Jump to content
GSG

CFB Coaching Carousel 2018-2019

Recommended Posts

So far we've got Maryland, Bowling Green, Kansas, and now Louisville.

 

Obviously Jeff Brohm at Purdue is the first name that comes up for Louisville. Other names I've seen: Neal Brown from Troy, Luke Fickell from Cincy, Mike Norvell from Memphis, and Scott Sattersfield from Appy State.

 

We've all heard the rumors for Les Miles at KU. Seth Littrell from North Texas, Matt Wells from Utah State. I've seen some talk that KU needs to get someone to run a flexbone/triple option game like Navy (Ken Niumatalolo) or Army (Jeff Monken).

 

Maryland might as well just keep Matt Canada, right?

 

Bowling Green is probably looking at assistant coaches from bigger programs. Although one article mentioned Bo Pelini :lol: 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

Bo may not be at YSU next year.  Rumors he may be fired.

 

Well they can kiss his a$$ out the f***ing door. Cause the day is coming.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

 

Well they can kiss his a$$ out the f***ing door. Cause the day is coming.

One of my vendors son's plays for Bo.  The father went from Nebraska was stupid for firing him to this year Bo is an a--h---.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Mike McIntyre is out at CU after this season. 

 

That kinda surprises me. Are they still paying their last couple coaches too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GSG said:

 

That kinda surprises me. Are they still paying their last couple coaches too? 

He’s been there 6 years, so I think they are good on those payouts. CU has lost 5 games in a row, including a bad one to Oregon State at home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was pheasant hunting in North Central KS this weekend and an alum from KU told me that he was at an event and spoke with AD Long. According to this guy when he asked Long who they were looking at to be the next HC, Long looked him dead in the eye and said Les Miles will be the next HC at KU. Now this guy is a bit of a blow hard but if there is any truth to it then I would honestly say it is probably the best "big name/splash" hire that KU is capable of getting. BUT KU is a dumpster fire that I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to put out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were an AD, here is what I would do about coaching openings (or potential ones) right now

 

Louisville-Brohm, Luke Fickell, Jason Candle, 

 

Purdue (assuming Brohm to Louisville)-Jason Candle, Luke Fickell, Les Miles, Scott Satterfield

 

Kansas-Matt Wells, Seth Littrell

 

Colorado-Matt Wells, Ken Niumatalolo, Bryan Harsin

 

All of them should always look at the coordinators from Ohio St and Alabama as well

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

If purdue opens up, Mike Leach would make the B1G West even more interesting.  Defiantly a division with diverse personalities.  

The pirate is staying right where he is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Les miles to ku seems like a terrible idea. He'll never have any where near the talent he had at lsu at ku. His offense could never keep up with the others in the big 12. Ku needs a matt campbell type which of course is easier said than done. If les miles under achieved at lsu no way he is successful at ku.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Les miles to ku seems like a terrible idea. He'll never have any where near the talent he had at lsu at ku. His offense could never keep up with the others in the big 12. Ku needs a matt campbell type which of course is easier said than done. If les miles under achieved at lsu no way he is successful at ku.

Plus Les is passed his prime. If KU hires Les Miles, it'll be Charlie Weis 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Les miles to ku seems like a terrible idea. He'll never have any where near the talent he had at lsu at ku. His offense could never keep up with the others in the big 12. Ku needs a matt campbell type which of course is easier said than done. If les miles under achieved at lsu no way he is successful at ku.

He’ll put together a good defense at KU. It will be unique in the B12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 8:44 AM, StPaulHusker said:

I don't think Les Miles is desperate enough about coaching again that he takes on something like Kansas.

 

 

Apparently this isn't aging well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

 

 

I was hoping Urban would leave Ohio State this year or next and they would hire Les. He seemed good enough for a top program to give him a second shot, but not good enough to not take them places like Bob Stoops or someone else might.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At some point I feel like Kansas should just let a coach stay for longer and see what happens. I think they should have given Beaty another year since they had won 3 games this season at the point his firing was announced. After the announcement they only lost to Kansas State by 4 points. Here's how they've done since Gill who was only given 2 seasons - I still don't know what they were thinking there unless they didn't get along with him. He went 2-10 at Buffalo in his first season and ended up doing a decent job considering how horrid they were before him. I bolded the winning % of the non interim coaches.


