14 hours ago, nic said:

People can be jerks without being fascists. 

And companies can create toxic workplaces having little or nothing to do with gender harassment. 

We could have a lot more interesting conversations if we weren't so quick to stick things in binary columns. 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

12 hours ago, funhusker said:

This is actually a really good point. I’m being genuine.

Instead of using words like deplorable, fascists, nazis, etc. Let’s just start calling people jerks; it’s what they are.  And I think most people would actually stop and think if they were being called a jerk…

99% of stuff like this, is just people being jerks.  And most of the time, they don't even "mean it"

• Plus1 3

Has anyone here ever worked in a "toxic" workplace?

I did, for over 10 years.  It did not start off bad but it got bad.  Everything was based off appearance, my principal created a workplace environment that was almost scary.  I am at a new building now with new administrators and I am still, at times, worried/scared about things, thinking back to how much "trouble" Me or other staff would have been at my old building.  

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Russell Rickford, an associate professor of history at Cornell, said he was "exhilarated" by the ambush killings at a pro-Palestinian rally. 

"It was exhilarating, it was energizing. If they [the Palestinians] weren't exhilarated by this challenge to the monopoly of violence, by the shifting of this balance of power, they would not be human. I was exhilarated," he told the crowd, who responded with cheers. 

Rickford apologized this week for his remarks, saying he made a "horrible choice of words."

Choice of words? Our universities seem messed up to me. I wouldn't want Mr Rickford teaching my kids history.

• TBH 2

19 minutes ago, nic said:

Russell Rickford, an associate professor of history at Cornell, said he was "exhilarated" by the ambush killings at a pro-Palestinian rally. 

"It was exhilarating, it was energizing. If they [the Palestinians] weren't exhilarated by this challenge to the monopoly of violence, by the shifting of this balance of power, they would not be human. I was exhilarated," he told the crowd, who responded with cheers. 

Rickford apologized this week for his remarks, saying he made a "horrible choice of words."

Choice of words? Our universities seem messed up to me. I wouldn't want Mr Rickford teaching my kids history.

Wow! 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, nic said:

Idiot. 

14 hours ago, nic said:

99.999 of college and University staff and programs are fine.  Now pricing/expenses? That’s what’s messed up!

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, funhusker said:

99.999 of college and University staff and programs are fine.  Now pricing/expenses? That’s what’s messed up!

This is funny because I was going to say 99% of staff and college students are normal.  

Then you have 1% that pretend they are dead on the union grass to protest the sun.  And you have 1% of professors that feel the need to support things that are clearly horrible.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This is funny because I was going to say 99% of staff and college students are normal.  

Then you have 1% that pretend they are dead on the union grass to protest the sun.  And you have 1% of professors that feel the need to support things that are clearly horrible.

Yeah, it’s the same for the general public.  Most of us go about our day honestly and completely normally.  We wake up, work, eat, hang out, go to bed.  

That 1% though…

• TBH 1

5 hours ago, funhusker said:

Very true.  I do not mean to paint a broad brush. Does it help explain some of protests we have been seeing? I don’t know. My kid’s colleges had pro Israel demonstrations so maybe it goes both ways or down ideological lines.

below is supposedly a facility member from UC Davis.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

While we are on the topic... I guess Bill Maher has gone to the dark side...but funny none the less.

"As an Ivy League graduate who knows the value of a liberal education, I have one piece of advice for the youth of America: Don’t go to college."

"And if you absolutely have to go, don’t go to an elite college, because as recent events have shown, it just makes you stupid."

Maher stated that the tragedy in Israel revealed "how higher education has become indoctrination into a stew of bad ideas, among them the simplistic notion that the world is a binary place where everyone is either an oppressor or oppressed, in the case of Israel, oppressors being babies and bubbes."

"The same students who will tell you that words are violence and silence is violence, were very supportive when Hamas terrorists went on a rape and murder rampage worthy of the Vikings."

"They knew where to point the finger, at the murdered, and then it was off to ethics class,"

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
13 hours ago, nic said:

While we are on the topic... I guess Bill Maher has gone to the dark side...but funny none the less.

"As an Ivy League graduate who knows the value of a liberal education, I have one piece of advice for the youth of America: Don’t go to college."

"And if you absolutely have to go, don’t go to an elite college, because as recent events have shown, it just makes you stupid."

Maher stated that the tragedy in Israel revealed "how higher education has become indoctrination into a stew of bad ideas, among them the simplistic notion that the world is a binary place where everyone is either an oppressor or oppressed, in the case of Israel, oppressors being babies and bubbes."

"The same students who will tell you that words are violence and silence is violence, were very supportive when Hamas terrorists went on a rape and murder rampage worthy of the Vikings."

"They knew where to point the finger, at the murdered, and then it was off to ethics class,"

Your obsession with Maher, as if he was some bastion of liberal thought, is weird. He hasn't really been a part of the political left for over a decade if he ever was at all. He's mostly just an equal opportunity a$$h@!e, who happens to make a good point from time to time.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
15 hours ago, ZRod said:

Your obsession with Maher, as if he was some bastion of liberal thought, is weird. He hasn't really been a part of the political left for over a decade if he ever was at all. He's mostly just an equal opportunity a$$h@!e, who happens to make a good point from time to time.

I forgot the best line...

"Because college life today is a day spa combined with North Korean re-education camp. It’s a daycare center with a meal plan, except the toddlers can fire the adults." :rollin

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, nic said:

I forgot the best line...

"Because college life today is a day spa combined with North Korean re-education camp. It’s a daycare center with a meal plan, except the toddlers can fire the adults." :rollin

It's a funny joke; but it's also stupid, and a false narrative if given an ounce of thought.

• Plus1 1