Is Coach Frost regretting his decision to come home at this point?

PlzCoolerMe

6 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

There are those who wish he'd have stayed in Florida.  They talk about his heading to Stanford and other displays of lack of Nebraska loyalty.  Read around in other forums.  I got tired of fighting with them.

As to his coaching abilities, I want to be honest:  I really have no idea if he can do here what he did at UCF.  Some golden boy types went down the tubes trying to right the ship at their old alma mater.  Some did okay.  I just don't know about him here.  I don't exercise "faith" with regard to these things;  I find that naive.  What I do allow myself to think and hope for is plenty of time for him;  say 4 full seasons with the 5th being the breakthrough one.  I think by then we'll see what he's made of as to righting this Husker ship.

Who are the folks who wished he would have stayed in Florida? Haven't seen any of that around here. 

Having faith isn't being naive. It doesn't matter one way or the other. Fandom is nothing but personal preferance. I could be an Idaho football fan and truly believe we are going to win the natty before every season. It wouldn't affect my life in the grand scheme of things. 

If we aren't breaking through by year 3 there is a problem, just look at any other successful coach at the P5 level.

9 hours ago, GamingGlen said:

Don't read them.

Great recommendation to those who have little skin in the game. I am sure the players are being told that too.

How responsible us adults must be, to spew this type of B-sh*t (thread by thread by thread) where a bunch of kids, can scan the internet for anything mentioning Huskers, their name, fan response. Helping to reinforce doubt, by in large, is not the direction this team or fan base needs to go. But, its a new world we live in!

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Sure...why not?  I mean people act like regret is some horrible evil thing...it isn't.  It doesn't mean he doesn't want to be here and doesn't love it...

But why would he regret it? Regret isn't some terrible evil thing sure, but I doubt its something many successful people have. No reason to dwell on the past. Regret is something for people who think they have compromised their future by past decisions. 

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Who are the folks who wished he would have stayed in Florida? Haven't seen any of that around here. 

Having faith isn't being naive. It doesn't matter one way or the other. Fandom is nothing but personal preferance. I could be an Idaho football fan and truly believe we are going to win the natty before every season. It wouldn't affect my life in the grand scheme of things. 

If we aren't breaking through by year 3 there is a problem, just look at any other successful coach at the P5 level.

What's a breakthrough in year 3? Natty appearance? Winning a conference championship? Playing in a conference championship? 10 win season and second in the division? Honest question. I keep hearing people say that and it just seems like such an arbitrary thing.

2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

What's a breakthrough in year 3? Natty appearance? Winning a conference championship? Playing in a conference championship? 10 win season and second in the division? Honest question. I keep hearing people say that and it just seems like such an arbitrary thing.

Win the west would be a goal but there is no exact metric. But look at your successful head coaches over the last 10-15 years and all of them had it going by year 3.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

But why would he regret it? Regret isn't some terrible evil thing sure, but I doubt its something many successful people have. No reason to dwell on the past. Regret is something for people who think they have compromised their future by past decisions. 

I don't see it that way.   Part of regret is sadness...he has mentioned many times that he loves his UCF players and now he is away from them, I would imagine that is sad for him...

Every choice we make compromises our future...I don't think that he is "dwelling" on it.  I would be more shocked if he didn't have regret/sadness...that is normal.  Of course people tell you they don't have regret(s) when talking about the current thing they are doing...just like players/coaches tell you "We only think about the next game" no they don't, they think about the entire schedule all the time.

We like to think so many people in these positions are robots...but they are just like us.  Again, it isn't a bad thing it is just a thing.  

Sociopaths don't "regret"...the rest of us do.  It is totally okay.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I don't see it that way.   Part of regret is sadness...he has mentioned many times that he loves his UCF players and now he is away from them, I would imagine that is sad for him...

Every choice we make compromises our future...I don't think that he is "dwelling" on it.  I would be more shocked if he didn't have regret/sadness...that is normal.  Of course people tell you they don't have regret(s) when talking about the current thing they are doing...just like players/coaches tell you "We only think about the next game" no they don't, they think about the entire schedule all the time.

We like to think so many people in these positions are robots...but they are just like us.  Again, it isn't a bad thing it is just a thing.  

Sociopaths don't "regret"...the rest of us do.  It is totally okay.

I guess we have a different idea of regret. To me regret means Frost wishes he wouldn't have made the decision to come to the Huskers. He feels like he made the wrong choice and now his future won't be as good because of it. This sense of regret is not felt by successful people because they know everything works out for the best and they can always achieve the future of their dreams from where they are now.

Now as far as missing some of his old players, people he used to work with, and things he used to do in Florida, that is very likely.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I guess we have a different idea of regret. To me regret means Frost wishes he wouldn't have made the decision to come to the Huskers. He feels like he made the wrong choice and now his future won't be as good because of it. This sense of regret is not felt by successful people because they know everything works out for the best and they can always achieve the future of their dreams from where they are now.

Now as far as missing some of his old players, people he used to work with, and things he used to do in Florida, that is very likely.

Yeah, I totally get what you mean.  I think we just look at it in different ways.  No big deal either way...he is here now!

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Haven't seen much stinky anti-Frost stuff here.. it's one of the reasons I joined the other day. 

As far as "faith" goes, I don't tap that for anything other than spiritual matters.  Confidence can come along, seasoned with a lot of hope, and my hopes for this Frost era being on par with the Osborne era are probably unrealistic, but that is what I'm hoping for in my old age.. 9 win seasons at a minimum, conference championship games, national title games.  All that, just liek it was.  Can Frost do it? 

All things considered, it's an incredibly weird start for everybody.

The crowd going absolutely nuts for the Akron kickoff, then forced to go home with blue balls for an entire week.

The second quarter of the Colorado game......every freaking thing we wanted to see from Nebraska football, served up by Scott Frost himself! Then the foot coming off the gas. Then our starting quarterback getting hurt. Then remembering his back up leaving in a snit a week before the season started.Then the first loss of the Scott Frost era, a game most of us had pencilled as a win. 

Then Troy. We'd been telling ourselves Nebraska should beat teams like Troy, even with our back up quarterback. We'd seen enough good things in the Colorado game to think they'd be replicated. Even cautious fans had pencilled this W in, too. 

After Michigan it felt like nothing had changed. Nothing. Nobody saw that coming. It wasn't supposed to feel this way. 

But with expectations in utter chaos, I will continue to watch every game and predict both excitement and surprises ahead.

It could be fun. Or it could be the Xanax talking. We'll see.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1