31 minutes ago, teachercd said:

We have so many nut jobs out there that think feelings are more important than math ... s#!t most colleges have been strong-armed into not longer requiring ACT/SAT results, the are "optional" 

Students thought that was amazing until I told them that they created a more difficult path.  Before, you had 3 piles at a college.

Yes:  This applicant has the test scores and gpa we require

No: This applicant doesn't have the test scores and gpa we require

Maybe:  This person has SOME of our requirements

So you eliminated 1/3  of the applicants right away and possibly 66% of them.

NOW...everyone goes in the maybe pile.  Now getting into your college became harder because Timmy Notest has the same chance as Tanya Perfectscore.  In theory.

So the "we hate tests" crowd created MORE competition for themselves but with less guidelines of how that competition is won.  

Classic case of a first time boat owner...over correcting the wheel.  

Great post! 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yep!

In the last two years I have had students get rejected from (mostly Big Ten) Schools that normally would have got in with ease.  Oh and the waitlisting now...it is insane.

With almost everything in life, there's a happy medium. 

You have great test scores?  You're in. 

You don't have great test scores?  OK, what else can we look at, you have great GPA with lots of activities and scholastic awards...bla bla...you're in. 

You don't have great test scores....and you don't have a good GPA.....and you did nothing in HS?  Sorry, please apply at the local factory.

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

With almost everything in life, there's a happy medium. 

You have great test scores?  You're in. 

You don't have great test scores?  OK, what else can we look at, you have great GPA with lots of activities and scholastic awards...bla bla...you're in. 

You don't have great test scores....and you don't have a good GPA.....and you did nothing in HS?  Sorry, please apply at the local factory.

That is fair happy medium.   

2020 royally screwed things up in 2 specific ways for higher achieving HS kids going through the college application process which is unfortunate.   Maybe the pendulum will swing back to where it’s supposed to be sooner rather than later.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

That is fair happy medium.   

2020 royally screwed things up in 2 specific ways for higher achieving HS kids going through the college application process which is unfortunate.   Maybe the pendulum will swing back to where it’s supposed to be sooner rather than later.  

Yeah, it's a mess, and my son was right in the middle of it. He doesn't test well, so we were grateful. The smartypants kids did make it to the finer schools, near as we can tell. Looks like he can actually earn his bones at Community College and join them in a couple years. Or not. 

Prior to COVID there was already a lot of rumbling about the imperfections and occasionally outright fraud in SAT testing and scores. There's a whole industry around training for the test, using analytics to understand the tricks and tendencies of the SAT, a process that seems entirely separate from whatever you learned and achieved in high school.

Pendulum will probably swing back. A baseline is helpful, but universities already exercise some leeway and exceptions.  

57 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The smartypants kids did make it to the finer schools, near as we can tell

They actually didn’t many times.  I have a 20 yr that lived through the experience.  35 ACT, 4.64 GPA, top 5 class ranking out of over 1500 students, the usual extracurricular school activities, and the backing of the college baseball coach for admission.   Didn’t get into a single Ivy, MIT, or U of Chicago.   When the MIT coach called saying my kid wasn’t admitted, coach said he’s never experienced anything like that before:dunno  Similar words were expressed by the U of Chicago coach and Columbia coach.   

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

They actually didn’t many times.  I have a 20 yr that lived through the experience.  35 ACT, 4.64 GPA, top 5 class ranking out of over 1500 students, the usual extracurricular school activities, and the backing of the college baseball coach for admission.   Didn’t get into a single Ivy, MIT, or U of Chicago.   When the MIT coach called saying my kid wasn’t admitted, coach said he’s never experienced anything like that before:dunno  Similar words were expressed by the U of Chicago coach and Columbia coach.   

Sounds like we each have anecdotal examples. 

Congrats on your son's accomplishments, but the Ivys, MIT and U of Chicago are very, very hard to get into. Not sure how it intersects with baseball recruits.

The smartypants kids I'm talking about got into Tufts, UCLA, and Northwestern, not Harvard or MIT. 

19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

. Not sure how it intersects with baseball recruits

Prior to Covid, playing a sport and having a coach say they really needed said kid to be admitted (was common knowledge those coaches usually got 2-4 push throughs a year assuming they met the average admittance threshold or above so they can field certain positions).   He was near the top of the admittance applicants for said schools along with a coach push and still got denied (2021 HS grad).  That’s where it plays a role. 

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Sounds like we each have anecdotal examples.

I started my college career at a JUCO just as your child.  It’s also a good way to go for the first two years and will will recommend it to my next two kids when they get college aged if they aren’t set to another school for a certain reason.  My personnel opinion is your child made a smart decision. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Prior to Covid, playing a sport and having a coach say they really needed said kid to be admitted (was common knowledge those coaches usually got 2-4 push throughs a year assuming they met the average admittance threshold or above so they can field certain positions).   He was near the top of the admittance applicants for said schools along with a coach push and still got denied (2021 HS grad).  That’s where it plays a role. 

This is simple.  The liberal schools knew this kid's dad voted for Trump.

j/k.  Sorry.....couldn't resist.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...