Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

6 hours ago, Swiv3D said:

Eh the playbook is expanding from last year, the D is getting better depth, and theres a lot of new young guys on offense. Defense is supposed to be beating the offense this time of year

Yep.

It’s a zero sum game. If that defense is going to make the jump it needs to make, we have to have days with reports like this. Offenses ultimately get stopped because they make mistakes the defense can capitalize on. Not only does this offense have a lot of young guys, as mentioned, but this staff is putting them to the test. If they can’t cut it...well, we know what happens.

Honestly, this is about the best news we could hear, even if the offensive guys don’t like it. 

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, MNBigRedNorth said:

Brian Christopherson over on 247 quoted Noah Vedral as saying Cameron Jurgens is "a freak of nature" with his athleticism and it shows on some zone blocking schemes how quickly Jurgens can get out and get on people.   That right there tells me that Frost and his staff know where they want guys and that this scheme is going to be super fast with fast players across the board!

It’s a great advantage having a center that can pull because most can’t. We use a lot of pulling lineman, whether that be center, guard or tackle for a few reasons. One, they function like a FB, but out of 1 back. Best of both worlds. Two, this offense at its fundamental core is about putting the defense in a conflict. With all of this speed, especially pass catchers out of the backfield, teams want to use more DBs. OK, fine. But that means they’re now force players in the run game and they don’t want to take on a big offensive lineman. Three, pulling lineman require an immediate response, which opens up a lot of opportunities for misdirection. Frost loves to marry pulling action with backside screens, for example.

We are recruiting guys with length and guys that can move because it’s a huge element of this offense.

• Plus1 5

4 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Hear what your saying, however if our O-line and D-line dominate we will be competing in that same big 10 championship game.  I feel the biggest benefit of the WR's and RB's is that we will see less wear and tear on the QB

Adrian ran more than we want, but it’s not like it was short side option every other play. He should see his carries diminish slightly with more threats on the field, but the biggest benefit of those groups is all of the big plays they generate. 

We force defenses to account for the QB, but gameplan for five other threats. Everything in this offense is generated by those guys, the QB is just the beneficiary of that.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
5 hours ago, brophog said:

It’s a great advantage having a center that can pull because most can’t. We use a lot of pulling lineman, whether that be center, guard or tackle for a few reasons. One, they function like a FB, but out of 1 back. Best of both worlds. Two, this offense at its fundamental core is about putting the defense in a conflict. With all of this speed, especially pass catchers out of the backfield, teams want to use more DBs. OK, fine. But that means they’re now force players in the run game and they don’t want to take on a big offensive lineman. Three, pulling lineman require an immediate response, which opens up a lot of opportunities for misdirection. Frost loves to marry pulling action with backside screens, for example.

We are recruiting guys with length and guys that can move because it’s a huge element of this offense.

I will add that pulling also creates great angles for the pullers to block the opponent!

• Plus1 1

Here are the high school stats for Belt. 250 carries for 3000 yards and 55 touchdowns. Thats his Jr. and Sr. years combined. He played basketball and baseball also. He only attended one football camp after his junior year and that was Nebraskas Friday night lights camp. Had he decided to attend more camps he may have recieved more D1 offers who knows? https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7896122/5a01e62dbee1971da0c43950

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, brophog said:

Yep.

It’s a zero sum game. If that defense is going to make the jump it needs to make, we have to have days with reports like this. Offenses ultimately get stopped because they make mistakes the defense can capitalize on. Not only does this offense have a lot of young guys, as mentioned, but this staff is putting them to the test. If they can’t cut it...well, we know what happens.

Honestly, this is about the best news we could hear, even if the offensive guys don’t like it. 

And, I look at it as a positive from the other direction.  To be honest, I only see this as a positive for the offense because I have such faith in our offensive coaches.  But, the only way our offense is going to get better is if they go against a good defense in practice.  Make the offense earn everything and the games will be easier.

If this were the end of august, I would possibly have some worries.  It's not.  

• Plus1 1

By JoeSakic2019:   Here are the high school stats for Belt. 250 carries for 3000 yards and 55 touchdowns. Thats his Jr. and Sr. years combined. He played basketball and baseball also. He only attended one football camp after his junior year and that was Nebraskas Friday night lights camp. Had he decided to attend more camps he may have recieved more D1 offers who knows? https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7896122/5a01e62dbee1971da0c43950

I wonder what Belt's 40 time is?  He does have a great first step and usually makes the first man miss with some good wiggle!  I had no idea this guy was even on the team.  If he is a producer down the road, looks like a good find, even if it's only for depth!

10 hours ago, MNBigRedNorth said:

By JoeSakic2019:   Here are the high school stats for Belt. 250 carries for 3000 yards and 55 touchdowns. Thats his Jr. and Sr. years combined. He played basketball and baseball also. He only attended one football camp after his junior year and that was Nebraskas Friday night lights camp. Had he decided to attend more camps he may have recieved more D1 offers who knows? https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7896122/5a01e62dbee1971da0c43950

I wonder what Belt's 40 time is?  He does have a great first step and usually makes the first man miss with some good wiggle!  I had no idea this guy was even on the team.  If he is a producer down the road, looks like a good find, even if it's only for depth!

4.48 according to his hudl “about” section.  

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7896122/Brody-Belt/about

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Good point - I thought about putting that as a caveat but thought it was pretty well understood by now that reported 40 times are rarely accurate.

Oh i get the HS 40 time completely.  But after a year in our strength and conditioning program, I would expect his 40 time to be much better.

• Plus1 1