Govt & Election Reform Mega Thread

On 7/9/2021 at 2:34 PM, DevoHusker said:

Yep. Talk bad about it when it's "the other side" but don't hesitate if it benefits you.

Which is why we the people need to fix this. But we won't because too many are caught up in party politics as a rivalry sport.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Which is why we the people need to fix this. But we won't because too many are caught up in party politics as a rivalry sport.

On 7/9/2021 at 3:34 PM, DevoHusker said:

Yep. Talk bad about it when it's "the other side" but don't hesitate if it benefits you.

I agree.  However, at least SOME people are talking about it from one of the sides.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like the Texas law passed. Not sure if this was posted somewhere else already.

EXPLAINER: Details of the final version of Texas voting bill (apnews.com)

I really didn't have any issue with the Georgia law. It looks like some of the eyebrow raising items were fixed in this law if this reporter covered it properly and completely. 

No more 24 hour drive up voting. Someone once told me nothing good happens after midnight...maybe that was my mother. :cowbell: I do not have an issue with this. Seems excessive and the law added the following:

"Two provisions of the bill make voting more convenient, by extending early voting hours and mandating that workplaces allow employees to make a trip to the polls during either early voting or on Election Day."

Seems like intimidation by poll watchers is a concern with their new found powers. Both sides get poll watchers right? I think intimidation exists today although the author sited an example from 1962....could have done better than something from 80 years ago.

Signatures or other IDs on mail-in-ballots should be required. I have often wondered if my signature has changed so much over the last 25 years that my mail-in ballot get tossed, but this law allows you to be notified before election day if there was a problem with the mail-in. Who can get mail-in ballots does seem restrictive however. Should be anyone that wants one AFTER they are a verified legal voter. Just make sure and scrub the voter rolls people who die or move. 

• Plus1 1
On 8/25/2021 at 2:03 PM, TGHusker said:

GOP and anti Trump Rep Kinzinger might get his district penciled out by the Illinois Dems during their redistricting talks. 

How screwed is Adam Kinzinger? (msn.com)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/how-screwed-is-adam-kinzinger/ar-AANIFBQ?ocid=entnewsntp

Too funny.  He tried so hard to be Democrat Lite and all he got for his effort is a tee shirt and a redistricting kick out the door.  

• Plus1 1

I saw this mentioned elsewhere so can’t take credit, but:

What if the ballots for each election didn’t have party affiliation next to each candidates name.  Instead it would just list the people running for each office and it puts the onus on each voter to actually research the candidate some instead of voting straight ticket or looking for the R or D and voting that way.  

• Fire 1