Throttling Down in the 3rd Quarter

knapplc

36 minutes ago, The Maudfather said:

This team needs a talk similar to Leach at TT: 

Always interesting to hear Mike Leach talk but it's N/A.  We haven't gone 11-2 since forever ago.  We've been rolling around in the mud scrapping with teams like NIU and Illinois for years now.  How the team could possibly think we're too good to play any team would be incomprehensible. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Always interesting to hear Mike Leach talk but it's N/A.  We haven't gone 11-2 since forever ago.  We've been rolling around in the mud scrapping with teams like NIU and Illinois for years now.  How the team could possibly think we're too good to play any team would be incomprehensible. 

The point is that some players might have that attitude because they are playing at Nebraska and some teams won back in the 90s.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

They are drunk on thinking "We are Nebraska," and the Nebraska they think they are, that they are told they are, that all the wall art in all the athletic facilities tells them they are, is the 1980s & 1990s teams that won conference & national championships.

They have GOT to stop thinking that way. None of this will get better until they do.

So a kid comes to play at Nebraska. They see, 'I PLAY FOR NEBRASKA' before the go onto the field. They see the trophies and the championships. The coach invites former legendary players to participate in the players' right of passage traditions. They play in a premiere stadium in America. No matter how much they suck, 90,000 fans come and scream their heads off with undying passion, and maybe 40,000 travel with them to other venues. 

Seems to me they might not ever stop thinking that way as long as we keep selling out the stadium. How can they when when there's still so much obsession and devotion? What consequences are there to the players not getting it done, other than personally feeling bummed out?

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

So a kid comes to play at Nebraska. They see, 'I PLAY FOR NEBRASKA' before the go onto the field. They see the trophies and the championships. The coach invites former legendary players to participate in the players' right of passage traditions. They play in a premiere stadium in America. No matter how much they suck, 90,000 fans come and scream their heads off with undying passion, and maybe 40,000 travel with them to other venues. 

Seems to me they might not ever stop thinking that way as long as we keep selling out the stadium. How can they when when there's still so much obsession and devotion? What consequences are there to the players not getting it done, other than personally feeling bummed out?

I get your point but this isn’t the fans fault. 

It comes down to motivation and coaching. We’ve had major problems with this over the last two decades and the trend now with the latest coach is starting to look disturbingly familiar. 

This is is going to be an interesting week, Frost has a lot of work in front of him. 

5 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I bet it felt strange typing that :)

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Personally, I don't think this is the problem.  

I believe the players KNOW they are expected to win and they worked their asses off in the off season to get better.  

There is something missing on offense.  But, I don't believe it's them thinking they can just go out and half a$$ it and win.  Now, they might have had a little of that coming out in the third quarter.  But, they did not start the game with that attitude.  And...I don't believe they had that attitude in the off season.  PAST teams had that in the off season.  I don't believe this team had that.

5 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Remove scholarships due to poor performance on the field! 

All joking aside, there really isn't much you can do. Maybe personally feeling bummed out is worse than anything else. We live in a soft generation coddled around social media and the internet.

4 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

I get your point but this isn’t the fans fault. 

It comes down to motivation and coaching. We’ve had major problems with this over the last two decades and the trend now with the latest coach is starting to look disturbingly familiar. 

This is is going to be an interesting week, Frost has a lot of work in front of him. 

I'm not saying it's the fans' fault but isn't it a little bit weird that so many of the same problems have plagued this program for 15+ years now through four different coaching staffs? We've had brand new fresh blood EVERYWHERE around this team several times, and still see the same negative trends show back up somehow?

Either we really are cursed, or the overall culture in Nebraska/Lincoln has some sort of negative impact and overbearing weight on the program, or there's some other sort of undefined cloud that is bigger than the circumstances of any of these coaching staffs or any of these years. We're snakebit. We've been snakebit since 2001.

11 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I'm not saying it's the fans' fault but isn't it a little bit weird that so many of the same problems have plagued this program for 15+ years now through four different coaching staffs? We've had brand new fresh blood EVERYWHERE around this team several times, and still see the same negative trends show back up somehow?

Either we really are cursed, or the overall culture in Nebraska/Lincoln has some sort of negative impact and overbearing weight on the program, or there's some other sort of undefined cloud that is bigger than the circumstances of any of these coaching staffs or any of these years. We're snakebit. We've been snakebit since 2001.

I think a lot of it lies in the admin. Sure we’ve “cleaned house” from a coaching standpoint, but I think there’s a lot of apathy and old guard in North Stadium. 

Plus, I think we’re victims of our past success. I’m starting to think we get similar results with every regime because we force every regime into a Tom-Osborne-shaped mold.

Some regimes have been better at fitting into the mold than others, but when we see the same types of points of failure...eventually you have consider the possibility that the mold itself is part of the problem.

