What does a realistic successful season look like this year?

30 minutes ago, lo country said:

In Sips artcile he has us going 8-4.  Losses to NW, Minnie, Purdue and Maryland....Frost saying some good things about practice and this season.  Seeing TE make plays they missed last year, OL same thing....Rest of article here.

Thoughts if those are our 4 losses? Be crazy IMHO.  Beating OSU, Wisky and Iowa and still drop 4....

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-frost-s-unyielding-calm-belies-what-could/article_ac8748b3-dce9-5122-a410-b3e054c48f93.amp.html

I'll go out on a limb here with a real flyer and state as a matter of fact, if we go 8-4 those will not be the 4 losses :lol: What in the world was Sip sipping when he came up with that?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I'll go out on a limb here with a real flyer and state as a matter of fact, if we go 8-4 those will not be the 4 losses :lol: What in the world was Sip sipping when he came up with that?

It would also mean starting 5-0, but finishing 3-4.  Beating 3 of the top teams on the schedule but still losing to 4 others down the stretch.   It looks like he just expects eggs to be laid on the road no matter the opponent and he thinks NW has our number still.

Some people are assuming Frost's teams are going to have the same psychological issues our past teams in recent memory have had. I.e. losing games to teams that were clearly inferior. (I'm thinking more pre-Riley here - Riley is another story). We're still going to lose some games we shouldn't but that doesn't mean we should be counting on losing one or two or even more of those games every season like before. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, since we don't have results yet, but I'm going to believe that's not going to happen until Frost's teams prove they're going to let it happen. I'm not counting last season since it was year 1, and I didn't consider all the teams we lost to inferior considering how poorly coached we were the previous 3 years.

Long story short, there's no way in hell I'm believing we beat Wisconsin AND Iowa AND OSU and lose to those teams Sipple listed. That's crazy talk. I won't believe a Frost coached team is that emotionally unstable until it actually happens. If we're good enough to beat those 3, I believe we go 11-1 or 12-0 in the regular season.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Some people are assuming Frost's teams are going to have the same psychological issues our past teams in recent memory have had. I.e. losing games to teams that were clearly inferior. (I'm thinking more pre-Riley here - Riley is another story).

Actually I do think that's mostly been a Riley problem. And Callahan if you're going back that far.

49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Actually I do think that's mostly been a Riley problem. And Callahan if you're going back that far.

Riley just sucked. But I always expected to lose a game or 2 we shouldn’t under Pelini. Obviously I prefer the latter. And maybe that’s just the way football is now due to more teams being competitive.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

16 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Riley just sucked. But I always expected to lose a game or 2 we shouldn’t under Pelini. Obviously I prefer the latter. And maybe that’s just the way football is now due to more teams being competitive.

And I think the psychological problems were probably the worst under Pelini. Callahan (culture) Pelini (confidence) and Riley (work ethic, strength & conditioning) was the ultimate 3 punch death knell.

• Fire 1

Moos said he wanted 6 wins ("expected" 6 wins?  I forgot the quote, but sure remember the 6).   My thoughts were pretty close to that at 7 for a great improvement over last season and 2017.  It's been 20 years now since we were relevant at all, but things are in place now for getting to our used-to-be.  I still think it'll take a couple of years, but yes I have my dreams too (Big 10 Championship game).  

We'll see.

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

You might have expected in under Pelini but it rarely happened.  Pelini was very good at beating the teams we should beat.  His issue was not being able to beat the better teams to get us over the hump.

The only teams he ever lost to that ended up with a losing record were Texas in 2010 (5-7) and Northwestern in 2011 (6-7).  He only lost to two teams that finished 7-6 (Iowa State in 2009 in the 8 fumble game and Washington in the 2010 Holiday Bowl rematch).  All the other teams he lost to won at least 8 games that year.  I don't think those would count as "clearly inferior".  He never lost to a non-Power 5 team.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

You might have expected in under Pelini but it rarely happened.  Pelini was very good at beating the teams we should beat.  His issue was not being able to beat the better teams to get us over the hump.

The only teams he ever lost to that ended up with a losing record were Texas in 2010 (5-7) and Northwestern in 2011 (6-7).  He only lost to two teams that finished 7-6 (Iowa State in 2009 in the 8 fumble game and Washington in the 2010 Holiday Bowl rematch).  All the other teams he lost to won at least 8 games that year.  I don't think those would count as "clearly inferior".  He never lost to a non-Power 5 team.  

I'm just going off memory, which can be faulty, but I seem to recall we were favored in a lot of those losses in games that would have gotten us over the hump. Wisconsin in the conference championship comes to mind. And when you're winning 9 or 10 games, you shouldn't look at only teams with losing records as the teams we should have beaten.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm just going off memory, which can be faulty, but I seem to recall we were favored in a lot of those losses in games that would have gotten us over the hump. Wisconsin in the conference championship comes to mind.

Mavric's win total stats are correct,  but Bo lost a fair amount to lower ranked teams, (at the time of the game), which is what you're remembering. 

2009:

#15 Nebraska loses to unranked Texas Tech 

2010:

#9 Nebraska loses to #18 A&M

2011:

#17 Nebraska loses by 28 to #20 Michigan

2012:

#16 Nebraska loses to unranked UCLA

#14 Nebraska loses by 39 to unranked Wisconsin

2013:

#25 Nebraska loses to unranked Minnesota

2014:

#11 Nebraska loses by 35 to #22 Wisconsin

#21 Nebraska loses to unranked Minnesota 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I'm just going off memory, which can be faulty, but I seem to recall we were favored in a lot of those losses in games that would have gotten us over the hump. 

That's fine.  But that a significantly different argument than losing to "clearly inferior" teams.