Hypothetical: If we win our next two games...

ScottyIce

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The question was “does it make you think we ‘might’ win the west. My answer is yes. If you want a percentage then a 50% or better chance. Without getting too technical only 1 game into the season, I would guess we could win the west with a loss to tOSU and 1 other loss. If we beat Michigan, IMO that means we may only have to win one of Wiscy or Mich St. Yes, I’m being optimistic and assuming all others will be W’s. Without Riley & crew gumming up the works, I have little respect for Iowa, NW and Purdue and even less for the others. I saw enough Saturday to know that things have changed significantly. Sure we’ve got some issues to work on but I have confidence in SF and this team like I haven’t had in 17 years.

There is no way Nebraska can lose 2 conference games and be in the CCG.

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Agreed, it does seem pretty unlikely (working off of only what we think we know right now).

If we beat Wisconsin and Michigan but lose two other conference games (probably to Ohio State and Michigan State), let's then say that Wisconsin loses to Michigan and Penn State. 

We win the tiebreaker obviously in that scenario as we both have two conference losses but have the head-to-head advantage.

Do I think either thing plays out that way even if we beat Michigan? Very possible, but the odds seem considerably less than 50%.

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

I'll bite. 

Because Michigan has a piss-poor offense, including a porous offensive line, and unless Michigan is fielding the 2009 Nebraska Blackshirts, their defense is going to have issues being on the field so long this season. Their special teams are not very good, coaching is suspect, and if our defense shows up, it could be a tight, low-scoring affair that we pull off. 

Conversely, Wisconsin doesn't have as good as a defense as Michigan, but they have a more than competent offense with one of the best O-Lines in the nation. They could just phone the gameplan in and run student body right/left all game long, and it's going to be close by virtue of that O-Line.

Two completely different teams, one on a downward trajectory, despite the celebrity status of the coach, and one on an upward trajectory, helped by our absence in the B1G West race. 

Could they flip-phone it though?

1 hour ago, Sker fer life said:

1-4 #25 in the polls. ???????

It's all hypotheticals man. me and Cdog just in a world of our own with those.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

You may be right. I didn’t study each teams conference schedule in depth and determine what the other teams chances of losing 2 and then us winning the tie breaker might look like. But I also think if we beat Michigan we have a pretty good chance of beating all other conference foes, except possibly tOSU. And hell, while I’m chugging the Kool-Aid, I don’t think it would particularly take a miracle to knock them off. Just a really good day for us and a crappy day for them. It happens.

Dont ask for percentages. Is there a reason it needs to be all doom and gloom only one week in? Be a fan. Have some optimism. We aren’t being graded for accuracy.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

You may be right. I didn’t study each teams conference schedule in depth and determine what the other teams chances of losing 2 and then us winning the tie breaker might look like. But I also think if we beat Michigan we have a pretty good chance of beating all other conference foes, except possibly tOSU. And hell, while I’m chugging the Kool-Aid, I don’t think it would particularly take a miracle to knock them off. Just a really good day for us and a crappy day for them. It happens.

Dont ask for percentages. Is there a reason it needs to be all doom and gloom only one week in? Be a fan. Have some optimism. We aren’t being graded for accuracy.

Let's say I have guarded optimism.  I saw some good things in the Colorado game.  I saw things that have been the same problems with Nebraska for 15 years as well.  I think I just want to see a clean football game, or as close to it, to really get excited about what can happen with the team.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Let's say I have guarded optimism.  I saw some good things in the Colorado game.  I saw things that have been the same problems with Nebraska for 15 years as well.  I think I just want to see a clean football game, or as close to it, to really get excited about what can happen with the team.

Fair enough. I’m probably not guarded enough with my optimism. But, since I haven’t had much optimism to speak of in the last 17 years, I’m striking while the iron is hot :lol:

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Fair enough. I’m probably not guarded enough with my optimism. But, since I haven’t had much optimism to speak of in the last 17 years, I’m striking while the iron is hot :lol:

And that is fair as well.  For me, I've just seen this play out for NU too many times in not such a good way.  I just need to see something way better

• Fire 1
30 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

But...hey....being optimistic about the season is one heck of a lot more fun than dredging up old arguments for or against Solich and Bo.

Optimism is fun.

3 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

After a 37-13 thrashing of Wisconsin, Nebraska jumps to 1-4 and #25 in the polls.

The following two weeks, Nebraska is thumped by NW & Minnesota and falls to 1-6. Both games were 10 point losses.

How do you feel Cdog?

That doesn't seem to compute  -- a 4 loss team with only 1 win = #25.  What the heck happen to the rest of college football teams -  did the hurricane take them all out?:dunno

i assume you meant 4-1  - but no   we are 1-6 after we loose 2x more  :bang:bang:bang

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

But...hey....being optimistic about the season is one heck of a lot more fun than dredging up old arguments for or against Solich and Bo.

Optimism is fun.

I've been optimistic about every coach we have had since TO retired.  Every year, I lose a little bit of it.  I know Frost did great things at UCF.  But Nebraska is in another world and the B1G is a whole other animal than the AAC.

Like I said in another post.  I need to see something better than what I've seen for 15+ years.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

That doesn't seem to compute  -- a 4 loss team with only 1 win = #25.  What the heck happen to the rest of college football teams -  did the hurricane take them all out?:dunno

i assume you meant 4-1  - but no   we are 1-6 after we loose 2x more  :bang:bang:bang

No, I meant 1-4. It was all hypothetical.

23 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I've been optimistic about every coach we have had since TO retired.  Every year, I lose a little bit of it.  I know Frost did great things at UCF.  But Nebraska is in another world and the B1G is a whole other animal than the AAC.

Like I said in another post.  I need to see something better than what I've seen for 15+ years.

Weird. You don't seem that pessimistic...

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

There are plenty of ways.  It wouldn't even be that far out of the realm of possibility to lose three games and be in the CCG.

In 2016 Wisconsin lost conference games and made it to the CCG.   They also did in 2011.

• Thanks 1