IceMan’s Take on “Opener”

ScottyIce

So, I have been at our first two “games” and I can say with a clear conscience, that atmosphere was much better last weekend.

Fans were good to start with today, but seemed to get tired or lazy in 2nd half. Once we took the lead, kinda felt like we coasted.

Then the fans came back to life late in the game. 

This was a tough game for fans to follow, so much happening all the time, with both teams running high tempo. 

Big Mistakes:

2 fumbles crushed 

missed FG

dropped JD pass in 4th quarter on 3rd and 15 to ice it.

dropped Morgan TD.

Bunch throwing ball out of bounce with chance to win.

Hit by Reed that ultimately cost us the game.

Play Call on Martinez Pick. (Should’ve ran and tried to end it behind the OL. IMO)

Loved:

Martinez play making ability.

TD pass to JD was best Husker pass I’ve seen in a long time. Perfect.

ground game was fantastic.

loved the d. Very good opening performance.

sacks were a sight for sore eyes.

Washington can juke and jive wow.

disliked:

pass call when Martinez threw a pick.

how we operated the clock late.

It ended up being correct because we needed the time,  but it sort of felt like we could’ve pounded it down their throats to win it 40 seconds at a time.

Looks like this is the start of something special. 

• Plus1 6

21 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I don't think I've ever experienced a Nebraska loss yet felt so good about it.

Honestly, this will be one of the best losses this program will have. The guys saw that this isn't all hype, and they got a glimpse of their potential. I think it will fire them up for the rest of the season. We're going to lose more games, but these guys are going to play hard every game.

Guys were flying around and hitting. They never quit when adversity struck, and they kept laying the wood. We are light years from where we were last year, despite the mistakes. I'm so excited for the future (scared about the lack of QB depth though...).

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Honestly, this will be one of the best losses this program will have. The guys saw that this isn't all hype, and they got a glimpse of their potential. I think it will fire them up for the rest of the season. We're going to lose more games, but these guys are going to play hard every game.

Guys were flying around and hitting. They never quit when adversity struck, and they kept laying the wood. We are light years from where we were last year, despite the mistakes. I'm so excited for the future (scared about the lack of QB depth though...).

exactly this.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

I don't think I've ever experienced a Nebraska loss yet felt so good about it.

The last time I did was when Nebraska lost to Texas in 2009 in the Big XII title game. At the same time though, that one stung a lot more.

This one stings a bit too, but my God, Nebraska hasn't looked this competent since at least 2012. Maybe 2010.

And don't get me wrong, there were plenty of mistakes. Most of them look correctable though.