911: Who has called it and why?

1) Somebody ransacked my car and the neighbors car - they broke the neighbor's company car window (which woke up both of us in the duplex) and since I don't lock my doors all they did was open up the doors and look for stuff.  I also never leave anything in my car.

2) Pretty much the same deal - drove to an elementary school to walk my dog at night and while I was gone somebody in a pickup truck ransacked my car (saw them 1/2 block away).  This time they took my garage door opener and some papers WITH MY ADDRESS ON IT.  I drove really fast back home and chained my garage door shut.

3) Walking my dog, from home this time, and the neighbor's pit bull got loose and attacked us.  First time I was ever in court. (Maybe a new thread)

I don't walk my dog anymore

1 hour ago, huKSer said:

1) Somebody ransacked my car and the neighbors car - they broke the neighbor's company car window (which woke up both of us in the duplex) and since I don't lock my doors all they did was open up the doors and look for stuff.  I also never leave anything in my car.

Why the hell don’t you lock your doors? 

At a prior job you had to press 9 to dial out and the 1 was real sticky on everyones' phones. I worked there about 18 months and I think the cops came about 10 times. I did it two days in a row once.

I did not realize you should report drunk drivers with 911 though. Makes sense.

I had a Jeep Wrangler with a soft top and I never locked my doors...I didn't want it getting sliced open.  Of course one night after ahem..."making love" to a girl who had just "broken up" with her now hubby, I woke up and she said he had tried calling her 18 times...of course she was busy (wink)...I went to my Jeep to take her home and what a shocker...the totally unlocked jeep had a huge slice in the soft top...with nothing taken at all.

Also, the calling on a drunk driver...I mean...I don't know about that.  I am guess 99% of the people you think are drunk or probably just distracted for a second or two.  Unless it is super obvious but I have been driving for a long a$$ time and I can think of maybe 3 times where I saw someone driving and thought "Yep...that dude is hammered"

28 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Why? If there's nothing worth stealing in the car, then I'd rather they just go through it without breaking a window.

Most thieves are cowardly opportunists, if they encounter a locked door, they move on. Not always, but mostly.

And the insurance deductible argument is silly. Insurance = risk management. No risk manager would advise you to keep your doors unlocked. 

But it if you feel safer with unlocked doors, more power to ya.

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

I had a Jeep Wrangler with a soft top and I never locked my doors...I didn't want it getting sliced open.  Of course one night after ahem..."making love" to a girl who had just "broken up" with her now hubby, I woke up and she said he had tried calling her 18 times...of course she was busy (wink)...I went to my Jeep to take her home and what a shocker...the totally unlocked jeep had a huge slice in the soft top...with nothing taken at all.

Also, the calling on a drunk driver...I mean...I don't know about that.  I am guess 99% of the people you think are drunk or probably just distracted for a second or two.  Unless it is super obvious but I have been driving for a long a$$ time and I can think of maybe 3 times where I saw someone driving and thought "Yep...that dude is hammered"

I don't know about the others that reported drunk drivers but there's really no question when they're repeatedly going off both shoulders, hit a railing and the concrete barrier twice. Pretty sure it was much more than momentarily distracted. 

Lately I've noticed quite a few stoned drivers (oh yeah, you can tell) but they're usually driving so slow they aren't going to cause much of a problem...unless a drunk driver rear ends them and that's just karma.

• Fire 1

Wow - I am an outlier here.  I think I probably call 911 5+ times a year.  I do spend a lot of time on the road, so much of it is accident reports (when it's not safe to stop), loose dogs on highways, but have also reporter domestic violence, fire alarms going off in an empty house, drunk drivers, smouldering fires ... last time was about 2 weeks ago when I saw road rage play out on a major Boston highway - guy getting out of his car to confront another guy. 

I always feel weird about it, but ultimately decide I'd rather be cautious - I have nightmares about the Kitty Genovese situation.  

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, Ulty said:

Most thieves are cowardly opportunists, if they encounter a locked door, they move on. Not always, but mostly.

And the insurance deductible argument is silly. Insurance = risk management. No risk manager would advise you to keep your doors unlocked. 

But it if you feel safer with unlocked doors, more power to ya.

So let me get this straight: a risk manager would tell me to lock my car doors even though there's no risk to leaving them unlocked but there is a risk of getting a window broken if I lock the car?

There's literally nothing in the car worth anything. I mean, thieves are welcome to take as many of my $2 sun glasses as they want.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:04 PM, teachercd said:

You aren't supposed to use quotation marks if you're going to blatantly describe what happened.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:25 PM, huKSer said:

2) Pretty much the same deal - drove to an elementary school to walk my dog at night and while I was gone somebody in a pickup truck ransacked my car (saw them 1/2 block away).  This time they took my garage door opener and some papers WITH MY ADDRESS ON IT.  I drove really fast back home and chained my garage door shut.

3) Walking my dog, from home this time, and the neighbor's pit bull got loose and attacked us.  First time I was ever in court. (Maybe a new thread)

I don't walk my dog anymore

I'm interested in the pit bull story. Did you try to drop kick it? 

• Haha 1

The pit bull lives with a family with 3 rowdy boys and I could hear them as I was coming down the street on the opposite side from their house.  Just as I get across from the house one of the kids bursts out of the front door at a full run. Before the storm door can close out comes the VERY excited dog and once it notices us he comes for us.  My dog barks and growls in defense but is no match for the much bigger dog.  I do try to kick the dog so then he bites me in the leg.  He is now firmly attached to my dog's tail and he is limp. The dog's owner pull her dog off and I scoop and run.