2019 playmakers

Who do you thinks steps up this season?

AMart - I really want to see him take more shots downfield (Other than JD there wasnt anyone who could consistently get open so i dont completely blame him)

Backfield - Is there a guy on the roster ready to be the man this year? Or at least the development of depth

Wideout - JD and who?

Tight End - Legrone bulked up last year I think hell be our best guy here pretty soon

O line - These guys scare me with every Amart dropback

D Line - Loaded but can anyone create more QB pressure? i think the depth with help us be stronger against the run. 

Linebacker -  Mo Barry is a machine. Caleb Tannor's could be the edge rusher weve been needing i hope this is the year his development kicks in. 

Secondary - Having upperclassmen at corner to match the D line depth will be huge. Adding Cam Taylor and Braxton Clark into the mix hopefully allows us to matchup a little better against spread teams. Safety position is concerning but with everything in front of these guys having some stability this is probably the best case scenario to break in a new tandem. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Hoping that someone besides Barry can step up and be that other play maker that this D so desperately is going to need.  Going to miss Luke Gifford that's for sure.  On O if Washington can get past his legal hurdle then I can see him filling a play maker role on offense definitely.

I think one of the exciting parts of this season will be to see who actually steps up and fills roles like this in year 2 of Scott Frost's offense.  Being able to make plays when it counts.  It's gonna be fun.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

D Line - Loaded but can anyone create more QB pressure? i think the depth with help us be stronger against the run. 

Stopping the run, the mantra of this unit this offseason, will help create more pressure. To get pressure, you need to create opportunities to create pressure. If it’s catch, step, throw....you just don’t have the time to get there. 

Nebraska last year gave up an average of 5.63 yards per rush on first down. Compare to Cal (where Tuioti is from) giving up 3.43 and UCF 2017 giving up 3.78. If an offense has 2nd and 5 or less, they can do anything in the playbook. If it’s 2nd and long, though, that playbook shrinks immensely. Most offenses won’t run it on 2nd down in they didn’t have success on 1st down, and some OC’s become so predictable at this down and distance that you can practically smell the screens and draws coming.

30 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

Safety position is concerning but with everything in front of these guys having some stability this is probably the best case scenario to break in a new tandem. 

I actually think Safety will be a reason this defense improves. Better playmakers and better coverage skills that we had a year ago.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, brophog said:

I actually think Safety will be a reason this defense improves. Better playmakers and better coverage skills that we had a year ago.

I agree with that we were saved by experience (Tre neal) and some big play ability (Antonio Reed) but those guys were pretty limited and i wont miss aaron williams at all

10 minutes ago, brophog said:

I agree - Deontai, Jojo, and Dismuke are all better athletes that we had a year ago, they just need to grasp the defense as well as someone like Tre Neal did.

I think we've got defensive playmakers in Barry, Domann, and Williams but someone stepping up OLB and/or DL would go a long way toward making this defense decent. I really hope the Alex Davis hype is real - he's one of those guys with plenty of talent, just needs to put it together. If I remember right he didn't play football until his senior year of high school, so the slow development (not helped by a year with Diaco) is understandable. I'd even take a Peyton Newell type impact, everyone had written him off and he contributed as a RS Senior. Hoping for more though, I just don't think Domann and Ferguson can consistently beat Tackles one on one without it being a blitz.

1 hour ago, huskerfan702 said:

AMart - I really want to see him take more shots downfield (Other than JD there wasnt anyone who could consistently get open so i dont completely blame him)

Backfield - Is there a guy on the roster ready to be the man this year? Or at least the development of depth

Wideout - JD and who?

Tight End - Legrone bulked up last year I think hell be our best guy here pretty soon

O line - These guys scare me with every Amart dropback

D Line - Loaded but can anyone create more QB pressure? i think the depth with help us be stronger against the run. 

Linebacker -  Mo Barry is a machine. Caleb Tannor's could be the edge rusher weve been needing i hope this is the year his development kicks in. 

Secondary - Having upperclassmen at corner to match the D line depth will be huge. Adding Cam Taylor and Braxton Clark into the mix hopefully allows us to matchup a little better against spread teams. Safety position is concerning but with everything in front of these guys having some stability this is probably the best case scenario to break in a new tandem. 

Sounds like a lot of your concerns are due to lack of experience and playing time at various positions.   Sometimes, especially during a rebuild,  getting new guys in who haven't played under old staffs is a good thing.

22 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Sounds like a lot of your concerns are due to lack of experience and playing time at various positions.   Sometimes, especially during a rebuild,  getting new guys in who haven't played under old staffs is a good thing.

1 hour ago, huskerfan702 said:

Yes... "who do you thinks steps up"

from the sounds of things the team is buying in more than what existed under the previous staff so i do expect work ethic and discipline to be passed down to younger players. I mean just look at last years team which was Rileys roster... not a single pro senior and they fought hard to close out a season that was "over" halfway through. I trust SF in the culture department but the only question is who steps up and becomes a playmaker

6 hours ago, huskerfan702 said:

Yes... "who do you thinks steps up"

from the sounds of things the team is buying in more than what existed under the previous staff so i do expect work ethic and discipline to be passed down to younger players. I mean just look at last years team which was Rileys roster... not a single pro senior and they fought hard to close out a season that was "over" halfway through. I trust SF in the culture department but the only question is who steps up and becomes a playmaker

On offense I think there are a lot of guys who will like Robinson, Hunt, Warner, Allen, Legrone. 

On Defense I expect big things from Taylor,  Domann, Williams, Tannor and the line as a whole. The strength of the defense should be that d line.

I think WR is the most unknown as we have so many kids who aren't proven but could breakout (and need to). JD and Wandale will be fine...

Noa - He isn't talked about enough. He will make some key catches this year for us 

Woodyard - I think we see more of Woodyard as he has the speed to make some big plays 

Williams - Showed a few flashes last season 

Hunt - His name has come up more this off season as having a role 

Warner - He has good hands, but lacks the athleticism at this point. Good blocker on the outsides 

McQuitty - Name has faded a lot since he arrived on campus 

Jones - The position change from HS is taking more time than coaches thought. Kid has play making ability if he can get it right 

Nance - I think he starts for us in 20' and contributes some this year. He came in real light and off an injury

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

I think WR is the most unknown as we have so many kids who aren't proven but could breakout (and need to). JD and Wandale will be fine...

Noa - He isn't talked about enough. He will make some key catches this year for us 

Woodyard - I think we see more of Woodyard as he has the speed to make some big plays 

Williams - Showed a few flashes last season 

Hunt - His name has come up more this off season as having a role 

Warner - He has good hands, but lacks the athleticism at this point. Good blocker on the outsides 

McQuitty - Name has faded a lot since he arrived on campus 

Jones - The position change from HS is taking more time than coaches thought. Kid has play making ability if he can get it right 

Nance - I think he starts for us in 20' and contributes some this year. He came in real light and off an injury

Noa is a DB

• Haha 1