3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Something I feel like is getting conveniently overlooked by some people in the whole Columbia University thing.

According to my research, Columbia (along with most universities) have clearly stated policies surrounding protests or demonstrations, where they can happen, how long they can happen for, etc. The policies seem quite fair and reasonable, allowing for demonstrations while still not interfering with other students or the going-ons of the university. So, if my facts are right, the Columbia students began a multi-day encampment that violated several university policies and wouldn't disperse, so they were arrested on Apr. 18. Then it all escalates into the building takeover that ended in more arrests last night.

Now, someone can certainly tell me if my facts are wrong, but all these people screaming about how Columbia is in the wrong and mishandled this whole thing... seems a lot like the pot calling the kettle black. Shouldn't the responsibility be on the demonstrators to do things the right way? Free speech without infringing on the rights of others yeah?

That's the way I see it.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Something I feel like is getting conveniently overlooked by some people in the whole Columbia University thing.

According to my research, Columbia (along with most universities) have clearly stated policies surrounding protests or demonstrations, where they can happen, how long they can happen for, etc. The policies seem quite fair and reasonable, allowing for demonstrations while still not interfering with other students or the going-ons of the university. So, if my facts are right, the Columbia students began a multi-day encampment that violated several university policies and wouldn't disperse, so they were arrested on Apr. 18. Then it all escalates into the building takeover that ended in more arrests last night.

Now, someone can certainly tell me if my facts are wrong, but all these people screaming about how Columbia is in the wrong and mishandled this whole thing... seems a lot like the pot calling the kettle black. Shouldn't the responsibility be on the demonstrators to do things the right way? Free speech without infringing on the rights of others yeah?

I agree with you in this case. But I think it's also important to remember that throughout history the rules and laws are often made to minimize or prevent protests, so protests not following the rules is mostly how they've had to operate. So it's somewhat a matter of if the rules Columbia has for protesting allow for real protests or not, which I think they do in this case.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I agree with you in this case. But I think it's also important to remember that throughout history the rules and laws are often made to minimize or prevent protests, so protests not following the rules is mostly how they've had to operate. So it's somewhat a matter of if the rules Columbia has for protesting allow for real protests or not, which I think they do in this case.

If it breaks laws, it’s not a protest.  It’s a riot.

yes, there were riots along side the BLM protests.

• TBH 3
12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

If it breaks laws, it’s not a protest.  It’s a riot.

yes, there were riots along side the BLM protests.

Rosa Parks broke the law with her protest to not give up her seat. The Greensboro sit-ins were protests where people were arrested for trespassing. Sometimes protests must break the law and that doesn't make them riots.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • TBH 1
  • Worth a Look 1
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Rosa Parks broke the law with her protest to not give up her seat. The Greensboro sit-ins were protests where people were arrested for trespassing. Sometimes protests must break the law and that doesn't make them riots.

And wasn’t Parks arrested?

Easier to get sympathy from the public when getting arrested for sitting on a bus going to work instead of throwing rocks and calling people racist names.

These pro-hamas protestors are the racist a$$h@!es that Parks was standing up against.  Get a clue man!

• TBH 4

Just now, funhusker said:

And wasn’t Parks arrested?

Yes - that's my point. She was arrested for breaking the law. But it was clearly not a riot despite your claim: "If it breaks laws, it’s not a protest.  It’s a riot."

Just now, funhusker said:

Easier to get sympathy from the public when getting arrested for sitting on a bus going to work instead of throwing rocks and calling people racist names.

These pro-hamas protestors are the racist a$$h@!es that Parks was standing up against.  Get a clue man!

Yes, we completely agree here. I think you are missing the point. Read what I wrote again.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Yes - that's my point. She was arrested for breaking the law. But it was clearly not a riot despite your claim: "If it breaks laws, it’s not a protest.  It’s a riot."

Yes, we completely agree here. I think you are missing the point. Read what I wrote again.

I haven’t followed closely.  It’s my fault.  

I assumed you were defending these idiots “protesting” on the campuses and shutting down learning only to promote antisemitism.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It truly is amazing how stupid she is.  

She is extremely stupid and no different than the professional agitators.   She doesn’t want to govern, she just wants to protest and agitate for “her causes”. 

However, private university’s still receive federal funding.  Research grants, Pell grants, federal student loans, etc..

• Plus1 1

This is a plausible take.

I can’t believe I have to explain what’s happening here, but here goes. Elite students of Ivy League schools have glamorized oppression so much that they have now reached role play status to satisfy their fantasies. Here, the students have appropriated the suffering of Gazans and are cosplaying as living through humanitarian crisis. In their American make-believe story where Ivy League infrastructure sets the scene, the students play Gazans and the school administration plays Israel.

Israel (the school) is blocking their “basic humanitarian aid” in this play, and if they don’t receive it soon, they will “die of thirst and starvation” (appropriating exact experiences of Gazans). They also destroy upper class buildings and claim them as “liberated” while the students repeat chants in zombie-like chorus, playing the roll of “freedom fighters” destroying Israeli infrastructure and claiming them freed. If I’m alive in a world where people don’t see the levels of perversion in this, I give up.

You don’t see this in lower tier schools from kids of lower socio-economic standing because they aren’t plagued with the guilt of privilege that they’re seeking to launder through Middle East role plays of feigned suffering. This is as first world dystopia as it gets.

Meanwhile, these Ivy League students who can have much more than a glass of water and as much food as their stomachs can take are commanding the attention of the media and the entire American audience, while actual Gazans who need humanitarian aid are ignored. I still have to pinch myself that people don’t see this.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2

Are they ALL wearing the same scarf or did it just so happen that the girl at the mic and the dude behind her both had the same scarf?  

These are the questions that need answers!  I would have so many questions for those people!

• TBH 2
13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Are they ALL wearing the same scarf or did it just so happen that the girl at the mic and the dude behind her both had the same scarf?  

These are the questions that need answers!  I would have so many questions for those people!

It's been a symbol of Palestine for a long time. Arafat famously wore won on his head.

43 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It's been a symbol of Palestine for a long time. Arafat famously wore won on his head.

Oh yeah!  Totally forgot about that.

The guy is the back wears it better than the girl at the mic.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, funhusker said:

I haven’t followed closely.  It’s my fault.  

I assumed you were defending these idiots “protesting” on the campuses and shutting down learning only to promote antisemitism.

No worries, I'm making an orthogonal point, which is easy to misunderstand. Admitting fault on a message board is impressive, so kudos to you, sir.