Frost presser and big play comments

lo country

Watching the presser after the game, Frost makes a comment about the offense needing to get more big plays, that we had two chunk plays and he's not used to that with calling plays in this offense (scheme).  Went on to say they need more chunk plays so they are not having to grind out 12 play drives....

My question/comments are this.  IMHO, if we don't get the "chunk" plays it appears from watching the games and his own comment that we are not built to score by grinding it out.  That we are a "big or bust" offense.  Also concerning that scoring quick doesn't help the D at all.  And that if we continue to"force" chunk plays and play calling does this set us up for more 3 and outs.  He mentions trouble running between the tackles again today.  Again, inability to do this would also impact the "chunk"plays and force him into play calling that this "scheme" might not be built for.

The comments by Frost also like Chins and wanting a D to get TO's to get the ball back to the O.  IIRC, he really wasn't concerned with stats, just the wins.  Ultimately this is true, however if yu are not getting the TO's, much like Frost's "chunk" plays, do either have a plan B?  Or ability to adjust?

Presser here.  Comments on "chunk" plays at the 1:48 mark

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1kvJpRDkLyMKE

I heard those comments too, and I literally cringed.

Nebraska doesn't & shouldn't need "chunk" plays to make it's offense work.

What Nebraska's offense needs is a handful of plays that consistently get between 4-6 yards. These should be the plays that Nebraska's offense is built upon that set-up the big chunk plays.

To use a baseball analogy:

If we take what Frost was saying at face value, he wants his offense to consistently hit triples & homers for it to work.

When in reality what Nebraska truly needs is an offense that gets consistant singles.

• Plus1 2

Frost needs a strong running game to be successful at Nebraska. It can still have the same look, but it needs to be there. That’s my biggest worry in year 2. There is no inside run game so far and it doesn’t look to be an easy fix. The weather in Nebraska in late October and on can be very volatile, with wind, rain, snow, and cold all being factors. 

8 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I heard those comments too, and I literally cringed.

Nebraska doesn't & shouldn't need "chunk" plays to make it's offense work.

What Nebraska's offense needs is a handful of plays that consistently get between 4-6 yards. These should be the plays that Nebraska's offense is built upon that set-up the big chunk plays.

To use a baseball analogy:

If we take what Frost was saying at face value, he wants his offense to consistently hit triples & homers for it to work.

When in reality what Nebraska truly needs is an offense that gets consistant singles.

But this isn't the Watson/Pelini power spread scheme. Frost's scheme is built on speed, efficiency, and big plays... finesse, go where the defense isn't, and score quickly. Having long sustained drives just isn't in his scheme. I hope he can evolve and tweak his system some to make it so. I'm with you, I'd like to see consistency and not rely on home run plays all the time.

2 minutes ago, FTW said:

But this isn't the Watson/Pelini power spread scheme. Frost's scheme is built on speed, efficiency, and big plays... finesse, go where the defense isn't, and score quickly. Having long sustained drives just isn't in his scheme. I hope he can evolve and tweak his system some to make it so. I'm with you, I'd like to see consistency and not rely on home run plays all the time.

What worries me is that USA and now CU have taken away a huge part of the offense by delaying blitzes and stunts.  Now imagine Wisky, Iowa and OSU doing this....We won't have an offense.  I'm all for the speed.  Not a fan of finesse.  There are times that a hammer is the correct tool for the job and we do not have that. Nor a plan to counter 4 beating 5OL like traps or counters or draw plays...

9 minutes ago, lo country said:

What worries me is that USA and now CU have taken away a huge part of the offense by delaying blitzes and stunts.  Now imagine Wisky, Iowa and OSU doing this....We won't have an offense.  I'm all for the speed.  Not a fan of finesse.  There are times that a hammer is the correct tool for the job and we do not have that. Nor a plan to counter 4 beating 5OL like traps or counters or draw plays...

I do think Riley set us back with all the pass blocking OL he brought in. We need some beefy hard nosed Raiola/Fonoti/Incognito type guys ASAP. I think Mills offers more to the table as a runner. I just think our linemen aren't that good at run blocking on the inside and he can't get to 2nd gear.

It's a serious weakness that needs to be addressed. I believe the FOX announces mentioned it a couple times. I can really see us struggling on offense against Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc. The B1G have some quick defenses and without that inside run game going for us, good Lord B1G teams will be flying to the outside teeing off on AM, Washington, Wandale for those TFL's and sacks.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, FTW said:

I do think Riley set us back with all the pass blocking OL he brought in. We need some beefy hard nosed Raiola/Fonoti/Incognito type guys ASAP. I think Mills offers more to the table as a runner. I just think our linemen aren't that good at run blocking on the inside and he can't get to 2nd gear.

It's a serious weakness that needs to be addressed. I believe the FOX announces mentioned it a couple times. I can really see us struggling on offense against Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc. The B1G have some quick defenses and without that inside run game going for us, good Lord B1G teams will be flying to the outside teeing off on AM, Washington, Wandale for those TFL's and sacks.

I think it speaks volumes to the fact the Jurgenson is the center and never played the position.  Frost likes his athleticism and "nasty" streak.  Frost appears to be getting those guys with Fritzsche and Bernhart.  Any chance we see them this year?

Until we get guys who are earth movers, we are in trouble.  I think teams have figured out how to confuse Martinez.  Teams like you mentioned will t-off against this offense without an inside running game.

