2018 B1G Conference Tournament Seedings/Outlook

http://www.bigten.org/library/stats/mbb-confsked.html

Nebraska is currently slated to receive a double bye in the B1G tournament at MSG, meaning the team would need to win 3 games in 3 days to win the conference tournament and qualify for the NCAA Tournament. Problem is as of right now we would play Purdue in the semi-finals who is probably our worst matchup in the league. We are tied with Michigan in the conference standings but own the tiebreaker due to our win at PBA last week.

Last year's bracket for reference: 

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/17mbbtournamentbracket.pdf

Edited by seaofred92
  • Plus1 1

It's almost as if a double bye would be more of a hindrance, while a single bye (and a #5 or #6 seed) would be preferable, as it allows us to notch at least two likely wins before meeting (most likely) Purdue.

Then again, I'd prefer these kids win out and get a 4th place seed and be well-rested when taking down Purdue. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

It's almost as if a double bye would be more of a hindrance, while a single bye (and a #5 or #6 seed) would be preferable, as it allows us to notch at least two likely wins before meeting (most likely) Purdue.

Then again, I'd prefer these kids win out and get a 4th place seed and be well-rested when taking down Purdue. 

wins in the tourney as five or six seed will do nothing for this team in the eyes of the committee.

15 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:
20 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

wins in the tourney as five or six seed will do nothing for this team in the eyes of the committee.

That is incorrect. It might not do a lot, but it wont do nothing.

15 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:
20 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

If our admittance to the NCAA Tournament becomes an issue with the number of wins we have (something that can help overcome the lack of quality wins on our resume), then yes, being fifth and playing an extra game will help. 

Frankly, though, I don't think it will happen--I think Michigan and Indiana are going to stumble (both have decidedly tougher schedules) and we'll be a solid fourth place in the B1G, which should get us some notice and help separate us from the rest of the B1G teams. 

17 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

With OSU beating Purdue last night, it gives them in best shot at the #1 seed.  Assuming the Huskers don't completely collapse and get the #4 seed, they would get OSU in the semifinals.  I think the matchup with OSU is better for Nebraska than Purdue would have been.

Agree - Purdue's inside game is a terrible match-up for Nebraska, though if this team really clicks they could beat about anyone in the country.

17 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Agree - Purdue's inside game is a terrible match-up for Nebraska, though if this team really clicks they could beat about anyone in the country.

Purdue is easily the best team in the B1G but we played them super tough at Mackey and I dont think we are scared of them.

That being said, my preference would be Ohio State first.

tOSU would be a gift for us in the 2nd game.  Hell they could lose their 1st game.  They have definitely been the surprise team and they are good, but definitely beatable.  We should have beat them on the road.  We just need to avoid Purdue or MSU.  And we also can't act like we would just beat Michigan in our first game, that will be a much tighter matchup.  

1 hour ago, Blackshirts007 said:

tOSU would be a gift for us in the 2nd game.  Hell they could lose their 1st game.  They have definitely been the surprise team and they are good, but definitely beatable.  We should have beat them on the road.  We just need to avoid Purdue or MSU.  And we also can't act like we would just beat Michigan in our first game, that will be a much tighter matchup.  

Depending on how Michigan finishes up they might also be a bit more desperate for a win and some payback.

Also to note, Michigan is only a game up on Penn state and they play @ Penn state coming up.

That being said, Penn state's final 4 games are:

vs OSU

@ Purdue

vs Michigan

@ Nebraska

Never easy when you have to play 4 of the top 5 teams.