How Depressed are Liberals?

Been doing too much ruminating on the subject over the past 24 hours, as it's my day off and there isn't f-all else to do in Southwest Iowa where I'm currently at. :lol:

Came upon this post in one of the political subreddits I visit & I'm struggling to see how this take is incorrect. It's a bit melancholic but I don't really think it misses the mark; the political climate feels pretty dang dire currently for me.

Someone explain to me how this isn't the absolute low point for Democrats possibly in their history. They can't win the presidency even when they win the popular vote. They need a 7-8% win to have a shot at a house majority (which would be the biggest win in the midterms in a generation, just to get a bare majority). And now they are completely locked out of power in the Supreme Court for the next generation. It doesn't matter how many people support them, because of structural disadvantages and gerrymandering. Republicans happened to get a majority during the last census, so now they get to control the country with a minority pretty much indefinitely. They happened to win the presidency when two Supreme Court vacancies were up, so they now control the Supreme Court indefinitely.

It seems like shear bad timing has made the democrats absolutely locked out of power. And even if they can somehow win in the rigged system, now the Supreme Court is gone for the next 30 years. I'm trying to remain hopeful but even as a young person I do not have much hope for progress in this country in my lifetime.

In addition, there are more red states than blue states, so they've got a permanent systemic disadvantage in the Senate as well. In addition to one of the most brutal Senate maps imaginable in 2018.

Insert talking point about how Democrats have lost more than 1000 seats at the state/local level since 2008 & Republicans now control more than at any point in their history.

The response to the above post suggested they're so screwed all they can do is try their best at the national level and focus on state level success to counter the upcoming rightward tilt to the Supreme Court.

Is this the part where Trump becomes Stupid FDR and Republicans control Congress for the next five decades or so? Please talk me out of it.

I don't think it's as dire as all that if you look back at history. The Dems controlled both houses of Congress and the presidency in 2009 and 2010. From wikipedia:

850px-Combined--Control_of_the_U.S._Hous

Now for agreeing that it is depressing looking into the future: That analysis doesn't place the blame where it should be: the Democratic Party. Seems to me they went Third Way and abandoned their ideology because Reagan was so popular as a President, and it's ended up costing them in Congress where they had been dominant for decades just to get some short-term gains in the Presidency. I hope that the American people will recover their senses and move back to the left, but much like the beginning of the 20th century, I unfortunately think we'll have to go through another Great Depression and/or World War to break the stranglehold of the elites on our government. The Great Recession gave the Dems both Houses of Congress and the Presidency, but it wasn't enough to truly break free. Because unlike the 1930's, the Dem politicians didn't reject corporate power and rebalance in favor of the workers.

I think the best way to turn the tide, long-term, is to see the Baby Boomers pass on into history.  They will go down as one of the most destructive generations to this country's power and principles. History will not remember them well.

As far as how depressed I am... it's relative.  I mean, I'm a white male, so I'm golden in this new world order.  Unless they round up the dissidents, and then there's ample evidence that I'm not on board with Trumpism, so hopefully the reeducation camps have wifi. 

But what makes me most upset is the erosion of rights, and the installation of ignorance into society that I, foolishly, had hoped we were moving past. 

Science is no longer respected, and basic scientific findings are being ignored. 

Religion is being propped up, and we'll have to continue dealing with bronze-age myths having massive influence on government for (probably) the rest of my life.

LGBTQ rights are going to be eroded.

Abortions are going to become much more dangerous.

These changes are going to affect people I love, and they are unnecessary.

• Plus1 8

How depressed I am depends on whether I'm thinking about the plight of other people.

I do think many of Trump's policies will bite all of us in the ass and things could get bad for everyone in this country (some of that is a long time coming, but exacerbated by Trump), but for the time being I'm personally fine. When I get sad or pissed off it's for the people who aren't fine or aren't going to be and I feel helpless because I don't know what I can do about it.

I sometimes philosophize on what it would take to get me to put myself on the line, and then I start to understand how the holocaust happened. I'm not saying that to compare it to what's going on now - but I think about how a huge chunk of the population seemingly did nothing. At what point do you risk your livelihood or life for a cause? I'm not sure what it would take for me.

• Plus1 3

Clifford - back away from the cliff please. :ahhhhhhhh   I still think the Dems can find relevance on the national level.  In 2008 people were speaking the demise of the Republican party - it had 2 unpopular wars and a great recession laying at its feet.  The thing in the Dems favor is demographics on a national level and more states becoming purple on the state level.  If Trump and Congress over play their hand then the Dems could possibly take back part or all of Congress in 2020 and even the WH.  2 years is a decade in politics.  A lot can happen.  "Experts" thought there would be a long term Dem majority in 2008 -but 2 things happened (1) Obama pushed ACA 1st and then a debt increasing stimulus package 2nd(after the Bush debt increasing bank bail out) - that sparked "big spending govt' protests & the Tea Party movement began (2) Republicans pushed back with an obstructionist agenda that inspired the get out the vote response in 2010 - flipping the House.

If Trump keeps overplaying his hand the same thing could happen. 

I think the biggest concern is not on the national level but on the state level.  But even here the Dems should see some light.  Several firm red states have moved to purple over the last couple of voting cycles.  Even in my redder than red state of Oklahoma this week's primary had some surprises.  Medical marijuana pasted.  6 staunch conservative repub state senators got defeated in their primaries because they were fiscal hawks and didn't support the Okla teacher strike and pay raises, and the Lt Gov was rejected for governor (was the leading candidate at one time). Instead the former OKC mayor and a business man who came out of nowhere are in the runoff election.  Also the Dems nominated a former 4 time AG and he could very well become the next governor.  He has much more govt experience & name recognition than the other 2 Repub who are in the run off.  

57 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Science is no longer respected, and basic scientific findings are being ignored. 

Religion is being propped up, and we'll have to continue dealing with bronze-age myths having massive influence on government for (probably) the rest of my life.

This is a laughable statement...

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Did you mean to say provable?  Because here's proof:

Climate change being ignored

Religion propped up

Religion propped up

Religion propped up

There's more. Lots.

This is on the basis that you are against religion...It's also funny to me as I've stated on this board that all a 2 party system does is have sweaty die hards from both sides arguing over things that they feel have to be black and white. I think for the most part Trump is an idiot, but we knew who he was and what he wanted to do, and now people seem to be appalled by it.

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I am not against religion.

Interesting based on the below statement you made

• Plus1 1

You can make this discussion about me if you like. That is an objectively true statement, I have given evidence for it, and when faced with that evidence, the argument changed to "You're against religion."

Whether I'm against religion or I'm the Pope, those are facts. 

• Plus1 1