33 minutes ago, FTW said:

I hope he can too, and I think he will.

As brutally tough, and inexcusible as this loss to Colorado is...in the long run it could very well be a blessing in disguise.

Two losses like this, and in the way they happened...to an old Big 8 rival...will not sit well with Frost. I have no doubt he will adjust.

Many of Scott Frost's spread offensive concepts are brilliant, especially the way he uses RPO's.  And I am not advocating that he abandon the spread as Nebraska's base offense. What I am suggesting is that Frost's offense is missing 3 elements:

WHAT I THINK FROST'S OFFENSE NEEDS:

1. A few Under Center formations
  2. A few power running plays.
  3. Misdirection
  • A few under center offensive sets. Not many, but a few. Singleback, I-formation...doesn't matter, but just a small few to help with a more downhill running game. (I'd love to see a balanced 2-Tight End Ace Set with Wandale Robinson & JD Spielman as the outside receivers that you could use on fly sweeps, or motion decoys and have Mills be the bruiser up the middle.)
  • Lead Blocking. Downhill running concepts for 3 yards or less. Go back and look at last year's games, and even this year. Look how Nebraska struggled on many 2nd & 3rd downs where they needed 3 yards. Besides our Empty set, where we have an RPO where Adrian has the option to pass or follow pulling tackle on our QB-Dart play, I can't think of many running plays where we have utlilized a lead blocker for our running backs specifically. It's been mostly inside zone, split-zone, or outside zone.
  • Misdirection. Besides the use of Read-Option plays where the defense has to respect Adrian as a runner, this offense needs the threat of misdirection specifically from running backs. Any kind of Counter play, even as a change up, would help open up our zone running...not to mention also assist in the play-action game as well.

Frost will get this turned around. I'm confidant he will.

He lost today, and some of his coaching decisions cost us. Dare I say he might have been humbled a little bit.

All that said he is still the right man for Nebraska.

• Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I hope he can too, and I think he will.

As brutally tough, and inexcusible as this loss to Colorado is...in the long run it could very well be a blessing in disguise.

Two losses like this, and in the way they happened...to an old Big 8 rival...will not sit well with Frost. I have no doubt he will adjust.

Many of Scott Frost's spread offensive concepts are brilliant, especially the way he uses RPO's. But Frost's offense is missing 3 elements:

WHAT I THINK FROST'S OFFENSE NEEDS:

1. A few Under Center formations
  2. A few power running plays.
  3. Misdirection
  • A few under center offensive sets. Not many, but a few. Singleback, I-formation...doesn't matter, but just a small few to help with a more downhill running game. (I'd love to see a balanced 2-Tight End Ace Set with Wandale Robinson & JD Spielman as the outside receivers that you could use on fly sweeps, or motion decoys and have Mills be the bruiser up the middle.)
  • Lead Blocking. Downhill running concepts for 3 yards or less. Go back and look at last year's games, and even this year. Look how Nebraska struggled on many 2nd & 3rd downs where they needed 3 yards. Besides our Empty set, where we have an RPO where Adrian has the option to pass or follow pulling tackle on our QB-Dart play, I can't think of many running plays where we have utlilized a lead blocker for our running backs specifically. It's been mostly inside zone, split-zone, or outside zone.
  • Misdirection. Besides the use of Read-Option plays where the defense has to respect Adrian as a runner, this offense needs the threat of misdirection specifically from running backs. Any kind of Counter play, even as a change up, would help open up our zone running...not to mention also assit in the play-action game as well.

Frost will get this turned around. I'm confidant he will.

He lost today, and some of his coaching decisions cost us. Dare I say he might have been humbled a little bit.

All that said he is still the right man for Nebraska.

I for one think SF needs to turn AM loose. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. They have to be willing to take the hits. It appears the few times we line up under center it's a gimmick play and we fail. Looks like they don't know how to run plays under center.

I think the offensive line is really not that good, period. This explains why they run certain formations and plays repeatedly because I think they're weak up front.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FTW said:

I for one think SF needs to turn AM loose. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. They have to be willing to take the hits. It appears the few times we line up under center it's a gimmick play and we fail. Looks like they don't know how to run plays under center.

I think the offensive line is really not that good, period. This explains why they run certain formations and plays repeatedly because I think they're weak up front.

This is what kills me.  I couldve sworn the staff said that they would be more free to use Martinez as they now have QB depth....He seems "off" to me.  Maybe he truly is completely stunned by the delayed blitzes and can't go through post snap reads...

3 minutes ago, irafreak said:

I still can't believe he walked out onto the field for that penalty after the kickoff return fumble. I mean don't we have a guy that holds frosts pants and stops him from doing that?

Or the team had to take a TO after the kick off....

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, irafreak said:

I still can't believe he walked out onto the field for that penalty after the kickoff return fumble. I mean don't we have a guy that holds frosts pants and stops him from doing that?

After he pissed his pants throughout the game, would you want to be the one to grab them?

• Haha 4

Nebraska's offense has major personnel issues. The interior of the o line is just bad and i dont know if that's something you can fix in one season. Cam has been an offensive lineman for a very short period of time and the guards dont look like they're ready for prime time let alone a sun belt team and a pac 12 bottom dweller. Might be time to slide the elder farniok inside and let benhart learn on the job at right tackle.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1