9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have a friend who is a lawyer that graduated from Nebraska Law School.  I was asking him, OK, what would a lawyer learn going to Harvard Law instead of Nebraska.  He said, the biggest thing is "connections".  If you have any desire to work for the supreme court or in some big Wall Street law firm....Harvard would get you there, not because of what you learn, but because of who you know.

Correct.  I have two siblings with law degrees and both very successful in the Midwest and neither wanted to live on the east coast so it would have been pointless to attend one of those law programs.  

On the other hand, my nephew recently graduated from Princeton with a finance degree and wanted to live and work in the city.  His two roommates/teammates came from billionaire families and he wouldn’t have the job he currently has without the connections he has made and name of the school connected to his degree.  In his field, he’s probably 5-10 years ahead of someone his age with a finance degree from UNL or KU, etc…

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

….and a private high school…..in Nebraska for example, would lead to what great connections?

I get that much of the time it’s who you know and not what you know but I struggle with the prestige aspect at the HS level. Sure there may be a few nationally that move the needle but that’s way less than 1% of the people who are paying out the a$$ for private schools.

I agree with you about a private HS in Nebraska.  

I have another friend (yes, I have two friends) whose kids went to Kearney Catholic.  He and I discussed this a lot with my accusing them of recruiting in sports...etc.  He said, the big difference is that the vast majority of students that parents are going to send to KC are good and motivated students.  Public schools have to deal with all the problem kids or kids with much less ability.  So, KC teachers and coaches get to teach and coach a much higher percentage of upper level students.

I don't know if a prestigious school like MIT or Harvard would look at a kid that goes to KC as being better or not compared to a Kearney High kid.  

That said, my niece and her husband live in Philly and their kids will end up going to one of the top HSs in the nation.  I could see MIT or Harvard seeing that and being impressed.

• TBH 1
27 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

….and a private high school…..in Nebraska for example, would lead to what great connections?

I get that much of the time it’s who you know and not what you know but I struggle with the prestige aspect at the HS level. Sure there may be a few nationally that move the needle but that’s way less than 1% of the people who are paying out the a$$ for private schools.

A top level job in manure management 

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have another friend (yes, I have two friends) whose kids went to Kearney Catholic.  He and I discussed this a lot with my accusing them of recruiting in sports...etc.  He said, the big difference is that the vast majority of students that parents are going to send to KC are good and motivated students.  Public schools have to deal with all the problem kids or kids with much less ability.  So, KC teachers and coaches get to teach and coach a much higher percentage of upper level students.

I don't know if a prestigious school like MIT or Harvard would look at a kid that goes to KC as being better or not compared to a Kearney High kid.  

That said, my niece and her husband live in Philly and their kids will end up going to one of the top HSs in the nation.  I could see MIT or Harvard seeing that and being impressed.

Yes, for sure some of these schools have more educational rigor and the exclusivity helps weed out problem kids (and problem parents). At best they provide some better alternatives for people that actually care and can afford it. On the other hand, many use their wealth to avoid certain demographics for suspect reasons.

We never went to that extreme with our kids but we did opt out of our home middle school and high school boundaries. At the MS level it was to avoid rougher schools that had known behavior issues. We actually sent our daughter to MS in a neighboring town because all the public middle schools here are pretty much cesspools. At the HS level it was to provide a better AP curriculum. Oddly, 2 of the more popular HS choices for the people of means were highly clickish and had more drug problems. It was always pretty obvious that most people that transferred to those schools were more concerned about image and avoiding certain POC.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I can answer that...Creighton Prep (Not sure if you remember it or not?) is THAT school with connections here in Omaha.  Big time.  

As far as the other private ones here?  Not as much, maybe not even at all really.  

But a lot of former Prep kids have great jobs in Omaha or start companies, things like that.  They stick together and help each other out.  

• Plus1 2

59 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Probably not a huge difference either way.  

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Private schools don't usually have to deal with this crap.

Dang...

Can't wait to hear what (doesn't) happen to that kid.

I would love to hear ideas on what people think his punishment should be???

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I would love to hear ideas on what people think his punishment should be???

Well, I believe he should be banned from attending that school ever again.  I also believe that kids like this should be sent to a special school for troubled kids where there is strict security and discipline.  It probably would be some form of boarding school where they are monitored heavily.  If, they can get past a certain point without problems (maybe one year at that school), they can be allowed back into another public school....but on a very short leash or they are back in the boarding school.

Kids like this are wasting everyone else's time and money.  They prevent good kids from having a good productive learning experience.

I remember, when I was in HS, there was a school in Nebraska that some troubled kids were sent to.  Maybe in Norfolk???  Beatrice?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, I believe he should be banned from attending that school ever again.  I also believe that kids like this should be sent to a special school for troubled kids where there is strict security and discipline.  It probably would be some form of boarding school where they are monitored heavily.  If, they can get past a certain point without problems (maybe one year at that school), they can be allowed back into another public school....but on a very short leash or they are back in the boarding school.

Kids like this are wasting everyone else's time and money.  They prevent good kids from having a good productive learning experience.

I remember, when I was in HS, there was a school in Nebraska that some troubled kids were sent to.  Maybe in Norfolk???  Beatrice?

I like this answer!

Yeah, I think Norfolk had/has the school for Juvie-delinquents.  I think, or maybe it was McCook?

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Greeley has a special HS for the rejects and worst problems. Complete waste of taxpayer money imo. They should just cut em loose and let them get an early start on their careers in prison.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
40 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I can answer that...Creighton Prep (Not sure if you remember it or not?) is THAT school with connections here in Omaha.  Big time.  

As far as the other private ones here?  Not as much, maybe not even at all really.  

But a lot of former Prep kids have great jobs in Omaha or start companies, things like that.  They stick together and help each other out.  

I’m curious. What does it cost per year for Creighton Prep?

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Greeley has a special HS for the rejects and worst problems. Complete waste of taxpayer money imo. They should just cut em loose and let them get an early start on their careers in prison.

Isn't that why we have over crowded prisons, repeat offenders, and a cycle of poverty?

Idk what the right answer is, but kids like that need some serious discipline that they obviously don't get at home.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Isn't that why we have over crowded prisons, repeat offenders, and a cycle of poverty?

Idk what the right answer is, but kids like that need some serious discipline that they obviously don't get at home.

Yes it is. But the special school for the troubled only serves to separate them from the other kids. I don’t think there is any great rehabilitation going on there. The dropout rate is extremely high and they have a very high level of continuing discipline problems, stabbings etc. I’m sorry but high school is too late to be turning these kids around. Lack of proper parenting has doomed them. JMO but I would guess it really helps fewer than 5% that get banished there.

• TBH 3