Post-Practice Presser - March 29

On 3/30/2018 at 5:26 PM, brophog said:

I want to point something out since "going fast" is going to be a repeated topic this year: This offense won't go 3 and out any faster, in terms of how much time it takes off the game clock, than an average offense. The difference between an offense that huddles and one that doesn't in this regard is only a few seconds different given everyone is subject to the same 25 second play clock.

The biggest difference between any two offenses in terms of time off the clock will therefore depend on run/pass ratios and incomplete passes. Average is going to be somewhere around 1:30, usually a little less. 3 incomplete passes pushes that to a minute, maybe 45 seconds. 3 short runs pushes it more towards 2 minutes.

I'm not sure I follow. Sure, clock stoppage due to incomplete passes will be similar, but say there are not clock stoppages. Say they run three straight plays that net nine yards and don't stop the clock, and they hike the ball with around 15-20 seconds on the play clock each time. That's going to be a big difference than say a team that huddles and hikes the ball with five seconds left on the clock.

52 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm not sure I follow. Sure, clock stoppage due to incomplete passes will be similar, but say there are not clock stoppages. Say they run three straight plays that net nine yards and don't stop the clock, and they hike the ball with around 15-20 seconds on the play clock each time. That's going to be a big difference than say a team that huddles and hikes the ball with five seconds left on the clock.

If they actually snap it with that much time on the play clock, then you're right. It would be 30-45 seconds less that they use. On a lot of series though, I think they generally give the illusion of going fast and then check the sideline and change the play, which sometimes means snapping it with under 10 left. Not often, but occasionally.

The difference (one big one anyway) from what I’ve seen of Oregon/UCF and our prior attempts to go up tempo are that Frost/Oregon/UCF wants to snap the ball before the defense is prepared. Our prior attempts have been get to the line, look at the sideline, wait for the defense to move and adjust, and then snap the ball. IMO that defeats a lot of the purpose. Some of the worse teams we played may have failed to get in the defense they wanted to but all the better teams exploited our going “fast” which really wasn’t very fast. I really can’t recall one time prior that when we were going fast that the defense was still scrambling to get in position. It won’t happen that way every time now but it will happen and that will be a welcome change from the faux tempo we’ve tried before.

8 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

The difference (one big one anyway) from what I’ve seen of Oregon/UCF and our prior attempts to go up tempo are that Frost/Oregon/UCF wants to snap the ball before the defense is prepared. Our prior attempts have been get to the line, look at the sideline, wait for the defense to move and adjust, and then snap the ball. IMO that defeats a lot of the purpose. Some of the worse teams we played may have failed to get in the defense they wanted to but all the better teams exploited our going “fast” which really wasn’t very fast. I really can’t recall one time prior that when we were going fast that the defense was still scrambling to get in position. It won’t happen that way every time now but it will happen and that will be a welcome change from the faux tempo we’ve tried before.

This is where I think the new coaching staff will excel. They are going to have the offense looking at the sideline plenty, but I think they will be much better at recognizing the defense and then calling the appropriate play. Then when they call it they won't wait for the defense.

Frost's offense is not the Chip Kelly offense. He's modified it. It has the capability of going super fast and at times will do that, but they will go at a moderately fast pace other times.

I'm excited to see an offensive play caller run plays that he thinks will work instead of running plays just because or to set something up that he never ends up getting to...