Russia

7 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It was inevitable. Hopefully the crew survived. Survivability was one of the biggest advantage of the Abrams over the Soviet made tanks. It's easier to get a new tank than it is to train a new crew.

Drone footage shows the crew out of the tank. The blast doors are open, as you mentioned about survivalabiliy. Not sure where the crew is now; back at base, MIA, or captured? Hopefully is can be recovered.

I'm surprised any armor can survive on the battlefield. There are so many ways to take out a tank these days. I know the M-1 is a tough SOB, but every piece of armor has a weak point, and there are drones like flies on manure in Ukraine.

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm surprised any armor can survive on the battlefield. There are so many ways to take out a tank these days. I know the M-1 is a tough SOB, but every piece of armor has a weak point, and there are drones like flies on manure in Ukraine.

I don't think (at least for Ukraine) they have been deploying much armor to the front lines, it's been used more defensively. As you said there are drones everywhere, and man portable systems that could take them out easily. The only advantage for tanks is that no one has air superiority. Also, they're probably higher risk for getting stuck in the winter/early spring with the mud from thawing.

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I wonder what the "new" way to battle/attack drones will be.

The pentagon is working on a new laser.

Spoiler

il_fullxfull.1710937033_6ht4.jpg

But for realsies, there are actual anti-drone weapons out there.

https://www.popsci.com/technology/pentagon-anti-drone-weapon/

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2021/06/22/this-enormous-drone-gun-can-pluck-uavs-right-out-of-the-sky/

• Haha 1