Frost's staff grades thus far

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well then why even comment. Its really not a difficult concept to assess how the staff is doing relative to the circumstances.  Simply move onto a different thread if this does not interest you.

I don't want to move on to a different thread

I want to make fun of this thread

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Are any positions worse than they were last year?  

I smile thinking how bad Bethune Cookman would demolish Riley.

I would say Special Teams is worse for sure, the O-Line actually looks worse and that is hard to imagine.  I am glad Riley is gone for sure and as I said earlier we need to give Frost time, but based upon the cards he was dealt, I am still underwhelmed with this staff so far.  

2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I would say Special Teams is worse for sure, the O-Line actually looks worse and that is hard to imagine.  I am glad Riley is gone for sure and as I said earlier we need to give Frost time, but based upon the cards he was dealt, I am still underwhelmed with this staff so far.  

I’ll give you Special teams is equal, but they are not worse.  I don’t think Riley returned a punt for two years.  Mostly penalties and bonehead decisions.  I’ve always believed teams with strong depth have great special teams.  That might be a tell.

O Line has been bad for years.  I think their play is bad, but I don’t agree they are worse.  This is going to be one of the most difficult positions to get fixed.  It takes time to select and develop 5 good players.

• Plus1 1

Frost took an 0-12 team and turned it into a 13-0 team in two years. I think he knows what he's doing. 

You play the game with the guys you have.  He's inherited a team that was lucky to go 4-8 last year, and there's a lot of bad habits and a few really overrated players on it.  He can't just bench everyone and play the Freshmen - those guys don't know the game at this level yet. 

But there is accountability.  #21 found the bench after another stupid play on what should have been an INT for the Huskers. That's a positive move. There will be more such moves.

I get the whole "mid-term" grade thing.  I just think it's really hard to judge these coaches this harshly when we have no idea what they're doing when they're actually coaching.

All we know is, they can coach.  We'll just have to be patient for the results.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’ll give you Special teams is equal, but they are not worse.  I don’t think Riley returned a punt for two years.  Mostly penalties and bonehead decisions.  I’ve always believed teams with strong depth have great special teams.  That might be a tell.

O Line has been bad for years.  I think their play is bad, but I don’t agree they are worse.  This is going to be one of the most difficult positions to get fixed.  It takes time to select and develop 5 good players.

I can't remember our ST being worse. We don't do anything well. I lived through the Bruce Read years.

In 4 games we've given up 2 punt return TDs, muffed punts, missed easy FGs, and our punter is terrible.

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Riley's teams might not have returned a punt for two years, but he didn't lose 10 yards every time, like we do on penalties. Just have our guys fair catch it and save some field position....

GBR!!!

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Nebraska Alum said:

I do not remember anyone saying that. Mike Riley was a terrible coach and a horrible recruiter. It is going to take time for Frost to rebuild after the absolute disaster that was the "Riley era." Fans just need to be patient. 

Last fall this forum was filled with posters who said with the current “highly ranked” players on the field, a new (better) coach could easily win 8-9 games. Just a fact.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, huskered17 said:

Riley's teams might not have returned a punt for two years, but he didn't lose 10 yards every time, like we do on penalties. Just have our guys fair catch it and save some field position....

GBR!!!

I agree...our net returns on punt and kickoff returns has to be the worst in years.  Being able to do an average job in the return game without penalties is not a talent issue....its coaching 101. Now I guess some could argue that players lack mental capacity to be coached so the staff deserves no criticism, but that seems unlikely.