Trump's Fake Wall Emergency

8 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Congress will never make a decision on anything now.  They don't want to offend anyone.  There are times I wish DT would be a bit more presidential but that isn't his style.....and frankly it is REFRESHING.

Wait.....

its refreshing that the President totally makes things up. 

And acts like a grade schooler making up childish names for people who disagree with him. 

• Plus1 4

13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Have you considered that such a barrier is not possible? Desperate people will do desperate things. Plus, walls haven't been effective for keeping people out for centuries. Even pregnant women have been able to scale the border wall just a few months ago.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/borders-and-walls-do-barriers-deter-unauthorized-migration

Pregnant Migrant Woman Gives Birth on U.S. Soil 24 Hours After Climbing Border Wall

Test of steel prototype for border wall showed it could be sawed through

(emphasis mine)

http://hir.harvard.edu/article/?a=14542

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wait.....

its refreshing that the President totally makes things up. 

And acts like a grade schooler making up childish names for people who disagree with him. 

Refreshing in knowing what needs to get done and won't let a Congress with no balls dissuade him from getting it done.  

1 minute ago, TonyStalloni said:

Refreshing in knowing what needs to get done and won't let a Congress with no balls dissuade him from getting it done.  

Violating the Constitution in trying to claim legislative power that is given to Congress and not the President sure is refreshing.

Plus he's trying to claim power for one of the dumbest, least effective things that he could do as I showed in the post you've quoted.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Violating the Constitution in trying to claim legislative power that is given to Congress and not the President sure is refreshing.

Plus he's trying to claim power for one of the dumbest, least effective things that he could do as I showed in the post you've quoted.

And I showed you in the bolded red entry under your post that you are wrong.

3 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

And I showed you in the bolded red entry under your post that you are wrong.

You should actually read the article you linked as it supports my conclusions. Here's the conclusion:

If the US immigration system were more streamlined, and the process of applying for a work visa or permanent residency was quicker and easier, then illegal immigration would not be as great a problem, since these immigrants would have no reason to try to cross illegally. Regardless, the wall alone would not be an effective solution; effective legislation, whatever that may entail, must accompany it.

In the end, the wall would be very expensive, a larger project than the walls of all three countries in this analysis combined. In addition, if the government were to enact all of these suggestions to increase the effectiveness of the wall, the price would increase to an exorbitant level. The potential loss of life due to more dangerous migration routes must also not be ignored, and the United States must decide whether this loss of life is worth a reduction in illegal immigration. Perhaps the government should try legislative solutions before building the wall, as this would be far less costly and would not result in an increase in mortality. Immigration reform—whether aimed at making work in the United States less desirable to potential immigrants, or aimed at making work in the United States easier—would prove to be a far more levelheaded first measure than the construction of a continent-wide wall.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Learning a new language when you’re older is harder and not everyone has the ability to do it. 

My opinion is that most of the “won’t assimilate” mantra is a bunch of BS made up for political reasons. 

Very seldom do you find anyone who doesn’t learn some English. 

I would generally agree with this but I do know a few who have made no effort, even after being here 10-20 years. My daughter dated the son of two people, neither of which spoke any English after being here 17 years.  Another girl she played volleyball with spoke it like a US born person with no accent but her mother couldn't speak a lick. The daughter also spoke Spanish like a pro. They'd only been here a bout 6 years. There are a few others my daughter went to school with and for those kids it was Spanish at home and English the rest of the time. I've run into many other adults who don't speak English but I have no idea how long most of them have been here. I make no judgements about it. The people I've mentioned specifically we're very nice and good parents to my knowledge. And the volleyball players mother could cook. Loved it when the team had a potluck she contributed to.

21 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I would generally agree with this but I do know a few who have made no effort, even after being here 10-20 years. My daughter dated the son of two people, neither of which spoke any English after being here 17 years.  Another girl she played volleyball with spoke it like a US born person with no accent but her mother couldn't speak a lick. The daughter also spoke Spanish like a pro. They'd only been here a bout 6 years. There are a few others my daughter went to school with and for those kids it was Spanish at home and English the rest of the time. I've run into many other adults who don't speak English but I have no idea how long most of them have been here. I make no judgements about it. The people I've mentioned specifically we're very nice and good parents to my knowledge. And the volleyball players mother could cook. Loved it when the team had a potluck she contributed to.

The propaganda around this issue blows it up way more than it is.....for political gain. 

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The propaganda around this issue blows it up way more than it is.....for political gain. 

I guess I'm not very aware of what propaganda may be taking place. I stopped watching almost all news a few years ago. I'm much happier. I guess ignorance is bliss.

2 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

Just don't complain when the next Democratic president uses the same process to actually come for people's guns or make sweeping reforms to our environmental policies or usher in universal healthcare....

If you're going to applaud the president ramming ideas down everyone's throats you'll have to be even-handed about it.

• Plus1 3

11 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

Congress will never make a decision on anything now.  They don't want to offend anyone.  There are times I wish DT would be a bit more presidential but that isn't his style.....and frankly it is REFRESHING.

This is asinine.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

If anyone actually wanted to “fix “ this  problem there are better ways than a wall . Hispanic immigrants are here because big business wants cheap exploitable labor , and Hispanics want a better life . There are an estimated 10-12 million illegals in this country already and actual border crossing attempts ate at an all time low . Fine the living hell out of companies who willing hire illegals, and make everyone provide proper ID to get a job/ housing and the problem will solve itself . If illegals can’t come here and get jobs/housing etc with reiative ease they will go home / stay home all on their own . As long as that’s the case they will come ( I would too ) wall or not !!! 

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

My opinion is that most of the “won’t assimilate” mantra is a bunch of BS made up for political reasons. 

It's probably a case-by-case thing. My neighbor has been in America for 30+ years, but barely speaks English. His wife speaks no English at all - but she doesn't work. Neither of them seem too interested in assimilating much into American culture. They're great neighbors, keep their house tidy & always friendly.  Their daughters are 110% Americans, but the parents... not so much.