Defensive Playmakers

48 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

He is still a junior?!  Two starting years at the position you should be a stud not a hopeful prospect.  Corner back is one of the top positions players can play immediately.  No he was not one of the best corners, he was promised a starting spot by Riley. Nhis play on the field showed that he should not have been playing.  It is whatever he needs to prove himself or one of the freshman will take his spot.  He has not done what he asked to, he been burned on many occasions and shys away from actually making a tackle.  He is horrible in run support, I am not even going to get into his break speed, incorrectly turning on receivers and a complete inability to look back for the ball.  That is how he played.  Has that changed?  maybe it has but I reserve “playmaker” for someone who makes plays.

He had s#!tty coaches, and this is a prediction for this season.

I'm going with Freedom.  He seemed to be misused and in wrong scheme with Riley.  I think he may ball out this year and get to the QB..  Also Neal and Ty Ferg I think will be good.  I'll know D has been coached up if Young and Jackson look better.  They are two that could help with significant improvements to their game.  

13 hours ago, lo country said:

I'm going to go with Stille, Neal and Gifford to start.  Looking at our D, IMHO, a lot of those guys are going to impress and look and play like completely different guys form last year.

I love Chin's comment about wanting to see 11 savages running to the football....Gotta love it.

I think all 3 of the guys you mentioned above are going to be our football smart guys. I think they're all due for a breakout year. I'm just hoping Tre Neal is as good as advertised. Switching conferences can be a humbling experience.

4 minutes ago, brophog said:

Depends on whose ads you're reading. Has a tendency to be a round the ball, but also has a tendency to get beat. 

Like our entire secondary last year? Maybe we underperformed but this is an area of concern to many. Need to get stability in that area coaching wise. What I mean by 'advertised' its an expression based off fans/media saying he's a good player. We don't know that yet.

It's a jump going from group of 5 to power 5. He could end up playing like a true or RS freshman. The jury is still out and is a question mark to me. 

1 minute ago, FTW said:

.What I mean by 'advertised' its an expression based off fans/media saying he's a good player. 

Which is why I said what I said. Not everyone at UCF agreed he was a good player last year. It's this balance between the big plays he made vs the big plays he gave up that divided opinions.

19 minutes ago, brophog said:

Depends on whose ads you're reading. Has a tendency to be a round the ball, but also has a tendency to get beat. 

What we do know is that his HC and DC and DB coach from last year, are his HC and DC and DB coach this year, they were willing to give him a scholarship here and have him as the starter.

I would venture to say that they thought he was at least a pretty good player last year and possibly has improved.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

Which is why I said what I said. Not everyone at UCF agreed he was a good player last year. It's this balance between the big plays he made vs the big plays he gave up that divided opinions.

Gotcha. My bad, can't discern tone or sarcasm on bbs. At least I can't. But if he doesn't pan out, maybe someone else steps up. Secondary is where I think we don't know what we really have until game time and might see a little shuffling until we find the right combination.

Everything I've heard thus far is coach speak and not just referring to the defense. Time to see it all on the field.

1 hour ago, Ziebol said:

I'm at a wait and see with everyone on defense. It was that bad last year and I am still scarred. 

Scared and scarred? I'm a little bit of both too, lol. I just want to see our front 7 get pressure. If we can do that, it'll make things a little easier for our secondary.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, FTW said:

Scared and scarred? I'm a little bit of both too, lol. I just want to see our front 7 get pressure. If we can do that, it'll make things a little easier for our secondary.

That defense last year was so bad it’s really hard to truly think how good they can be or how good they really are.  Towards the bottom of most defensive statistical categories is hard to blot out.  Like you said, when your front 7 have no pass rush, no real TFL or even QB hurries, an AA secondary would look bad.

34 minutes ago, lo country said:

That defense last year was so bad it’s really hard to truly think how good they can be or how good they really are.  Towards the bottom of most defensive statistical categories is hard to blot out.  Like you said, when your front 7 have no pass rush, no real TFL or even QB hurries, an AA secondary would look bad.

But as was posted just the other day, teams make huge one year turnarounds on defense with new staffs. We have to believe we can do it and give these guys a chance to show it.