What Did We Learn? Purdue

Waldo

3 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

I feel like Martinez turned a corner today. The light seemed like it came on in the second half. I know he made some poor choices and poor throws, but he was also playing more confident. He seemed more comfortable pulling it down and running. I’m really excited to see how he progresses over the year

In my opinion he was pushing too much towards the end. Young kid thing though, he will get better.

5 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

I feel like Martinez turned a corner today. The light seemed like it came on in the second half. I know he made some poor choices and poor throws, but he was also playing more confident. He seemed more comfortable pulling it down and running. I’m really excited to see how he progresses over the year

But, i wonder - how much of that was because Farmer replaced Conrad?  I don't recall exactly when Farmer came in, but it did seem to spark the O a bit.  People were down on Conrad last year, so i couldn't help but wonder if he's still some of the reason for the Oline struggles again this year.  Pure speculation on my part.

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

In my opinion he was pushing too much towards the end. Young kid thing though, he will get better.

Yeah he was, but it’s part of the growing proceess. I’m more saying he just seemed to flow better, he had some really good decisions to pull it down and run, just seemed more in command all of the sudden

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I don’t blame the penalties on Frost, as he said in the press conference they are drilling players over and over on the right way to do things it’s up to the players to keep their heads in the Game and play smart . Some of them just aren’t doing that . Benching players may help in some instances but Frost also made the point of depth issues at many positions and if they had other players to go to they would already be doing that . 

Bottom line to me is that there are bright spots and good players on both sides of the ball and I think we played well enough to win a few of the games we lost (Frost said that too )  . We just are not good enough to overcome all the penalties,turnovers, and mistakes . If they can put together a mistake free 4 quarters of football I still think we can beat some of the teams left on our schedule . I still believe we have the right coaching staff and a few solid playmakers we can compete if we don’t beat ourselves . 

They aren't doing their job and making penalties.  Frost is focusing on the penalties as justification for benching those players which allows him to not really address the former (players should).  I'm sure he's noticed them not doing their job as they've been coached for a while now as well as lacking effort.  Not playing the most talented players may not have gone over too well with the team and fans while we are losing.  Now he's got justification for benching (or hopefully running off) some players that are lacking effort and stupid enough to commit penalties.  Frankly, if he benched anyone for lack of effort and played a walkon, I would have cheered.  Nothing chaps my a$$ more than players quitting or not giving full effort.  Frost is more measured in addressing the problem.  I think you will see players that made penalties but are warriors will be fine.

1 hour ago, alwayshusking said:

I'm having some fun but I am 100% behind Frosty. I'm watching PSU/OSU and we have to recruit and develop a different level of lineman period. 

We don't separate ourselves at all on the LOS. 

Watching as well and just commented we look nothing like them.....They just pass the "eye ball" test at all levels.  Then the performance at skilled positions is at another level.  And those lines....

Just now, TheSker said:

That kinda seems like the point being made.......

I was just adding on. Seems like what he does as he did it in the Colorado game too. Gotta get out of his head when the 4th quarter rolls around. He will get better though. I'd like to see him operate with a more comfortable lead. He tore Colorado apart when he was comfortable. Wouldn't say that about todays game but you could tell when he was feeling more settled and when he wasn't a bit.

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Has the potential.  Just needs to get more comfortable in the system and in his own skin.  Oh, and that throwing it away is ok....

It must be hard to coach.  QB's that can run (especially in HS) always think they can make a play...so for them the idea of tossing it away seems like a wasted play.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I don’t blame the penalties on Frost, as he said in the press conference they are drilling players over and over on the right way to do things it’s up to the players to keep their heads in the Game and play smart . Some of them just aren’t doing that . Benching players may help in some instances but Frost also made the point of depth issues at many positions and if they had other players to go to they would already be doing that . 

Bottom line to me is that there are bright spots and good players on both sides of the ball and I think we played well enough to win a few of the games we lost (Frost said that too )  . We just are not good enough to overcome all the penalties,turnovers, and mistakes . If they can put together a mistake free 4 quarters of football I still think we can beat some of the teams left on our schedule . I still believe we have the right coaching staff and a few solid playmakers we can compete if we don’t beat ourselves . 

i believe you still have to bench the repeat offenders.......what else can you do?  give your dog another bone when he s#!ts in the house?

• Plus1 2