13 minutes ago, Landlord said:

or the overall culture in Nebraska/Lincoln has some sort of negative impact and overbearing weight on the program

I do think this one looms large.

At UCF, there probably wasn't much fear of failure for anyone involved because there was wasn't much pressure. Here, it seems that Frost has to try to ingrain this message into the team because the pressure really is such a big factor.

There's a flip side of that though, obviously, in that there's some motivation knowing that there are fans out there who even watch practice report videos, let alone every game being sold out, and taking over other teams' stadiums with our fans. 

But the pressure aspect is big. Bo resented it and created an 'us against the world' psychology. Frost embraces it because he's Scott Frost, but the only thing that really takes the pressure off is turning things around.

It could be the fans. Maybe someone put some voodoo witch craft spell on the program? Nah.

Imagine building a great big fancy house and you had all your friends and family visit for years and years. You even had a few strangers come along the way. Most of the time, they left upset because they left the dinner table empty handed. Other times people got lucky with a few steals here and there and then one day... A few unwanted associates (kind of like the mob) came in and destroyed every single piece of that household all the way down to the foundation, kicked everyone out, and it was Ignorant Steve who said, "Ah, the mediocrity of this house! Let's turn this into a west coast California beach house and rent it out to a used car salesman who can spice the interior up a bit!"

After a few years, the old home owner who ran the house for over 25 years was furious with everything they had done and returned. He ordered the car salesman to leave! The former owner having rid of the salesman and Ignorant Steve -- proceeded, unbeknownst to him that he would allow a borderline psychopathic maniac live in the household for 7 long years. The old owner, who was tired and worn out from trying to fix things, gladly stepped aside while others say some disloyal family members forced him out.

A couple lawyers decided to take ownership of the household and they believed they could try to mend the image of the household and get it's neighbors and enemies to "like them" because they thought we needed to be "nicer." So these lawyers, they brought in none other than Grandpa Michael who was oblivious to the households past. He felt like he had won the lottery. But everyone knew he had about a .500 chance of making the household great again. Grandpa Mike, he completely forgot to take care of the new household, got his down payment back, AND he received a nice going away gift along with a goodbye party! Grandpa Mike then leaves, riding off into the sunset happily ever after.

Then, The Native Son comes to take back the house to make it rightfully his with a whole new blue print to modernize that old household to make it what it once was. Something great! But in the mean time, he has to deal with nagging family members telling him what to do and how to do it. These family members have been visiting the household for over 369 consecutive times every fall. Meanwhile, The Native Son had to kick out a few family members because they slowed down the rebuilding process. He brought in new faces who are being trained on how to do things the right way.

And here we are, The Native Son and his workers haven't even laid the bricks yet and everyone around him is wondering, "WTF is taking so long?!"

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, FTW said:

It could be the fans. Maybe someone put some voodoo witch craft spell on the program? Nah.

Imagine building a great big fancy house and you had all your friends and family visit for years and years. You even had a few strangers come along the way. Most of the time, they left upset because they left the dinner table empty handed. Other times people got lucky with a few steals here and there and then one day... A few unwanted associates (kind of like the mob) came in and destroyed every single piece of that household all the way down to the foundation, kicked everyone out, and it was Ignorant Steve who said, "Ah, the mediocrity of this house! Let's turn this into a west coast California beach house and rent it out to a used car salesman who can spice the interior up a bit!"

After a few years, the old home owner who ran the house for over 25 years was furious with everything they had done and returned. He ordered the car salesman to leave! The former owner having rid of the salesman and Ignorant Steve -- proceeded, unbeknownst to him that he would allow a borderline psychopathic maniac live in the household for 7 long years. The old owner, who was tired and worn out from trying to fix things, gladly stepped aside while others say some disloyal family members forced him out.

A couple lawyers decided to take ownership of the household and they believed they could try to mend the image of the household and get it's neighbors and enemies to "like them" because they thought we needed to be "nicer." So these lawyers, they brought in none other than Grandpa Michael who was oblivious to the households past. He felt like he had won the lottery. But everyone knew he had about a .500 chance of making the household great again. Grandpa Mike, he completely forgot to take care of the new household, got his down payment back, AND he received a nice going away gift along with a goodbye party! Grandpa Mike then leaves, riding off into the sunset happily ever after.

Then, The Native Son comes to take back the house to make it rightfully his with a whole new blue print to modernize that old household to make it what it once was. Something great! But in the mean time, he has to deal with nagging family members telling him what to do and how to do it. These family members have been visiting the household for over 369 consecutive times every fall. Meanwhile, The Native Son had to kick out a few family members because they slowed down the rebuilding process. He brought in new faces who are being trained on how to do things the right way.

And here we are, The Native Son and his workers haven't even laid the bricks yet and everyone around him is wondering, "WTF is taking so long?!"

Is this one of those metaphors I’ve heard so much about?

• Haha 1