Republican Anti-Democracy and Voter Disenfranchisement

https://www.theroot.com/exclusive-thousands-of-black-votes-in-georgia-disappea-1832472558

Thought I’d start with this example which made me sick to my stomach when I read it this morning. 

There was a large undervote for Lt. Governor in Georgia (as a reminder, that’s where the GOP candidate got to run his own election), and where the DNC Governor candidate was Black.

The undervote consistently happened on Black voter ballots, and it wasn’t just in areas with lots of Democrats. It happened in Black neighborhoods in conservative districts as well.

The extreme undervote issue occurred at statistically significant levels in 101 of Georgia’s 159 counties. However, the undervotes on voting machines are concentrated in precincts where African American voters make up the majority of the precincts’ registered voters. The rates of touchscreen machine–reported undervotes in such precincts in the Lt. Governor contest are far greater than the undervote rates in non–African American neighborhoods regardless of whether those neighborhoods lean Democratic or Republican. The undervote problem did not happen at the same exaggerated levels in many primarily White neighborhoods that overwhelmingly voted for Stacey Abrams and other Democrats, rebutting the argument that the difference can be explained by party-driven voter behavior.

The largest overall drop off rate in Georgia for Lt. Governor was 1.2%. Until 2018, when it was 4%. And it can’t be explained by dislike of the candidate because the mail in ballots (including by Black voters) did not have the same tendency. 

Oh, and the machines Georgia uses are unauditable.

And finally,

“The disparity in undervote rates by voting technology strongly suggests that malfunction, misconfiguration, bugs, hacking, or other error or malfeasance caused some DREs [direct recording electronic voting machines] not to record votes in the lieutenant governor’s contest,” Stark explained, according to court documents.

From another article. Maybe he knew the vote tampering wasn’t done by Russians?

In 2016, after the state’s servers were compromised, Kemp was the only secretary of state to refuse help from the federal government to see if Russians had hacked the servers.

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/kemp-and-an-unauditable-voting-system-meet-abrams-and-the-people-of-georgia/

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, commando said:

i remember NDJoe saying that people shouldn't be able to vote by mail if they can't wait in line for 30 minutes to vote

I have seen several references that being in line for multiple hours to vote doesn't generally indicate wanting to vote for the status quo.

• 2 weeks later...