20 minutes ago, GSG said:

I tried keeping it somewhat professional for a while: golf shirt and shorts in the summer, golf shirt and jeans but I'm never on camera so I stopped. 

I had a job where it wasn't in policy that you couldn't have a beard, but it was well known that the bank president hated it and would make a big stink about it. However, mustaches were OK :blink:

I was offered a principal job (shocking, i know), and one of my bosses at the time was like "if you take it you are to be in. a jacket and tie everyday"

I was just like, why?  I work with kids.

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am not sure if there is anything ever that has the same negative stigma attached to it as jeans.

Like, this crazy idea that if you wear jeans you are "bad" or won't work or are not professional.  

You can throw hats and tennis shoes on the list oh and for women, leggings.  Good lord, just let us dress like we want to dress.

My last school had a "beard" policy.  I technically had to be "clean shaven"

What subject(s) do you teach?  Private or public schools?

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.thecollegefix.com/marriage-promotes-white-supremacy-george-mason-professor/

:facepalm: why do we pay these people?

“I theorize that marriage fundamentalism, like structural racism, is a key structuring element of White heteropatriarchal supremacy,” Professor Bethany Letiecq wrote in the Journal of Marriage and Family.

“Marriage fundamentalism can be understood as an ideological and cultural phenomenon, where adherents espouse the superiority of the two-parent married family,”

• TBH 2

37 minutes ago, nic said:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/marriage-promotes-white-supremacy-george-mason-professor/

“I theorize that marriage fundamentalism, like structural racism, is a key structuring element of White heteropatriarchal supremacy,” Professor Bethany Letiecq wrote in the Journal of Marriage and Family.

“Marriage fundamentalism can be understood as an ideological and cultural phenomenon, where adherents espouse the superiority of the two-parent married family,”

Everything is somehow racist to the Left.  Unfortunately.  

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

Decolonization of sex is part of the playbook.

• TBH 1

https://www.statepress.com/article/2024/03/lawsuit-goldwater-anderson-dei#

The lawsuit references a state law that states that a state agency "may not require an employee to engage in training, orientation, or therapy that presents any form of blame or judgment on the basis of race, ethnicity or sex." 

I wondered when DEI program lawsuits would start. The interesting part is that this law was probably put in place to protect minorities and LGBTQ. 

• TBH 3
  • 4 weeks later...

10 hours ago, funhusker said:

This can’t be news to people, can it?

Private schools: where people with cash hide from the world…

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/here-are-the-15-most-expensive-high-schools-in-america

I know Guy won't believe it but that is okay, BUT, I was going to do a little project on these schools in one of my classes, when we discuss poverty/wealth in America.  

I find it fascinating that people pay this much, 50K and up, for high school but of course with that comes major connections, which is the probably the most significant part of those schools.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/here-are-the-15-most-expensive-high-schools-in-america

I know Guy won't believe it but that is okay, BUT, I was going to do a little project on these schools in one of my classes, when we discuss poverty/wealth in America.  

I find it fascinating that people pay this much, 50K and up, for high school but of course with that comes major connections, which is the probably the most significant part of those schools.

I have a friend who is a lawyer that graduated from Nebraska Law School.  I was asking him, OK, what would a lawyer learn going to Harvard Law instead of Nebraska.  He said, the biggest thing is "connections".  If you have any desire to work for the supreme court or in some big Wall Street law firm....Harvard would get you there, not because of what you learn, but because of who you know.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have a friend who is a lawyer that graduated from Nebraska Law School.  I was asking him, OK, what would a lawyer learn going to Harvard Law instead of Nebraska.  He said, the biggest thing is "connections".  If you have any desire to work for the supreme court or in some big Wall Street law firm....Harvard would get you there, not because of what you learn, but because of who you know.

Yep!

I sent a student to MIT years ago.  His roommie just so happend to be the son of one of the owners of the Brewers...

Well, my former student got an internship with them and now is in the front office.  Worked out great for him.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

….and a private high school…..in Nebraska for example, would lead to what great connections?

I get that much of the time it’s who you know and not what you know but I struggle with the prestige aspect at the HS level. Sure there may be a few nationally that move the needle but that’s way less than 1% of the people who are paying out the a$$ for private schools.