1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I must have missed the memo of when Bill Maher turned “right”

His entire shtick is claiming to be a lib and then criticizing everything liberal and/or woke, and has been for a long time. 

I am not familiar with him pre the 2010s so for me it's kind of the opposite; I missed the memo of when he ever had actual liberal leanings.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

It's a funny joke; but it's also stupid, and a false narrative if given an ounce of thought.

Maybe, but a lot of people think there is some truth behind the jokes and any protests or comments that support Hamas or disparage Jews coming out of academia just reinforces that belief. There are big doners that have stopped donating to their almamaters, becuase of statements made. It probably won't hurt the school. The students will just call them Zionists and petition to rename whatever building they funded or tear down the plaques with their name on it. While that last statement was a joke, it would not surprise me if it happened.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, nic said:

Maybe, but a lot of people think there is some truth behind the jokes and any protests or comments that support Hamas or disparage Jews coming out of academia just reinforces that belief. There are big doners that have stopped donating to their almamaters, becuase of statements made. It probably won't hurt the school. The students will just call them Zionists and petition to rename whatever building they funded or tear down the plaques with their name on it. While that last statement was a joke, it would not surprise me if it happened.

A lot of people thought Donald Trump was smart too.

• TBH 1

18 hours ago, ZRod said:

A lot of people thought Donald Trump was smart too.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/october-harvard-caps--harris-poll-strong-majorities-of-americans-support-israel-against-hamas-and-us-policy-on-israel-301963636.html

This a poll from Harvard no less. The article is saying support for Hamas is generational. Check out the 18 to 24 age group. 48% with Hamas. I heard brains are not fully developed until mid 20s. Maybe that's it. :cowbell:

84% of voters side more with Israel than with Hamas (ages 18-24: 52%; ages 65+: 95%).
88% of voters think Israel has the responsibility to protect its citizens by retaliating against Hamas (ages 18-24: 65%; ages 65+: 97%).
84% of voters believe Israel has the right to defend itself by launching air strikes in heavily populated Palestinian areas with warnings to those citizens (ages 18-24: 62%; ages 65+: 93%).
70% of voters think Israel should eliminate Hamas, not end its campaign against Hamas now (ages 18-24: 48%; ages 65+: 82%).

• Plus1 3
On 10/24/2023 at 12:21 PM, BigRedBuster said:

And...they don't even realize it.

I don't think conservatives trust the education department and school boards anymore. 2020 ticked people off with too much remote learning, (which was a disaster) and exposed some parents (the ones who cared enough to pay attention) to the classroom. They didn't like what they heard and saw. I talk with my kids about what they are learning in school....especially classes like history and literature. So far, the only thing I found was a fourth grade teacher who taught fractions incorrectly. Her contract was not renewed. My sons Uber Woke Literature teacher turned out to be a GREAT teacher and her selection of material to read was fine, although I expected more of the classics. I still monitored the class, but was pleasantly surprised in the end. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, nic said:

Uber Woke Literature teacher

Can you explain what this means?

1 hour ago, nic said:

I don't think conservatives trust the education department and school boards anymore.

All across the country, conservatives have been installing unqualified crackpots onto local school boards to make sure the furries don't have litter boxes, to ban books about Hank Aaron and Anne Frank, and to make sure no one forces their kids to turn transgender. Yeah, I don't trust school boards anymore either.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
6 hours ago, Ulty said:

I was just trying to be funny. She was liberal and often had political discussions in class to convey her opinions on various topics, especially trans rights. From what I understand, the kids didn't engage on the topics much. I would certainly recommend her as a teacher, though, despite our different political views. She got my kid more interested in reading, and he actually engaged in a class I figured he was going to blow off. Can't ask for more than that.

6 hours ago, Ulty said:

All across the country, conservatives have been installing unqualified crackpots onto local school boards

This is true. Happened in our district. I don't think they are MGT type crackpots, but they don't know much about running a school district. This district is conservative but tends to flop back and forth between a conservative board and a liberal one.  I am perplexed as to why the elections seem to be all or none, but happens. Outside donors throw lots of money at this little district election.  It started when a conservative board was elected and adopted schoolof choice policies. They got sued. It was tied up in courts for 2 years and then lots of outside money started pouring in. This district sort of became a battleground.

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

All across the country, conservatives have been installing unqualified crackpots onto local school boards to make sure the furries don't have litter boxes, to ban books about Hank Aaron and Anne Frank, and to make sure no one forces their kids to turn transgender. Yeah, I don't trust school boards anymore either.

if you are not in education you should have zero right or expectation to be on a school board, which we all agree on but pretend like we don't.

We would NEVER allow this and "these people", firemen, basically do nothing at all and any outside help would only be appreciated.  But for education, everyone thinks they know about it.  

If you want to get involved, GET INVOLVED, go get a degree and teach.  I don't mean you, by the way, you seem normal.  

• Plus1 1