SBNation: 4 reasons not to panic over Nebraska’s slow start under Scott Frost

Saunders

Nebraska football has been pretty underwhelming in the first few weeks of the Scott Frost era. But it’s also not that shocking. The Cornhuskers fell to 0-2 on the season after a 24-19 loss to Troy. With the big hire this offseason, and the nature of college football fandom, there’s going to be some panic among Husker fans. If you’re a Nebraska fan reading this, I’m here to tell you to take a deep breath, and give your shiny new coach time. You shouldn’t be too worried about your team for a few reasons.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/9/16/17864614/nebraska-scott-frost-troy

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I think most (including me) predicted around a .500 record this year. I will say right now I was never satisfied by that, but it was the most realistic. With the success that the staff had before coming to Nebraska, I think some were willing to dream for a faster start to the Frost Era. After the last two weeks, it is clear this will be a process, so as a fan, the best we can do is to stay grounded and evaluate what is in front of us. I like the style of defensive play and that it looks like players have enough ability to play well within the scheme. The problem is there are miscues on critical downs (such as 3rd and longs) that have not got them off the field when they need to be. For the offensive, I will say push. It looked good with Martinez, but that is one game. This game plan against Troy relied on successful play by the OL, and they are the worst group on that side of the ball. ST is bad...coaches need to focus a lot on this (maybe get Lindsay off of PR but I don't know what to do with Lightborn).

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Dang, I guess I should have waited for this thread instead of starting my own the other day. 

I really thought we had enough talent for Frost and Co. to just come in and coach these guys up and we'd have a decent record. Pretty sure I was wrong now.

There was quite a bit of deception going on the past few years regarding the amount of talent and depth on the roster.

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There was quite a bit of deception going on the past few years regarding the amount of talent and depth on the roster.

100% agree.  It appears that we have little to no depth at key positions.  DB,OL and QB come to mind right off the bat.  Even the talent we do have hasn't been developed very well.  That won't happen in a spring and fall.........Gotta have patience, take a deep breath and watch the process.  

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I really thought we had enough talent for Frost and Co. to just come in and coach these guys up and we'd have a decent record. Pretty sure I was wrong now.

We do have enough talent for that.  It doesn't look like it will actually happen but that's not because we're lacking. 

We've out-played the other team on about 90% of the plays in both games so far.  But the screw ups we've made have been big enough to swing the game to the other side.  If we make even one fewer big screw-up in each game - instead of the 5-6 we did make - we're probably 2-0.  

And most of the screw-ups are being made by guys who haven't played before.  I think  we'll see those mistakes go down as we go forward.

• Plus1 1

If our quarterback doesn’t go down we are 2-0. If he is hurt all year we might win 2 games. All this over reaction is just dumb. Frost was left with no depth at quarterback then the cry baby transfers ( I refuse to say his name) making the issue worse. We aren’t that bad of team but without a quarterback this offense doesn’t have as sharp of teeth. Everybody just needs to calm down. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, jcsmhammel said:

If our quarterback doesn’t go down we are 2-0. If he is hurt all year we might win 2 games. All this over reaction is just dumb. Frost was left with no depth at quarterback then the cry baby transfers ( I refuse to say his name) making the issue worse. We aren’t that bad of team but without a quarterback this offense doesn’t have as sharp of teeth. Everybody just needs to calm down. 

No! We refuse! 

1 hour ago, jcsmhammel said:

Even without that, we're a dropped TD by Morgan and a holding call by Mike Williams from being 2-0. Silly mistakes need to end. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, jcsmhammel said:

Like it or not this offense is QB centric. We will run the ball well too, but everything works off of the QB.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Even without that, we're a dropped TD by Morgan and a holding call by Mike Williams from being 2-0. Silly mistakes need to end. 

I agree.  A play here and there and they go from 0-2 to 2-0.  And they'd still be just as good or just as bad with either record.   I think Frost wanted a 2-1 or 3-0 start for the same reason the rest of us wanted it.  To make a bowl game and get the extra practice at the end to the year.  Beating the OSUs and PSUs is a little further off.  We can still beat the Purdues and Northwesterns though.