Republican Anti-Democracy and Voter Disenfranchisement

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't speak for any Republicans.  I'm not one anymore.

Someone can be very smart and still an idiot.  Rand Paul falls into that catagory.

Yet you are clear in telling us what Republicans think and what they want and don’t want.  Every Republican I speak with wants anyone who is eligible to vote, to do so if they choose.  They would prefer people vote for the non Democrat candidate, but that’s beside the point in question. 

mindset of Republicans.

They don't want people who typically don't vote, to vote.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Archy1221 said:

Yet you are clear in telling us what Republicans think and what they want and don’t want.  Every Republican I speak with wants anyone who is eligible to vote, to do so if they choose.  They would prefer people vote for the non Democrat candidate, but that’s beside the point in question. 

mindset of Republicans.

They don't want people who typically don't vote, to vote.

Hey....I'm just going off of the actions from the people they vote for.

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Asking for people to follow the laws of the state now means Republicans don’t want people to legally vote.  Interesting logic I guess.  

some states changed voting laws to allow more mail in voting.  they changed them to more closely follow the laws other states had been using successfully for a while now.   that pissed off the republicans.   the voters were following the state law but trump and his sycophants hate that those people followed the new rules.   

• Plus1 3
32 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Rand Paul may be a variety of things, but he is no idiot. 

Rand Paul is a variety of things (mostly unpleasant) AND he is an idiot. 

He is a homophobe. He tested positive for Covid and continued to walk around amongst colleagues early in this pandemic. He was the only one who voted against the Covid relief bill. He voted against 9/11 victim relief. He said he would not have voted for the Civil Rights Act. He is an anti-vaxxer. During the impeachment hearing, he tried to out the whistleblower. He has been such a clown about Covid that Fauci had to publicly put him in his place during a senate hearing. And he had a Lindsey Graham-ish change of heart about Trump criticizing him during 2016 but fellating him during his presidency. 

I'm sure I'm missing a few other nuggets of Rand Paul's douchebaggery, but sheesh.

And denying what he said about not wanting more people to vote? In that very clip he is participating in an interview that continues to propogate disinformation about a stolen election. Just look at his words, and compare it to the GOP position on voting during the entire campaign season. One act of voter suppression after another, with several outright examples of GOP members (including Trump himself) admitting that if more people voted the GOP would never win? 

Yes, he is an idiot, and a shameless jacka$$.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Rand Paul is a variety of things (mostly unpleasant) AND he is an idiot. 

He is a homophobe. He tested positive for Covid and continued to walk around amongst colleagues early in this pandemic. He was the only one who voted against the Covid relief bill. He voted against 9/11 victim relief. He said he would not have voted for the Civil Rights Act. He is an anti-vaxxer. During the impeachment hearing, he tried to out the whistleblower. He has been such a clown about Covid that Fauci had to publicly put him in his place during a senate hearing. And he had a Lindsey Graham-ish change of heart about Trump criticizing him during 2016 but fellating him during his presidency. 

I'm sure I'm missing a few other nuggets of Rand Paul's douchebaggery, but sheesh.

And denying what he said about not wanting more people to vote? In that very clip he is participating in an interview that continues to propogate disinformation about a stolen election. Just look at his words, and compare it to the GOP position on voting during the entire campaign season. One act of voter suppression after another, with several outright examples of GOP members (including Trump himself) admitting that if more people voted the GOP would never win? 

Yes, he is an idiot, and a shameless jacka$$.

And he voted against all of the aforementioned bills because........of course you don’t include that information.  Doesn’t fit your false narrative.  You act as if he is against the main points of some of the bills he votes against. 

From KHN.com

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said Tuesday the government should not force parents to vaccinate their children. "I believe that the benefits of vaccines greatly outweigh the risks, but I still do not favor giving up on liberty for a false sense of security," Paul said during a Senate hearing focused on the rise in preventable disease outbreaks. (Hellmann, 3/5)

Rand Paul is a pretty strict Libertarian.  Please read up on what an AntiVaxxer is.  Your post insults your intelligence and you seem like a smart person.  

Fauci ended up agreeing with Rand about schools being open not more than a month or two later.  Fauci is the one who ended up looking not so correct.  

Any evidence you want to cite about Rand being homophobic or just more opinion designed to look like fact.  

Just cause you don’t like the guy doesn’t mean you need to be disingenuous.  

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Any evidence you want to cite about Rand being homophobic or just more opinion designed to look like fact.  

https://www.hrc.org/resources/2016republicanfacts-rand-paul

As a candidate in 2010, Paul said he was committed to supporting a constitutional amendment that would define marriage as between one man and one woman. 

As a candidate, Paul completed a Christian Coalition voter guide saying he was committed to fighting against efforts to make sexual orientation a protected class. 

Paul joked that President Obama’s views on marriage couldn’t “get any gayer” and then suggested that marriage equality would lead to people marrying non-human objects.

• Plus1 5
14 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

How is defining marriage between a man and a woman homophobic?  Here’s his views so no one is confused.  

https://www.ontheissues.org/Domestic/Rand_Paul_Civil_Rights.htm

Pay close attention to the marriage and Protections piece

Unbelievable that this conversation would still be occurring in 2020...but advocating for discrimination against homosexuals is in fact homophobic. And it certainly is not a libertarian view. It is a bigoted view.

Now, if you want to engage in a lost argument about "redefining marriage" and invoking religious freedoms for the purpose of discrimination there are other threads for that. I know the GOP has so many horrific principles and practices that it is hard to keep them siloed in different conversations, but let's try to keep the board organized. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

I know voter suppression is the Republican game plan now, but it's not suuuuuuper popular with businesses who have to rely on the good graces of ALL the customers out there.

States that suppress votes are going to lose business. It's that simple. Corporations can't afford to be viewed as being OK with this kind of thing. 

• Plus1 3

I love how the Delta CEO didn’t comment on any specific portion of the bill that he finds so offensive.   Most likely he didn’t even read the bill but wants to be woke and side with all the other wokesters like China Joe who missrepresent the bill on purpose or out of ignorance.   

• Plus1 3