna need to go 6-2 and win one or two in the conference tourney to make the big dance. Also, improved play from role players is gonna be necessary for us to be successful.

That's a little young. I actually coach my daughters co-ed 5th/6th grade basketball team, and I have forbidden the 3 pt shot....

9 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

That's a little young. I actually coach my daughters co-ed 5th/6th grade basketball team, and I have forbidden the 3 pt shot....

I coach a 2nd grade team.  The first thing the kids do each time we take the court for practice is chuck 3s, although they have about a 2% chance of making them.  I have to tell them each time to move in and "practice shots you can make".  I have also told them if someone shoots one in a game I will call a timeout a remove them from the game immediately.  No one has taken one in a game yet.

I have a couple ideas to regulate it.  Count all shots as 2s until some grade (9th grade??).  And don't put 3 pt lines on courts that predominantly younger kids play at.

11 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

They have been out there playing at halftime several times and it is three after three every time unless they can get a layup.  I would hope that they don't play that way in real games but are trying to show off for the crowd.

12 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I applaud you for doing that. Honestly, coaches should get kids to want to get to the hoop first to open up the three-point shot. Until about 8th maybe 7th grade they can think about taking those shots, but long twos are better than them chucking threes at that age. I do not understand why a coach would allow that, especially from a college three-point line.                                           

2 hours ago, ECisGod said:

They have been out there playing at halftime several times and it is three after three every time unless they can get a layup.  I would hope that they don't play that way in real games but are trying to show off for the crowd.

I did not know they have been to several halftime games. I thought it was a one and done type deal for them. Yeah, the moment might be big, but they should be showing off their moves to the hoop at that age. It is just for fun anyway, but man has the game changed where kids want to just show up and chuck threes. The game of basketball is way more than that, it takes skill to shoot but it also takes skill to get by people and get to the hoop. I would argue at that age beating someone to the hoop is easier than making a wide open three.