Russia

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

:laughpoundAfter the Republicans stalled it for months.  

Yes, I know, the US has proven to be unreliable because how our democratic process works. Expect the same when this new aid package runs out. It's unfortunate Ukraine doesn't have any other allies that can even began to provide the support they expect from the US.

Kinda reminds me of how the Democrats opposed the Neocons at ever turn back in the 80's.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gage County said:

Yes, I know, the US has proven to be unreliable because how our democratic process works. Expect the same when this new aid package runs out. It's unfortunate Ukraine doesn't have any other allies that can even began to provide the support they expect from the US.

Kinda reminds me of how the Democrats opposed the Neocons at ever turn back in the 80's.

You mean like no other allies except the 18 other countries who have provided more support based on GDP than the US?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1303450/bilateral-aid-to-ukraine-in-a-percent-of-donor-gdp/

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
  • Worth a Look 1
25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If you go to the Middle East, Russia, North Korea, China, or above its hard for me to feel bad for you if something happens to you. You should’ve known better. 

• TBH 1

1 minute ago, Decked said:

If you go to the Middle East, Russia, North Korea, China, or above its hard for me to feel bad for you if something happens to you. You should’ve known better. 

Yep!  We discuss this in a class I teach and I always show them this info from travel.state.gov and I let them know that they might want to rethink their travel plans if they are looking to travel "there"

After careful consideration, if you still decide to go to high-risk areas, we urge you to:

•  Enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). 
  • Develop a communication plan with your loved ones. Make sure you have a phone or other smart device(s) that will work in your destination. Use your device to share your location with your friends and family while you are abroad.
  • Share important documents, logins, and contacts with loved ones before you travel. They will need them if you cannot return to the United States as planned. 
  • Discuss a plan with loved ones about care and custody of children and property. Draft a will and name appropriate insurance beneficiaries and power of attorney. 
  • Make a personal security plan with your employer or host organization. You may want to consider consulting a professional security organization. 
  • Identify key sources that may be able to help in case of an emergency. These may include the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate, FBI, and the State Department’s Office of American Citizen Services. They may also include your employer and local friends and family in the high-risk area.
  • Appoint one family member to serve as the point of contact if you are taken hostage or detained. Set up a proof-of-life protocol. If you become a hostage, that person will know what questions to ask and answers to expect. This will help them be sure that you are alive (and to rule out a hoax). 
  • Leave DNA samples with your medical provider in case it is necessary for your family to access them. 
  • Erase sensitive photos, comments, or other materials from your social media pages. Do the same for your cameras, laptops, and other devices. The materials could be seen as controversial or provocative by local groups. 
  • Leave your expensive or sentimental belongings behind.  

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Decked said:

ESPECIALLY with the high tensions right now with Russia.

The guy is an idiot.

Now....I guess our government should do something to try to get him home like they do with everyone in this situation.  But....I don't feel one bit sorry for him.

And...the reporter that's there should come WAY before this idiot.

22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

ESPECIALLY with the high tensions right now with Russia.

The guy is an idiot.

Now....I guess our government should do something to try to get him home like they do with everyone in this situation.  But....I don't feel one bit sorry for him.

And...the reporter that's there should come WAY before this idiot.

Over-bargaining for a dummy seems like a waste of resources. Like trading a basketball player for the literal “merchant of death”. Reap what you sow. Apparently he was in Russia for his love interest. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

On 5/7/2024 at 10:26 AM, Scarlet said:

You mean like no other allies except the 18 other countries who have provided more support based on GDP than the US?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1303450/bilateral-aid-to-ukraine-in-a-percent-of-donor-gdp/

Each country should give what they have decided in their heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for Ukraine loves a cheerful giver.

(my apologizes to 2Cor9:7)

----

GDPs don't win wars, men and weapons do. I don't think Ukraine can win because they don't have enough men. If they had enough men, I don't think Ukraine's allies can supply enough weapons.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Gage County said:

GDPs don't win wars, men and weapons do.

Agree here. Percentage of GDP shows that these places are trying to do their part, but it's only the total $/value of goods that matters here.

• TBH 1
30 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Didn't we just give them $61 Billion??

Is the 400 part of the 61?

Meaning, congress approved 61 billion.  Now, they are announcing what 400 million of it would be used for?

Need more info before I start my faux outrage.

• TBH 1