Trump's Fake Wall Emergency

5 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

If anyone actually wanted to “fix “ this  problem there are better ways than a wall . Hispanic immigrants are here because big business wants cheap exploitable labor , and Hispanics want a better life . There are an estimated 10-12 million illegals in this country already and actual border crossing attempts ate at an all time low . Fine the living hell out of companies who willing hire illegals, and make everyone provide proper ID to get a job/ housing and the problem will solve itself . If illegals can’t come here and get jobs/housing etc with reiative ease they will go home / stay home all on their own . As long as that’s the case they will come ( I would too ) wall or not !!! 

I can get on board with fines for companies who purposefully employ illegals, especially since a lot of them are predatory and take advantage of their employees' illegal status.

What I think we really need to be doing is investing in these countries, helping them build infrastructure, industry, making a better way of life, safer, lower crime... etc. Build those countries up and make their people happy to be there, wanting to stay. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

It's probably a case-by-case thing. My neighbor has been in America for 30+ years, but barely speaks English. His wife speaks no English at all - but she doesn't work. Neither of them seem too interested in assimilating much into American culture. They're great neighbors, keep their house tidy & always friendly.  Their daughters are 110% Americans, but the parents... not so much.

Are they here illegally?  If not....

Image result for cmon man

7 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

If anyone actually wanted to “fix “ this  problem there are better ways than a wall . Hispanic immigrants are here because big business wants cheap exploitable labor , and Hispanics want a better life . There are an estimated 10-12 million illegals in this country already and actual border crossing attempts ate at an all time low . Fine the living hell out of companies who willing hire illegals, and make everyone provide proper ID to get a job/ housing and the problem will solve itself . If illegals can’t come here and get jobs/housing etc with reiative ease they will go home / stay home all on their own . As long as that’s the case they will come ( I would too ) wall or not !!! 

Deportations rose during Obama and illegal immigration dropped continuously. 

As an employee, I’m required to check every applicant for citizenship. If not, it’s big problems for me. 

I fail to see how your ideas differ from what has been building over the last 10+ years. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Other than learning English, what exactly does this mean?

They are Vietnamese. They celebrate Vietnamese holidays, they speak Vietnamese in their daily conversations with each other, all their friends are Vietnamese. 

This causes me zero hardship and isn't a problem, so don't get me wrong. It's just to say that assimilation is a two-way street, and these guys don't want to.  They're great neighbors, so don't think I'm saying anything bad about them.  They just have no interest in being American like me. Their kids do, though. And that's how it goes with immigrants a lot of times, I think.

I've asked this before, I think I even started a thread.  What is American culture?

Country Music, rap music, gospel music?

Hotdogs, pizza, fast food, or health food?

Guns or no guns?

christian, muslim, jew, or hindu?

jeans or sweatpants, t-shirt or button downs?

Or maybe, it's just the fact we all love living in a free society where we can be who we want to be without the fear of retribution?

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They are Vietnamese. They celebrate Vietnamese holidays, they speak Vietnamese in their daily conversations with each other, all their friends are Vietnamese. 

This causes me zero hardship and isn't a problem, so don't get me wrong. It's just to say that assimilation is a two-way street, and these guys don't want to.  They're great neighbors, so don't think I'm saying anything bad about them.  They just have no interest in being American like me. Their kids do, though. And that's how it goes with immigrants a lot of times, I think.

How is this different than when the Germans settled in central Nebraska in their own communities, stuck together and still celebrate their German heritage?

italians in NYC or Chicago?

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

How is this different than when the Germans settled in central Nebraska in their own communities, stuck together and still celebrate their German heritage?

I don't think we can say that all Germans were 100% gung-ho to become Americans. I think there were those in that group who were, and those who wanted to stay who they were but live here.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's not...

Heartland Schools in Hendersen, I believe, still hosts a smorgasbord where people bring in German food and celebrate their German ancestry.  They have a cool park/museum devoted to the Mennonites that traveled there.  Church services were still in German around 40 years ago...  

At the same time, it is a picture of "Americana".  Hanging on to traditions and language in no way keeps a person from being American.

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Deportations rose during Obama and illegal immigration dropped continuously. 

As an employee, I’m required to check every applicant for citizenship. If not, it’s big problems for me. 

I fail to see how your ideas differ from what has been building over the last 10+ years. 

The wall proves nothing . As long as desperate people need jobs/housing and employers will hire them regardless of  legal status they come wall or not.  Nobody has actually seriously addressed those issues so the problem won’t be fixed 

Another anecdote: my kids have a girl in their class who was born in Brazil.  She speaks perfect English for a 9 year old, and her mother speaks somewhat broken English with a very thick accent (I've never met the father).  However, the children are only allowed to speak Portuguese in the home.  Not because English is bad, but because the family doesn't want their children to lose parts of their heritage that makes them unique.

• Plus1 1

Obama was notoriously tough on illegal immigrants, at least according to the illegal immigrants themselves, and the Democrats in congress have long allocated billions for increased border security. Meanwhile, many otherwise conservative Republicans have been oddly quiet on the issue, as many highly profitable American industries are reliant on undocumented workers. So there's not a useful scorecard on who has been tough, how it has been successful and what is actually at risk.

But a 2,000 mile border wall is both a terrible business proposition and the kind of Big Government over-reach (and cost over-run) conservatives used to decry. The situation is by no measure an emergency, and Donald Trump is "sticking to his guns" two years after getting into office, having lost his Congressional majority, and being told he needs to deliver something to his restless base, having already failed to save America from affordable health care. 

• Plus1 5
21 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

The wall proves nothing . As long as desperate people need jobs/housing and employers will hire them regardless of  legal status they come wall or not.  Nobody has actually seriously addressed those issues so the problem won’t be fixed 

I was agreeing with you but pointing out that that was already happening under Obama. 

One point that needs to be stressed was mentioned earlier. If we would invest in these countries like we are countries half way around the world, it would greatly help. 

Part of the deportations during obama was violent gang members (even though Trump has made up this mantra that democrats want to keep them here) ...well....that deported that violence to countries like Honduras. Now, we have families fleeing that violence and coming here.....first, that’s a fairly good swap.  But, If we don’t want the families either, help Honduras fight the violence. 

34 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

As far as assimilation many would rather not . They can live in trailer parks / neighborhoods where they don’t have to speak English or recognize our culture / traditions . They aren’t planning on staying here anyway . 

Wrong. 

And,  god forbid people would want to live around others they relate to. 

I guess the Swedes that settles around Gothenburg are horrible Americans. They even have their school mascot named after them. 

• Plus1 3