This Team Is Scared Of Husker Legacy

7 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

How does your QB gain trust in our coach that he is doing whats best for him in that situation as well, everyone heard it for what it was including Adrian.

I might be missing your point.  Does Frost trust Martinez?  In the totality of their relationship?  I'm sure.  With the game on the line, last night?  I don't think so.  Next week against NIU?  Sure.  I'm thinking it was more situational than a definitive statement on the season moving forward.  

I  heard "we held onto the ball too long" in that same presser.  I'm sure Martinez heard "Martinez held onto the ball too long".  That's what I heard.  When I hear "we looked at running plays...didn't want to throw an IT in OT", as a competitor I am hearing coach doesn't think I can get it done.  Nor does he trust me, the leading rusher to try and run......My number isn't called.  Why not.....

I also step back and look at my 7-17 performance in the 2nd half and realize through a combination of play calling, drops, poor throws and decisions, maybe I didn't earn his trust...

I am confident that those questions have already been asked and answered and we will not be privy to any of it.  Both are in a trick bag as Martinez is his guy and a captain....The team doesn't need the distraction moving forward.  Flush and forget.  Next game up.

4 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Frost opened his press conference by saying I told the team this one is on me. How much more responsibility can he take than the entire loss? 

Well the thing is you only get a few times to do that. Maybe only once. It’s kind of like “apologizing” at the press conference. 

10 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

Well the thing is you only get a few times to do that. Maybe only once. It’s kind of like “apologizing” at the press conference. 

I was replying to a post that said he lost respect for Frost for not taking responsibility. I pointed out that he did. Idk what point you're trying to make here but it has nothing to do with what I was saying here. 

4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I was replying to a post that said he lost respect for Frost for not taking responsibility. I pointed out that he did. Idk what point you're trying to make here but it has nothing to do with what I was saying here. 

My point is we are reaching the end of the honeymoon and the easy. You can only “point the thumb” and blame the previous staff for so long. 

And frankly this staff did that publicly too much. Hopefully this loss causes them to be a little more humble and to fix it. 

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I still love seeing the we lack talent argument like CU has so much of it. 

Almost as good as “Frost inherited a dumpster fire”. Makes you wonder what the first year CU coach inherited 

2 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

My point is we are reaching the end of the honeymoon and the easy. You can only “point the thumb” and blame the previous staff for so long.

Nick Saban still blames himself when Alabama underperforms. If Frost thinks he didn't perform then he should say that whether it's the first or 50th time he says it. 

1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Nick Saban still blames himself when Alabama underperforms. If Frost thinks he didn't perform then he should say that whether it's the first or 50th time he says it. 

I’ve always found it curious when Nebraska fan compares our current coach to Nick Saban. It’s never really been too good of a comparison since 1997. 

3 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

I’ve always found it curious when Nebraska fan compares our current coach to Nick Saban. It’s never really been too good of a comparison since 1997. 

Oh good grief. Fine. 

Every coach in the country, no matter their experience blames himself when his team underperforms if it was his fault. 

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

And frankly this staff did that publicly too much. Hopefully this loss causes them to be a little more humble and to fix it. 

Almost as good as “Frost inherited a dumpster fire”. Makes you wonder what the first year CU coach inherited 

It was absolutely a dumpster fire. Might still be burning...

7 hours ago, Scratchtown said:

Maybe its just me but when I watch other games of other schools they always seem to be playing super hard, and I haven't gotten a feeling of a Nebraska team playing crazy hard for some time. Also, am I naive to think that QB's that play NU always have hay day's? I swear Montez will play like dog poo next week. You watch...

Montez struggled most of the game. He is a good QB though 

The Husker Legacy and Having Faith.

Having faith is a given for any sports fan. No one would follow a team if their expectation was that they would be losers.

The question is, have faith in... WHAT? In winning the next game? In having a “good” season, whatever that means? That the “rebuild” will work? And what constitutes whether or not it’s working? A division title? A good bowl game? Final Four?

Everyone has faith and everyone has faith in their own version of it.

The Husker football team can be good again. Real good. But, for those who have actual memories of the great Husker teams of the 1970s and 1990s, the reality is that THOSE Huskers - meaning, of that kind of national dominance - will not be happening. The Huskers benefitted from being at the right place (dominate Blue Blood program) at the right time (era) to occupy such dominance. Things have changed forever since then. Conferences and programs caught up.

The Southeast Conference became the real Blue Bloods of our age. Traditional powers like Ohio State and Oklahoma have been able to hold on to their lofty places.

Programs like Michigan and Notre Dame and Penn State slipped but are close to getting back to what they once were.

Proud legacy programs like Nebraska and Tennessee and Texas and Southern California slipped and are having a harder time climbing back up the mountain.

New powers like Clemson and Central Florida (and Baylor before their troubles got them) came along and capturer the attention of young top talent.

It’s a much different world now for the Huskers. This doesn’t mean that they can’t ever win another National title. They could. But now it’s much harder than the hard road it used to be before.

Yes, have faith. But put your faith in enjoying the Huskers for what they are today at whatever place they find themselves in. It’s still the Big Red. It’s still Nebraska. It’s still a Saturday and the Sea of Red. It’s still the greatest college football fans in the universe. They can win the next game... and the next...

Have faith in that.