The person she was with yelled at her saying "accomodations for time blindness doesn't exist and if you struggle with being on time, you'll never be able to get a job." 

The person added: "Your stupid generation wants to destroy the workplace" 

In a TikTok posted on Tuesday, Trefren clarified she has ADHD and was applying to trade school. She was on the phone to ask the school if they had adjustments for "ADHD time blindness." She said it was her mom who yelled at her. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, teachercd said:

I am totally going to bring it up.  "Hey, everyone, can we discuss what to do with or time blind students. how can we set them up for success?" 

I would pay (like maybe $1) to see someone bring that up in a working group session. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

By the way, this line in the Business Insider article is completely wrong. 

Christina Morrison, a manager at HR services firm Insperity, also told Fox Business that "once employers are aware of a disability, they are then obligated to accommodate those disabilities." 

Employers are not "obligated' to accommodate disabilities. They are required to investigate their options of providing an accommodation. If those options are not reasonable, the employer doesn't have to accommodate.

That whole article read like a TMZ post. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I would pay (like maybe $1) to see someone bring that up in a working group session. 

I have sat in one two plans for students, one was late to school every morning and the other just constantly skipped or left.

We found out that one that was always late just refused to go to bed, stayed up all night playing games and then "couldn't get up" in the morning, so he would sleep in and be late, everyday.  

The parents were like "We just don't know what to do" 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

By the way, this line in the Business Insider article is completely wrong. 

Christina Morrison, a manager at HR services firm Insperity, also told Fox Business that "once employers are aware of a disability, they are then obligated to accommodate those disabilities." 

Employers are not "obligated' to accommodate disabilities. They are required to investigate their options of providing an accommodation. If those options are not reasonable, the employer doesn't have to accommodate.

That whole article read like a TMZ post. 

Yeah, in the end there is only so much and employer could do.  

• TBH 1
45 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I have sat in one two plans for students, one was late to school every morning and the other just constantly skipped or left.

We found out that one that was always late just refused to go to bed, stayed up all night playing games and then "couldn't get up" in the morning, so he would sleep in and be late, everyday.  

The parents were like "We just don't know what to do" 

Clueless f#&%ing parents.

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Clueless f#&%ing parents.

That was sort of the consensus at the meeting!

Had one student, a senior, who just sort of stopped showing up and/or coming late.  And the Asst Principal was talking to the mom about it because the mom was clueless as how to fix this situation and my Asst Principal was like "Have you thought about taking away her phone or her car, until she starts showing up on time and comes to school"

and the mom was like "I just don't know if we can do that"

Ha!  My asst principal was like "Yeah, you can"

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

That was sort of the consensus at the meeting!

Had one student, a senior, who just sort of stopped showing up and/or coming late.  And the Asst Principal was talking to the mom about it because the mom was clueless as how to fix this situation and my Asst Principal was like "Have you thought about taking away her phone or her car, until she starts showing up on time and comes to school"

and the mom was like "I just don't know if we can do that"

Ha!  My asst principal was like "Yeah, you can"

Houston...we have identified the problem.

Sad thing is, this attitude from the parent has obviously caused the problem.  But, now it's too late.  The discipline and teaching the kid how to be responsible should have been for the last 18 years.

Schools can only control what goes on at school, and I know of one school and a couple individual teachers who forced kids to surrender their phones for the duration of class. Some parents protested that the school was overstepping its authority, as they needed to know they could reach their child (and vice-versa) whenever they wanted. 

I don't know what to make about the exhausted kids. I thought my kids stayed up way too late on school nights, and when we forced lights out and phones off, they lay in bed awake until about the same time they would have otherwise gone to sleep. When I checked with other parents I found out most of their kids went to sleep even later then ours. In a lot of cases they were genuinely doing homework. The gamers are another story. It's an addiction. But, as mentioned, there are some simple and obvious ways to shut off their access. 

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Schools can only control what goes on at school, and I know of one school and a couple individual teachers who forced kids to surrender their phones for the duration of class. Some parents protested that the school was overstepping its authority, as they needed to know they could reach their child (and vice-versa) whenever they wanted. 

I don't know what to make about the exhausted kids. I thought my kids stayed up way too late on school nights, and when we forced lights out and phones off, they lay in bed awake until about the same time they would have otherwise gone to sleep. When I checked with other parents I found out most of their kids went to sleep even later then ours. In a lot of cases they were genuinely doing homework. The gamers are another story. It's an addiction. But, as mentioned, there are some simple and obvious ways to shut off their access. 

I have become a non-fan of tablets/laptops in schools, but I don't really have a great argument for taking them away.

What I do see is students that, in many cases, have become hyper aware of getting their work done, quickly and efficiently.  Even if they might doing work for another class while in my class, they are still paying attention to me, just like me and you, they multitask with ease.  BUT it is annoying to see them playing games or sending messages to friends and shopping, even though I do the same things during meetings.

Phones, if the school allows them, the teacher should have the final say in the classroom.  Up until 20 years ago parents were able to find ways to get in touch with their kid if they had to get in touch.  And since the kids have tablets, they can always email them.  I will have students ask if they can text their mom/dad, I have never said no to that but they don't need phones out in class.  Of course, I have mine out during class because I am important and cool.  

They also can't drink coffee in class but I can.  They don't like that one either!  Ha

On staying up late, my students STAY UP LATE, I am sure doing a mix of homework and screwing around, which is to be expected.  But man, I hear them talking about it all the time.  "I went to bed at 1am last night". What???  

• Plus1 1

Students in STEM programs at Oregon St. made jokes on an LGBTQ survey, including identifying as attack Helicopters, and somehow that is connected to fascism and white supremacy. What if some were Asian kids...

https://bulletin.appliedtransstudies.org/article/2/1-2/4/

"it was disturbingly clear to our research team that the malicious responses could not be dismissed and indicated that discussions of gender and sexuality in STEM education are flashpoints for fascist ideologues living “inside the house” of engineering and computer science."

How about, STEM kids are mostly logical types and decided to be jerks about something they don't get. I met lots of a-holes in college. I am sure I was one of them. People can be jerks without being fascists. 

• TBH 1
2 hours ago, nic said:

Students in STEM programs at Oregon St. made jokes on an LGBTQ survey, including identifying as attack Helicopters, and somehow that is connected to fascism and white supremacy. What if some were Asian kids...

"it was disturbingly clear to our research team that the malicious responses could not be dismissed and indicated that discussions of gender and sexuality in STEM education are flashpoints for fascist ideologues living “inside the house” of engineering and computer science."

How about, STEM kids are mostly logical types and decided to be jerks about something they don't get. I met lots of a-holes in college. I am sure I was one of them. People can be jerks without being fascists. 

This is actually a really good point. I’m being genuine.

Instead of using words like deplorable, fascists, nazis, etc. Let’s just start calling people jerks; it’s what they are.  And I think most people would actually stop and think if they were being called a jerk…

4 hours ago, nic said:

This paper is an actual genuine piece of garbage that screams "we had our conclusions before we had the data" and is antithetical to the scientific method.

• Plus1 1