 

36 Turner Gill 2010–2011 24 5 19 0 .208 1 16 0 .059 0 0 0
37 Charlie Weis 2012–2014 27 5 22 0 .185 1 18 0 .053 0 0 0 Fired 4 games into the 2014 season
Int Clint Bowen 2014 8 1 7 0 .125 1 7 0 .125 0 0 0 Interim Head Coach after Charlie Weis was fired
38 David Beaty 2015–present 37 3 34 0 .081 1 26 0 .037 0 0 0 Active Head Coach as of 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Moiraine said:

At some point I feel like Kansas should just let a coach stay for longer and see what happens. I think they should have given Beaty another year since they had won 3 games this season at the point his firing was announced. After the announcement they only lost to Kansas State by 4 points. Here's how they've done since Gill who was only given 2 seasons - I still don't know what they were thinking there unless they didn't get along with him. He went 2-10 at Buffalo in his first season and ended up doing a decent job considering how horrid they were before him. I bolded the winning % of the non interim coaches.


 

36 Turner Gill 2010–2011 24 5 19 0 .208 1 16 0 .059 0 0 0
37 Charlie Weis 2012–2014 27 5 22 0 .185 1 18 0 .053 0 0 0 Fired 4 games into the 2014 season
Int Clint Bowen 2014 8 1 7 0 .125 1 7 0 .125 0 0 0 Interim Head Coach after Charlie Weis was fired
38 David Beaty 2015–present 37 3 34 0 .081 1 26 0 .037 0 0 0 Active Head Coach as of 2018

I would agree except that Beaty had shown to be an idiot with his thoughts all over the place. He just wasn't cut out to be a head coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swiv3D said:

I would agree except that Beaty had shown to be an idiot with his thoughts all over the place. He just wasn't cut out to be a head coach

 

 

I know nothing about him so it's good there was another reason.

I guess since it's Kansas Miles has to seem like a slam dunk hire. He did do a decent job at Oklahoma State where he can't have been getting a lot of good recruits, but he was 50 at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HS_Coach_C said:

USC to retain Helton, but apparently don't like much of what he's doing...

 

Might have been easier to list the things they think he's doing well?????

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bo is a good friend with the Texas Tech AD, no?  And Bo has a history of stopping high powered Big 12 offenses?

 

Very doubtful it would happen, but Bo trying to recruit to Lubbock would be fun to watch.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Red Five said:

Bo is a good friend with the Texas Tech AD, no?  And Bo has a history of stopping high powered Big 12 offenses?

 

Very doubtful it would happen, but Bo trying to recruit to Lubbock would be fun to watch.

FIFY

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Lovie Smith is 9-27 at Illinois.  He's making $4M/year.  They just gave him an extension through 2023

Team is young, and Illinois knows its place.  This is the biggest name coach they could get at that price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Team is young, and Illinois knows its place.  This is the biggest name coach they could get at that price.

He's the 4th highest paid coach in the B1G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

He's the 4th highest paid coach in the B1G

I guess, my point is they are already stuck with a high buyout, and even if they pay more, they may not get anyone better.  Again, team is young.  Not sure how much money they have.  They already overspent.  Might as well keep him unless you are going to go cheap and go MAC.  Not sure that worked for them either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I guess, my point is they are already stuck with a high buyout, and even if they pay more, they may not get anyone better.  Again, team is young.  Not sure how much money they have.  They already overspent.  Might as well keep him unless you are going to go cheap and go MAC.  Not sure that worked for them either.

I'm questioning the contract extension at this point in his tenure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm questioning the contract extension at this point in his tenure

Normal deal, you don't want recruits to think the coach is going anywhere.  They just came off turmoil a few years ago and are looking for stability.  I think they know their place in the league for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×