What Did We Learn? Purdue

Waldo

On September 30, 2018 at 5:04 PM, Hayseed said:

I learned that our defense is short the kind of players it takes to compete in this league and I doubt more effort will fix that.

Coming into the season, an outside pass rusher was extremely high on our list of concerns, and, unfortunately, that's still the case. Admittedly, I'm more than a little concerned that Chin can get it done, whereas I feel the offense eventually will, but *any defense* will struggle if you can't generate pressure without sending the house.

You simply have to have dudes on that side of the ball. 

• Fire 1

this team, for this year and next, really needs colin miller to step up and take that other MLB spot.  dedrick young is consistently a step or two too slow and out of position to make tackles.  it will probably be even uglier for him this week.  i'm not sure aaron williams is giving you a whole lot either at this point either.  

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

this team, for this year and next, really needs colin miller to step up and take that other MLB spot.  dedrick young is consistently a step or two too slow and out of position to make tackles.  it will probably be even uglier for him this week.  i'm not sure aaron williams is giving you a whole lot either at this point either.  

This team needs EVERYONE to step up.  It's not just one or two players at one or two positions

7 hours ago, brophog said:

Coming into the season, an outside pass rusher was extremely high on our list of concerns, and, unfortunately, that's still the case. Admittedly, I'm more than a little concerned that Chin can get it done, whereas I feel the offense eventually will, but *any defense* will struggle if you can't generate pressure without sending the house.

You simply have to have dudes on that side of the ball. 

i thought this was supposed to be Freedom's year? Anyone know why that's not happening?

10 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

i thought this was supposed to be Freedom's year? Anyone know why that's not happening?

My own personal opinion is he's bulked up too much and doesn't have much explosiveness left.

But he's tied for the team lead in sacks, tied for third in tackles for loss and tied for the team lead in quarterback hurries.  So he's been doing OK.

• Plus1 1

This team was a couple plays from 3-0, providing they played Akron. With Colorado they had 200 yards more of total offense and held them to just 44 rushing yards while rushing for 300+. There were several opportunities to win that game, but that 4th down unnecessary interference by a inexperienced defender blew the game.  Instead of a  1st&10 Nebraska and running out the clock, it was another score for Colorado. No idea what happened with the Troy game, Martinez being out was pretty big, but still, it's Troy.

Same surprise at UM, for being so one sided.

Till the Purdue game to me it was a matter of some bad circumstances and mental mistakes but when Purdue wins in your house you have some player problems.

Frost needs he's own guys, maybe this crew is used to soda and canapes after a loss and dont like that there are no canapes, instead a pissed off coach. Actually watched a couple players joking around and laughing during the blowout, thats not the right mentality,

Still dont get this  buying into Frost, there is nothing to buy into, he is a coach, just maybe not the canapes after a loss type

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

and the better you are on 1st and 2nd down helps with how good you are on 3rd down.  Lets face it, over the lasts couple of years they haven't been good on downs 1 through 4

Actually I think we've been pretty good on 1st and 2nd down generally.  But when we do have a bad play early - sack, penalty, etc. - we've not been very good at recovering from it.

• Plus1 1