Help choosing a college...UNL or CSU?

22 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Why are you and Moiraine keep trying to get her away from me?:lol:

Actually I agree, I just don't see much difference as long as she's not living at home. I'm sure she'll get it figured out. It's her choice 100%, I'm just trying to help her get it all figured out.

Sorry dad!  

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Yeah, I'm not really worried about it with her. It was a huge problem for me though so it's hard for me to ignore the issue. I guess my wife's freshman year roommate was a partyer and it didn't affect her. But my frat days were all about everything except studying. I did just enough to get activated in the frat and it was downhill from there. Good memories though.

And I agree the sports would be much better at Nebraska but I doubt they are that important to her. I'm sure she'd go to the football games, some volleyball and maybe a few basketball but even though she's already a NU fan, she can take or leave watching the football games now. Of course I've kind of been that way the last few years, as painful as it has been to watch :lol:

In the end...the sports part will be important to her.  You know how it goes, the fall Saturday's in Lincoln will become her "life" at that time, it will become her biggest memories especially if she rushes and joins a house.  

• Plus1 1

One of the best things about UNL is being able to look forward to a football Saturday in the Fall. The entire city of Lincoln and state of Nebraska is focused on the game and having a ton of fun.  Home games are amazing because of the buzz in Lincoln, and road games turn into “what is everyone doing for the game”. Saturdays revolve around the game and the social aspect of it. CSU is nice, but the campus will NEVER have that type of atmosphere.  UNL could becoming even more special with the return of Frost and the team becoming prominent again. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

One of the best things about UNL is being able to look forward to a football Saturday in the Fall. The entire city of Lincoln and state of Nebraska is focused on the game and having a ton of fun.  Home games are amazing because of the buzz in Lincoln, and road games turn into “what is everyone doing for the game”. Saturdays revolve around the game and the social aspect of it. CSU is nice, but the campus will NEVER have that type of atmosphere.  UNL could becoming even more special with the return of Frost and the team becoming prominent again. 

So so so true

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Considering your daughter is getting scholarship $ from UNL, is she getting anything from CSU?  Just curious if that’s another factor to consider. 

She has a fair amount we know she'll automatically qualify for but they haven't sent anything official yet. I'm hopeful that she'll pick up some more $$ at UNL as well. She hasn't really applied for much of anything yet. UNL kind of sent that out of the gate, I think just because she had her SAT scores sent to them and showed some interest. She was kind of disappointed that Nebraska doesn't ask for letters of recommendation. She had an excellent one ready to go from one of her AP teachers who is a UNL alumni and she doesn't even get to use it. And that's been the hold up with CSU, they say they haven't received the required LoR yet but it was sent over a week ago. We should be hearing from them very soon

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

She has a fair amount we know she'll automatically qualify for but they haven't sent anything official yet. I'm hopeful that she'll pick up some more $$ at UNL as well. She hasn't really applied for much of anything yet. UNL kind of sent that out of the gate, I think just because she had her SAT scores sent to them and showed some interest. She was kind of disappointed that Nebraska doesn't ask for letters of recommendation. She had an excellent one ready to go from one of her AP teachers who is a UNL alumni and she doesn't even get to use it. And that's been the hold up with CSU, they say they haven't received the required LoR yet but it was sent over a week ago. We should be hearing from them very soon

My guess is that UNL mainly cares about test scores and high school grades. Been that way for decades. 

39 minutes ago, teachercd said:

In the end...the sports part will be important to her.  You know how it goes, the fall Saturday's in Lincoln will become her "life" at that time, it will become her biggest memories especially if she rushes and joins a house.  

I agree that she'll catch the fever and become a die-hard fan. As we know, that's pretty much a given once you've been there on a football Saturday. I'd say there is no chance at all she'll rush or join a sorority. That scene really isn't her thing. She's pretty much a bookworm, literally, she reads about 3 books a week for fun on top of her studies for 4 or 5 AP classes. We have really never had to tell her to do her homework and she's never got less than an A in any class. It's crazy really.

20 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I agree that she'll catch the fever and become a die-hard fan. As we know, that's pretty much a given once you've been there on a football Saturday. I'd say there is no chance at all she'll rush or join a sorority. That scene really isn't her thing. She's pretty much a bookworm, literally, she reads about 3 books a week for fun on top of her studies for 4 or 5 AP classes. We have really never had to tell her to do her homework and she's never got less than an A in any class. It's crazy really.

If she goes to UNL a lot of how she will act/become will probably depend on her roommate(s), that could be interesting.

I graduated from UNL six years ago - I majored in broadcast journalism but minored in marketing and poli sci so I spent a fair amount of time in other colleges. If she goes down the actuarial science path, they had a lot of talented professors and a really good business school when I was there. My best advice would be to tour both, measure their pros/cons and determine which might be the better fit academically. Overall, UNL has a lot of great student benefits (like tutors) available to all students and the resources to help her succeed if she seeks them out.

As for the "college life," I know next to nothing about Fort Collins, but Lincoln would almost certainly be the better athletic experience. I know you said it's not the only thing that matters, and it definitely isn't, but it is a huge draw for students (they will take students on tours of Memorial Stadium even as part of the academic tours). I don't think CSU will compare in any way. Throw on the fact that there's a lot of potential and excitement around the program, it should be a great time.

And, once she's old enough, O St. is still great when she's freshly 21 and the Railyard/Haymarket is a good time for when she grows up a bit more and is looking for a less chaotic time. And, again, I don't know what there is Fort Collins, but PBA draws in some huge national musicians and performances. Kendrick Lamar was there last summer.

• Plus1 1

She might also be able to utilize the new scholarship from UNL as leverage with CSU, to try and get more money.

I would caution the CSU move, with regards to rooming with her best friend. College changes people and I saw numerous instances where the best friends from high school who roomed together ended up despising one another by the end of it all.

I'd agree that UNL's actuarial program is pretty strong. I imagine she has already done so, but I'd look at the two program's job placement and where they are location wise, seeing where she might want to live afterwards as well as how each program prepares their students for the actuarial exams, should she choose to take those. You'd think you could get some sort of pass statistic, similar to how law schools publish how many of their students pass the bar on the first time.

• Plus1 1

Well the latest is a pretty hard lean towards UNL. She recognizes that they have a much stronger program in her field of interest. The thing she is most concerned about at this point is being able to get the housing option she wants. We're going to do the official visit thing there before the end of March. If that goes well we may have another Husker for life.